Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Range Problem

• 18-12-2006 11:27am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have recently set up a wireless network at home, which basically consists of one computer connected to a Netopia 2247NWG-VGx supplied by eircom, via ethernet (my computer) and one laptop availing of the wireless functionality of said router.

This is all well and good, however, there is another PC which I want to be included in this network, the problem is that it's two floors below the room where the router is. Moving the router one floor below is awkward (due to wires, and the main phone line), but also ineffective, since that PC in the basement is still out of range. The problem is that the walls of the basement are reminiscent to those of German WWII bunkers, perhaps a slight exaggeration, but you get the picture.

What I'm looking for is some advice on what to do, I openly admit I have zero experience with wireless, I've been a lifetime user of the trusted wire. I've heard talk of access points and what not. I guess what I need is some way of boosting the signal, if that's even possible. A minimal amount of wires would be, I suppose, almost a necessity.

Any help would appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A wireless signal expander such as this would do the job for you. You just need to position it within where the signal is currently available and it will then just repeat the signal out further again. It might be worth playing with the aerials on your existing box first though as the signal is generally stronger going out sideways from the vertical aerial so changing it so that it is pointing horizontal may help with the range to the basement.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Thank you,

However, does anyone have any experience with this product? If so, is it likely to do the trick? I'm reluctant to order it from Komplett as I don't know if it will solve my problem, and returning it would be a pain in the arse. It would be a different story if I could go in somewhere and buy it, somewhere in Dublin, if I had problems I'd simply return it. Any ideas where I could obtain it from, or some similar alternative?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have setup one of the Linksys ones for a friend in the UK to get the signal past the thick stone walls in their house and it works very well with the Linksys router that they already had. I think that they bought it from a PCWorld in the UK although I have not noticed the same thing on their shelves over here.

You might be able to find one in a Peats though if you don't want to order online.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

After doing some Googling, it appears that that device is suitable for Linksys networks, but may have issues with routers made by other manufacturers. Also, the Linksys site even says,
    Note: Speed on the other side of the Range Expander is cut in half. If all you need is a little more coverage, a High Gain antenna might be a better solution.

That is a tad worrying.

So therefore, another option could perhaps be getting some High Gain Attennae. However, the only places in Ireland where I can find them are online shops. I don't suppose anybody would have some experience with these, for example, do they work well. Furthermore, perhaps someone could suggest a shop in the Dublin area where I could purchase some?

Thanks again.

Advertisement