Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is BT still the best option for gaming?

Options
  • 18-12-2006 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Decided to reconnect to the internet today. But after over a year with Irish Broadband I want to subscribe to something that works and that is reliable!

I used to have BT and although my ping when gaming was a little high (pity their upload is so low...) at least the connection was stable.

My question is, who is the best ISP for gaming? And don't tell me NTL cos I can't get them where I live! :( And no wireless cr@p either, obviously... ;)

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I have BT now switcehd from Eircom, the connection is crap and keeps on freezing and knocking off. Eircom was alot better, never had any problems with it, the only reason im staying with BT is because the package is alot cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

thehamo wrote:
    I have BT now switcehd from Eircom, the connection is crap and keeps on freezing and knocking off. Eircom was alot better, never had any problems with it, the only reason im staying with BT is because the package is alot cheaper!
    Cr@p... That's the kind of thing I didn't want to hear... :mad:

Just checked SMART website and my Exchange isn't even on their Network Build Program anymore...

I hate it when we're 10 years behind everybody else technolgy-wise! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Have had BT for 6 months now and been playing COD2 all the time without a bother until the last two weeks. Experienced a few lost connections during that time (roughly two a night) but it seems to have improved again since late last week. No problems over the weekend.

I used to have ClearWire until BT became available where I live. I told ClearSh*te where to shove their dialup service immediately. Overall I would give BT a thumbs up for gaming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thehamo wrote:
    I have BT now switcehd from Eircom, the connection is crap and keeps on freezing and knocking off.

Thats an eircom problem from the sound of it eircom control the 'dsl light' so if it goes its between you and the eircom exchange. It could also be caused by a ****ty sporadically faulty zyxel modem supplied by BT so go buy this one for €24.99 and see if it works better.

Ludo wrote:
    Have had BT for 6 months now and been playing COD2 all the time without a bother until the last two weeks. Experienced a few lost connections during that time (roughly two a night) but it seems to have improved again since late last week. No problems over the weekend.
    That's exactly why I want to get the internet again! I miss CoD2! And my old team is perstering me to start playing again... I'll have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get BT again and I'm hoping I'll be happy with the service from the start! :o

What's your ping like on UK servers Ludo? How about on German/French servers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless you are smallish number of BT LLU customers, BT's DSL is same as anyone's.

There are 3, 4 or more Wireless technologies in use in Ireland. Only one is not "broadband" performance. Some are as good or better than bitstream DSL.

Don't tar all Wireless with same brush. It's like claiming all men are rapists.

watty wrote:
    It's like claiming all men are rapists.
    Deep down we all are though... We just don't have the courage to spen 15 years in jail! :p

Seriously though, which wireless broadband provider would you recommend? I had IBB and obviously they're just not good enough for my high standards (that's "high" to them; I find my standards totally legitimate and quite average).

I tried to get Magnet once but had no LoS. I think they put up a new mast though so could try that again... However, I see a lot of people complaining about Magnet Wireless. Looks to me like IBB all over again...

I tried to get Magnet once but had no LoS. I think they put up a new mast though so could try that again... However, I see a lot of people complaining about Magnet Wireless. Looks to me like IBB all over again...
    Actually it wasn't Magnet I tried that time, it was Digiweb Metro. Is there a difference though? Probably not...

Just found out Magnet was ADSL2+ with 1:1 contention ratio. Subscribed straight away! Won't have to deal with BT or Eircom anymore! HURRAY!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That's exactly why I want to get the internet again! I miss CoD2! And my old team is perstering me to start playing again... I'll have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get BT again and I'm hoping I'll be happy with the service from the start! :o

What's your ping like on UK servers Ludo? How about on German/French servers?

Generally around 50 to UK servers constantly. To be honest I'm not sure what it is to German/French ones as I generally play on the one server all the time, with only brief excursions to other ones to check out new maps.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote:
    Generally around 50 to UK servers constantly. To be honest I'm not sure what it is to German/French ones as I generally play on the one server all the time, with only brief excursions to other ones to check out new maps.
    Thanks for the reply Ludo! Went with Magnet in the end... Same price as BT but I get ADSL2+ with 4Mb and with 1:1 contention! Ping should be perfect (fingers crossed)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I have a BT connection and its great for gaming.mind you I got rid of the supplied modem and using a linksys, much much better.
    Ping times for gaming either WoW or for FPS is excellent, just as I said get rid of the BT supplied modem I had lots of issues with that with DNS disconnects, no VPNing. P.S im only on a 1Mb connection never mind 3 + .

I have a BT connection and its great for gaming.mind you I got rid of the supplied modem and using a linksys, much much better.
    Ping times for gaming either WoW or for FPS is excellent, just as I said get rid of the BT supplied modem I had lots of issues with that with DNS disconnects, no VPNing. P.S im only on a 1Mb connection never mind 3 + .
    You and your BT! lol Was going to re-subscribe with them because of you but then I found Magnet! No turning back now!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hey whatever works for you,I hope it works well. I know I havent heard much complaints about Magent, and the 512k up will defo help the old gaming.
    Will u be getting a new phone line installed, as be warded an OLD installed phone line may never reach the 512k

My phone line was only installed a couple of years ago and the exchange is only up the road from me so I'm hoping to get close to the 512Kbps mark...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it will be better than BT and IBB combined so I'm not worried! :p

And if I'm still not happy I'll just move to a new housing estate that has FTTH! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

stefano. you will likely get 6mbps/1mbps on your connection, and pings to jolt.co.uk are 40ms

Once again, thanks JNive!

I actually asked you on the other thread what kind of pings to expect with Magnet. 40ms to Jolt.co.uk sounds very good to me! How about French and German servers (that's where I'll be playing mostly)?

Thanks again! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I get 29ms to 37ms to jolt.co.uk on Metro in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

i get 24ms to jolt.co.uk on bt broadband 3mb ;)

I guess you 2 have proper connections then! Lucky b@st@rds! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I get between 18 and 20ms to jolt.co.uk on eircom in meath.

And here's another one... :rolleyes:

I hope I'll be part of that "lucky b@st@rds" gang when I get Magnet! :p

Advertisement