Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercury injured at Armageddon

• 18-12-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

From Rajah:

After his involvement in a bloody Ladder Match at tonight's Armageddon pay-per-view, Joey Mercury had to been taken to a local medical facility. Mercury suffered a possible broken nose and severe lacerations around his left eye after a botched "see-saw" ladder spot by Jeff Hardy. Jeff flew off the top and catapulted the ladder right into Mercury's face. Mercury gasped for air on the floor as his eyes welled up and blood poured onto the floor. Also, his eyes shut immediately. He was quickly taken out of the match. Here is an update on Mercury's status, courtesy of WWE.com:

Update on Joey Mercury
    By Zack Zeigler
    December 17, 2006

According to WWE Dr. Ferdinand Rios, MNM tag team member Joey Mercury suffered what seems to be a broken nose in tonight's Ladder Match with London & Kendrick, MNM, the Hardys and William Regal & Dave Taylor.

Mercury was rushed to the hospital after one of the ladders smashed him in the face and caused his nose to pour blood. Rios said that without a CT scan it isn't possible to know the exact severity of the injury.

"I can't give a prognosis because Mercury could have shattered his frontal bone," said Rios. "Hopefully there isn't any problem in his brain; that blow was so significant there could be some damage and we just couldn't tell [without the CT scan]. But, he didn't seem to have a concussion and his mental status was excellent."

He said that without any complications, Mercury may need plastic surgery and two months to recover before returning to WWE action. WWE.com will continue to follow this story as it unfolds.

After he only returning to the ring and then this happens!! I always thought he was a great wrestler, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

One other thing.....why didn't WWE announce this match....I would of bought it just to see it :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

****!!!!
    its a shame that it happened to him because he only just returned..by the sounds of it sounds like it was some blow that caused all of this.Hopefully it isnt anything too serious and he will recover soon and we will see him soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The update now says that he got 14 stitches on his nose, and 4 inside it. Sounds like he's going to be ok

Opinions of Armageddon seem to be pretty good, I'll have to check some of it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Armageddon was actually pretty good! I decided to treat myself last night and got it and i'm glad I did! The ladder match was f*cking fantastic! Pitty about Mercury, the replays of the ladder shot made me cringe and i'm not normally sqemish (spell?)! Also, JBL's commentary was very good. I'd give it about 7.5-8 out of 10, thats the highest i've given a SmacckDown! PPV in years!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember reading something somewhere (sorry for being so percise) that the E were considering to always add something un-announced to PPVs, they figure it would help get people to buy for the "anything can happen in the WWE" and also improve the amount of people buying replays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Clareman wrote:
    I remember reading something somewhere (sorry for being so percise) that the E were considering to always add something un-announced to PPVs, they figure it would help get people to buy for the "anything can happen in the WWE" and also improve the amount of people buying replays

Wel if all the matches are like the Ladder Match last night, i'm all for it! Match of the year candidate for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Clareman wrote:

Ya, I heard about that alright. But I figured they might have learned from the ECW PPV. If I knew that match was happening, then I would have ordered it!

Might find that match online somewhere anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

If I knew that match was happening, then I would have ordered it!

Thats my line of thinking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Thats my line of thinking too.

And I'm sure there are plenty more people thinking the same. If WWE want more buys then maybe they should advertise matches like that!

For anyone who hasn't seen, here are some pics of Mercury:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

There's a photo up on WWE.com now, after the stiches were put in. Looks nasty, his left eye's swollen shut and the wounds are still bleeding. He sounds in good spirits though, hopefully he doesn't get complications from a broken nose like Helms and Regal have in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

WWE should use footage of him getting hit with the ladder or him beside the ring bleeding as one of their next "please dont try this at home" ads....it would be a fairly powerful image im sure

• Advertisement

Observer update:

-From last night, the announced injury and hospitalization of MVP was obviously a work. The injury to Joey Mercury obviously was not. He had four fractures on the inside of his nose, needed 20 stitches and his left eye was swollen shut. The current speculation is he'll be out about two months. No other injuries were serious, although Brian Kendrick's rib was hurting after the botched shiranui off the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

You know this whole mercury thing could be a blessing in disguise for him. I mean, its a pretty high profile injury, its not gonna be forgotten about any time soon so I would imagine that when he makes his eventual return, he will get a slight push based on the injury. To be honest, I felt sqeamish myself when it happened. Reminded me of when of Eddie Guerrero got busted that time against Bradshaw. Sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You know this whole mercury thing could be a blessing in disguise for him. I mean, its a pretty high profile injury, its not gonna be forgotten about any time soon so I would imagine that when he makes his eventual return, he will get a slight push based on the injury.

I was thinking the same. He lost to Matt Hardy on Smackdown and I think his future was pretty bleak without MNM but with the publicity he's getting from the injury I think it's likely he will receive a bit of a push.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

i seen the clip of the ladder on raw last night . wow it looked extremely sore especially when they did it in slow mo i kind of felt it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

omfg, what a match

Video of it for those who want to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0JA4XBm9w8

Nasty nasty stuff. You'd be surprised that it doesn't happen more often in ladder matches though

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Yeah he got split open the hard way alright. Unreal match though. Loved the Regal/Taylor "fear of heights" psychology :D

Watched the ladder match today, and I can't say I was overly impressed with it. Sure, there were some big bumps, but these wrestlers are more than capable of having excellent matches without having to nearly kill themselves. There wasn't much of a story to the match either, apart from Regal and Taylor doing their bit. If the 4 teams had been given the length of time that MNM and the Hardy's were given at the ECW ppv, it could have been a brilliant match, and Joey would be ok now, as well as all the other guys who picked up bumps and bruises from the ladders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 deathray 4000

i agree the match wasnt all its cracked up to be but its served its purpose. its got people talking about wwe in a good light,people will have bought the replay now who otherwise wouldnt bother and if they announce a rematch and hype it up properly it will have people talking again. i noticed about 6 spots i would have expected were missing so id say therell be a rematch possibly including tables and chairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Ouch that was sore! Very careless stunt I have to say, those bouncing ladders were only going to be extremely risky for Mercury and Nitro to take but I wouldn't blame Jeff Hardy entirely. I hope Mercury is back soon.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    Watched the ladder match today, and I can't say I was overly impressed with it. Sure, there were some big bumps, but these wrestlers are more than capable of having excellent matches without having to nearly kill themselves. There wasn't much of a story to the match either, apart from Regal and Taylor doing their bit. If the 4 teams had been given the length of time that MNM and the Hardy's were given at the ECW ppv, it could have been a brilliant match, and Joey would be ok now, as well as all the other guys who picked up bumps and bruises from the ladders

I think the big thing is they did the match with absolutely no build up or advertisement.

A ladder match with those 4 teams would have sold buys and they took all that punishment for maybe the lowest WWE pay per view this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I think its a good idea having suprise matches but you kind of have to say that like on the ad for it put "Jeff Hardy V Nitro and more suprise matches" or something along those lines so that people know there is going to be more matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was an excellent match but they did shoot themselves in the foot by having the best match of the year- yes that's how good it was- as a surprise match.

Ah, it wasn't the best match of the year. The MNM vs Hardys match at the ECW ppv was way better, just to name one

Advertisement