Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wii straps are quite solid :)

Options
  • 18-12-2006 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/nintendo-wii-straps-are-actually-quite-solid-222326.php
    Nintendo Wii Straps Are Actually Quite Solid
    Not that we haven't harped on the subject enough for today, here's a not-at-all scientific test of how strong the Wii strap is.

A guy put 25 pounds of books, a 100 fl. oz. case of laundry detergent, and a 2.5 gallon water jug on a sling suspended only by a Wii strap and it held just fine. After he added the jug, the contraption flipped and smacked him in the face. Wii strap still intact.

What finally did the strap in was him holding the Wiimote in one hand and the strap in the other, pulling and heaving so hard that he started to shake. This process finally made the strap break off.

Conclusion: regular usage shouldn't break the strap. Advice: don't swing the Wiimote around like goddamn David of Goliath fame

humerous :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Heh, so there must be something else that's breaking all those telly's in America... :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rhyme wrote:
    Heh, so there must be something else that's breaking all those telly's in America... :eek:

Stupidity?

I honestly can't see how people can break their TV's with the Wiimote. It' probably a case of 'I got smashed on Jack Daniels, tried to play Wii Sports/put my foot through the TV for fun, and am now blaming Nintendo for something entirely my fault'. In almost all the pictures the Wiimote strap is clearly cut with a knife and not snapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Once you get used to wearing the strap the dangers to your telly are small. I think lots of the damaged tv's were a result of not wearing the strap at all & stupidity as Retr0 stated.

Saying that though, I think Nintendo should proceed with plans to double the strength just in case another wiimote slips!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I honestly can't see how people can break their TV's with the Wiimote.

I'd believe it.

In one nigh my friend managed:

To hammer my arm as he swung the thing around like a shot put. I still have the bruise;
    Knock a pint over;
    Smash a glass - splitting his finger open in the process;
    Launch the wiimote into the sealing, smashing it open in the process.

He then thought to get the strap.

Much amusement was had by all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The straps breaking looks believable enough from the pics but when you hold it in you hand and use the strap it becomes clear most of the stuff online is as per usual made up, and anything that did happen was probably just a weaker than normal strap that broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

they only way i could see the strap breaking is if you were holding the thing by the strap only and swinging it around like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Without having any first hand experience of the wiimote (but having plenty of first hand experience of stupid people) I'd imagine that most of the broken stuff came as a result of not using the strap; the idiots then cut the straps to try and blame someone else (and maybe get a payout too?).

The first pic I saw of a broken wiimote strap looked far too much like it had been cut; especially given the fact that both sides of the strap were broken in the exact same place, and were both neatly snapped rather than frayed etc.

Advertisement