Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys & Imagine broadband

Options
  • 18-12-2006 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having major problems setting up a "Linksys Wireless N ADSL2+ Gateway" (WAG300N) in Skerries.

ISP is imagine but the modem is having problems connecting. I'm pretty sure the problem is not Imagine but rather the line itself. There are about 8 phone sockets in the house. The wiring isn't accessible but I've managed to disconnect about 6 of these sockets leaving one near the entry point connected. Connected to this, the device sometimes connects (DSL light on) but usually fails after a couple of seconds with the "DSL" light going out. Rebooting might reconnect but it mainly fails with the DSL light blinking for a few seconds then stopping then starting again after a minute. The ISP supplied modem fairs better connecting about 8/10 times but hesitant most of the time before connecting.

The previous device - a linksys job worked fine but had a poor wireless range hence the replacement - a WAG300N from PCWorld. This new device was replaced thinking it may be faulty but the replacement was the same.

All the settings have been checked and double checked plus the device works perfectly in Swords on IOLBB ! All phones unplugged and filters used on phones when connected.

Anyone have an opinion or suggestion before I call the phone company requesting a line check ?

ZEN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

sounds ilke a short on the line or a loose wire in the socketing. Find the NTU ( Eircom master Socket, or if you house is a tad older it might just be a thick grey wire coming into a small whiteish box about 2 or 3 inches wide ) disconnect whatever is plugged into this NTU ( or if its the case of the older whiteish tap-point box , follow it to the first socket it meets and use that as the equivalent of your NTU )

Now plug your modem directly into this using a supplied phone cable. If you are still having issues, with more than one relatively new ( < 2 years old ) then the issue is most likely on the line to the exchange.

If this is the case, contact imagine first to see if they can do anything on their side first or get some action from eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Thanks for the reply, as I said the wiring is inaccessible (new wooden floors and tiles) so I can't see the wiring. From what I know of the area, the houses are about 30 years old and there are no poles in the estate so I assume they are fed underground, because of this I can't even find where the line enters the house.

There is a socket near the front door which has what looks like the cable P&T used to use. It's a twisted pair, one core grey the other white with a diameter of about 0.5mm with no outer protection. I've assumed that this is the main line in but there is no Master Socket in the house and have disconnected everything (6 from 8) I can after this.

I think myself this is a line problem to be honest, my own house has 4 extensions and this modem works fine on the last one in the line.

Do you think I'll get grief from Eircom because the guy is an Imagine customer ? Is contacting Imagine just a procedure too get them to contact Eircom or will imagine actually check it them selves ?

Thanks in advance.

ZEN

Advertisement