Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Power Supply

Options
  • 18-12-2006 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Recently ordered a 7600GT to give my crummy Dimension 8300 a bit of a face lift. Anywhoo apparently im gonna need a 300W power supply and the generic factory model i have is only 250W. Do you reckon i might get away with it (dont have anything major attatched to the motherboard!) & if not where might I get one handy that "works" ? Komplett have plenty but dont specify what they might work with and knowing dell the one i have is far from standard, Cheers in advance by the way!
    Rowan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You may get away with the 250 Watt unit. But if you need a replacement 300W don't buy it from Dell, they will rip you off for what is a standard ATX PSU.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

250 should be fine. a 8800gtx will run from 450W.

I had a shuttlw with a 250W and it ran a 6800ultra no probs, and 2 dvd drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You may get away with the 250 Watt unit. But if you need a replacement 300W don't buy it from Dell, they will rip you off for what is a standard ATX PSU.

Are you sure dell have standard ATX power supply's? Ive been out of the loop for a year or so but they used to have the same ATX connector but the voltage lines were switched. IE Not the standard layout.......

I nearly found this out the hard way. Its something you really should check, that is if you actually need a new PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Are you sure dell have standard ATX power supply's?

The Dimension 8300 has. But not all Dells have.

Cal.

Advertisement