Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about biking around Ireland

Options
  • 18-12-2006 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

I'd like to go from South Derry to maybe Cork, or even take a longer route and drop in on some friends in Dublin, then off to the west coast for a scenic route home. I've been looking into this for the past couple of days, and the thing I'm finding most irratating is the lack of all-Ireland long distance cycling on 'tinternet. Who'd have thought that a political border would stop someone going for a good long ride?

Anyway, I'm not the best cyclist right now although I'm pretty fit as I'm a boxer. Was thinking about cycling to and from work (three milesish) a couple of times a week, then maybe going to and from local towns (ten mileish) at the weekends. Also going to need to get a new bike, I've been using my wee brothers heavy framed job for a while now and I don't care much for it over long distances. Anyone got any general advice for me regarding equipment, planning etc, or good routes to travel?

One more thing is that when cycling to work before, I found the hardest parts were the cold on the hands and the face. I see that there seem to be some good gloves on the market, and I'll certainly look into those, but what do you lads and lasses do about the face? I saw some face mask/balaclavas on some of those bike shop sites, but I don't really want to be cycling down a road looking like a provo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hi Zonko.

Exactly what kind of info were you disappointed not to find?

Regarding touring style cycling, you can use pretty much any kind of bike. I toured in France twice on a mountain bike with slick tyres with a tent on the back. Advice re: equipment is to not spend too much cash until you're happy that it's something you'll use again - cycling gear is expensive!

Re: fitness - don't worry too much about it. From boxing you have a decent enough aerobic level and that'll get you through the first couple of days. By day 3 of a tour you'll feel improvements from just being on the bike.

Cold - get some good gloves. Some people use a "buff" which is basically a sort of scarf like they have in the wild west. A cheap option I've heard of is to cut an arm off a cotton t-shirt and pull that down over your face. Haven't tried it yet :)

HTH,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Um, are you planning it for now or waiting for the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

I'm waiting for the summer, I'm thinking about spending a week or so of my two weeks summer holiday cycling. The info I was dissapointed not to find was suggested routes or cycle paths. Although of course, it's not too difficult to make my own plans, going by a well travelled one would be handy. As for a bike again, I'd like to get something that's light, pretty good quality and reliable, then holding onto it for a few decades maybe. I'm willing to spend close to e1000 on one, as I'd want to be able to use it as my main source of travel (car insurance for me once I get round to getting my test is going to be around £2200GBP). Any advice on what to look for? Also, I'd rather buy online for various reasons, one of which being the lack of decent bike shops around. Thanks for all the advice, certainly taken it onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

In summer you won't be worrying about the cold! Bring light raingear though.

My best holidays were all spent touring Ireland on bicycle with friends - I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Also, if you are generally fit, as has been noted by previous poster, you will adapt to the cycling distance very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Trojan wrote:
    Some people use a "buff" which is basically a sort of scarf like they have in the wild west.
    I use a Buff for my face. My nose gets quite cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That's the one daymo. Ok, maybe that wasn't the best comparison I've ever made :)

Chain Reaction Cycles are in Ballyclare which is up the north somewhere - near you? They're excellent for bike stuff, dead cheap, and free delivery too. If you're buying a complete bike off them you might even be able to call into them - give them a ring.

At a 1k price point I'd be looking at a Tiagra/105-equipped touring bike maybe the Trek 520.

nipplenuts wrote:
    In summer you won't be worrying about the cold! Bring light raingear though.
    Are you from the same Ireland as me? :P

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone, some of it's going to help a lot by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Plan out a rough route, then search the internet for cycling clubs in those counties, and email them asking for the best roads to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-make-ninja-mask-out-of-t-shirt.html

I use this method for a makeshift balaclava, and it just exposes your eyes to the cold which is perfect for these mornings. If your mouth or nose gets too damp or hot you can easily adjust.

No long-distance Ireland-cycling tips other than this for possible face-protection though :) Other than to buy a decent road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

kincsem wrote:
    Plan out a rough route, then search the internet for cycling clubs in those counties, and email them asking for the best roads to use.
    Or, get some detailed maps, stay off the main roads and look for small roads with interesting hill contours and the occasional ancient monument marked. Getting lost is a great excuse to speak with some locals.

Routes are personal choices affected by aesthetic preference and physical ability. Club routes may well be group-training routes rather than offering a good tourist experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take a look at the long distance walking trails. Many of these are on quiet country lanes, not too steep but some individual off-road sections will be unsuitable for bikes.

I take it you all wear helmets when going for long distance rides? I know I probably should, but I've never worn a helmet on a bike in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

How much mileage are you thinking of doing per day?
    Try to ride "one days distance" as often as you can before then - a riding position/ pair of gloves/shorts or a saddle that seems fine over 20 miles can seem totally different after 60!

You will need time and probably some advice to sort out a riding position for high mileage. I would recommend getting a decent bike shop to fit you for a bike if you will be covering high mileages.

I did 400 miles over 4 days last summer and the chafing was something else by the end, even with half decent shorts. (although I am a fat ass)

There are creams etc you can get for your shorts to minimise this. Also, although I don't have one myself, Brooks leather saddles are generally highly recommended but they need to be broken in over several cycles. Don't just get a new one a few days before you set off!

There are different things you could try as warm up events:
    Ring of Kerry Cyle - charity event, start of july. 110 miles. Ranges from ould lads on postmans bikes to actual fit people on road bikes.
    Wicklow 200, more challenging, higher standard I would expect. Don't know much else.
    http://www.wicklow200.ie
    Border Trek - might suit you, given the location http://www.cooperationireland.org/?q=news/20061108
    Probably others out there, these are just the ones I've heard of.

FYI - I was have a Trek 1000, around the 700euro mark. Gave me no trouble but over about 1200+ miles last year except for crap handlebar tape. Easily fixed.
    We covered on average 100 miles a day without major hassle, but this was in a large group using strong riders at the front. This gives a big advantage to the likes of me, as someone else is doing the hardest work fighting wind resistance and weaker riders just slipstream behind. You will work harder on your own, especially into a headwind. Best to stay close to home until you find your limits.

Helmets have improved a lot over the years, now less geeky. To be honest the lycra bothers me a lot more - wearing a helmet and shades will at least make it harder for people to recognise you in the lycra...

Not sure about milage just yet, I guess I'd need to get biking first before I decide on that. There don't seem to be too many bike shops nearby, there's one called chain reaction cycles not too far away, but they have a very limited selection of road bikes. Largely looking at the Trek 520, as someone suggested it here earlier and it seems to be well hailed on many different bike related websites, but chain reaction told me in an email they're not really a Trek stockist. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement