Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafton St ATM skimming - hoax email?

Options
  • 18-12-2006 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Got this email this morning:

'Just a word of warning from my friend who works for BOI, four bank machines
    on Grafton St have been skimmed in the last two weeks, BOI fraud dept has
    been inundated with calls. The only machines on Grafton St which hadn't
    been skimmed are the two AIB ones.'

I know you should be careful anyway, but anyone know if there's truth to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi

Regardless of wether this is a hoax or not , Be very vigilant around an ATM if there there are a lot of blokes hanging around or if anyone is around you dont like, walk away. I once got done by this lot and this is how it happened

went to the banklink in sept 2005 in Littlepace Clonee friday evening

Very busy at the time noticed three romanians (yes they where romanian) hanging around

When I got to the banklink i noticed a strip across the machine wihich went i went to check came of in my hand.

i turned to find some little romanian asking me could he see it i said no and went to walk away went another one came up to me and shocked me in the leg with a stun gun (he was going for my B**ls but i blocked it in time).

I dropped the device and they grabbed it and ran away , myself and some of the crowd caught one and handed him over to the Gardai but nothing ever came of it.

So in short , the Law dont prosecute these blokes so they will keep doing it and do not rip the thing off unless you have a lot of mates.

If the macjhine looks dodgy at all walk away , remember sometimes the whole face oc the machine is a front

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

whiskeyman wrote:
    I know you should be careful anyway, but anyone know if there's truth to this?

Did you not think of RINGING your friend in BOI to confirm that they sent the mail. If they did then its not a hoax.

Did it come from a name.surname@boi.ie or from some BS address like info@banking365.ie ??

....and the guards rouneded up a Romanian gang around that time Zambia but caught them with machines and all and probably did not need your help in court . They should have had some manners though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Did you not think of RINGING your friend in BOI to
    ....and the guards rouneded up a Romanian gang around that time Zambia but caught them with machines and all and probably did not need your help in court . They should have had some manners though .

Aye Sponge they did but it still begs the question , this bloke shoved a stun gun at my little soldier(:-!) . Granted the Garda caught them for skimming (if it was them) , but surely assault with a weapon in the commision of fraud is worth a few years.

I would love to know what happened that skimming Gang... I would saw their wrist was so sore after the wee slap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

these people are the scum of the earth (long live Borat)..my best mate is from Romania-really decent guy...the worst ones are scum though..mostly from a certain ethnic group me thinks from that country...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

diarmuidh wrote:
    mostly from a certain ethnic group me thinks from that country...

From my experience that unfortunately does seem to be the case, and the really sad thing is that the whole country is paying the price. I've met a fair few very sound Romanian's and it's sad the way they have to put up with the bad rap they get.

It's similiar to people refering to the Irish as bigoted prats who live in the past just because on the actions on one "supposed" political party.

Back on topic, the reason BOI machines may have been targeted instead of AIB is that different companies machines would have slightly different dimensions, so each skimming machine will only fit a particular ATM. It could jsut as well be AIB next month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement