Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Two Irish women, 1990 VW, Dublin-to-Gambia ?!

Options
  • 18-12-2006 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

I read in today's Irish Mail On Sunday about two Irish women who are driving a 1990 VW Scirocco GTti from Dublin to Banjul, Gambia as part of the Plymouth-to- Banjul Challenge!

They are the only Irish particpants in this challenge :)

All cars taking part must be bought for £100 (or less)!!

See www.plymouth-banjul.co.uk

They are part of Group 1 and call themselves 'Desert Breeze'.
    (Picture of them and the car on page 72 of todays 'Irish Mail On Sunday'.)

Fair play to them! .........it would make a great TV documentary to follow their exploits!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Didnt 3 Guys do similar a couple of years ago just for the craic,Dublin University students drove to Australia in a 10 year old 3 series with 100,000 miles,had it serviced before they left,no support or anything,just a few maps with routes done out and the necessary visas,went Europe ,India ,China I think.
    Also 2 Irishmen took a london taxi from London to Sydney with the meter running,cant remember what the fare was but they got there,BBC documentry was done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Me and a friend are doing this next year.
    Driving to Ulaan Bator - anyone want a lift?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I was going to do that too, but the 3 guys i was supposed to be doing it with were all mad to do it until they realised it involved some work to organise :rolleyes:

Now I'm starting a new job early in Jan I'd be struggling to get time off, so yet again I wont be able to do it.

Outta curiosity, what vehicle are you gonna use?

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Not 100% which car yet, although i have my eye on a feisty little renault 5 - which should be fun as myself and the other dude are not the smallest chaps in the world......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Not 100% which car yet, although i have my eye on a feisty little renault 5 - which should be fun as myself and the other dude are not the smallest chaps in the world......

I'd say you'd be lucky to make it to the ferry in a Renault 5 tbh.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I'd go for a beemer like the lads who went to Australia used as I drive one myself, if it were not for the 1litre engine ruling. Maybe an Opel Corsa A would be a candidate they were manufactured up to 1993 and came with a 1litre engine AFAIK probably around 995cc for Tax reasons. Very nippy little car and quite often souped up by the Burberry wearing brigade.

They did have car trouble but if they drove the 17,000miles in it here they would have had trouble too probably but still they are a lovely car to drive. Either that or a Toyota Landcruiser which is keeping most of Africa moving. Set up a web diary and keep us all informed, this thread has made my bookmarks already!

Advertisement