Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a Dell dimensinon 9100 graphics card

Options
  • 18-12-2006 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

I have a Del dimension 9100 (duel core) but the graphics card I picked is pretty lame!! acutally it's very poor indeed, Radeon ati X300 128mb ... My question is on it's upgradability, Can any one recommend a good (gaming) graphics card that would be compatible with a Dell (not sure if compatibility is an issue anymore but I recall it used to be with some Dells)?
    Also it had been mentioned to me that I may need to change the power supply, again a simple question, can I pick any power suply I need or is there a Dell compatibility issue with this?
    sorry about the dumb questions, any help is much appriciated

I suppose the Questions is if I want to upgrade is there anything I need to know before buying a graphics card or power supply for this Dell dimension 9100?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Dell Dimension 9100 uses the standard PCI-e x16 slot for modern graphics card so you can use anything you want budget permitting.

As for the power supply it appears to be a 375w PSU a decent enough model in that it has the power connector for PCI-e graphics cards at least according to here {connector P12 at the bottom}.

That means you will be able to handle most GPU's bar the Über top of the line models.

If your looking something better than the average but without having to replace the PSU the X1950 Pro is a good choice.

It is an ATI GPU so you wont have to fiddle about with drivers as your current one is also ATI, also always use the latest drivers you can get from from ATI/AMD site (ATI are now owned by AMD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

Thanks 8T8 for this info, that's everything I need to know ...Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sorrry to butt in but I will be selling a X1900XT-X in about a month if ur interested. Am buying a 8800GTX off a mate but would be looking to flog this one off. Was going to put it up for sale on adverts.ie but saw ur post. I was running this on a Dell 9150 with no probs..
    Link is below for the card. Would be looking for about €300 for it as card is only 3 months old.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-056-HT

if u've a card already lined up best of luck and sweet gamine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

Cheers Mathew, but I ordered online last night :D ...
    thanks all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

no worries..enjoy the new card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement