Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Voltage Issue

Options
  • 18-12-2006 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Our bulbs keep blowing a lot more regularly than normal. Even halogen spotlights are blowing every now and then, they are supposed to last a bit longer. Our neighbour has the same problem and his electrician told them that the voltage coming into a house is higher than it should be (it's around 245V) and it's causing lights to live only a 1/3 of their expected lifetime.
    I've contacted ESB and they said they're sending someone around to check it. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Haven't had to change spot lights any more than normal but I will add that the electricity level being received to the house keeps fluctuating as the light in each of the rooms goes brighter and also dimmer during the course of the evening. I can only assumed this is the ESB main generators switching between the duty/stand-by generators. Possibly not the best thing to happen to the auld light bulbs?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

astrofluff wrote:
    Haven't had to change spot lights any more than normal but I will add that the electricity level being received to the house keeps fluctuating as the light in each of the rooms goes brighter and also dimmer during the course of the evening. I can only assumed this is the ESB main generators switching between the duty/stand-by generators.
    No, you wouldn't notice that. It's more than likely to be the transformer in the local substation operating it's 'tap changer' to increase or decrease the voltage to compensate for increased load at certain times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Shows you what I know about the ESB thingys

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manus

Happens all the time thought it was the electrician who put the spot lights
    in. Thinking of going back to candlelight full time being Xmas and all.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

we get this all the time as well. we must have used 12 bulbs this year alone.
    who or what section of the esb did you comtact ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjc ire

exact same problem. and the white plastic that the bulb fits into is going brown on all our lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I rang ESB customer srevices. They said its ESB Network that deals with it and put me on through to them. Got a message on the phone the other day saying they have logged the issue as urgent and will send someone as soon as they can but it may be after christmas. Will keep you posted if I hear anything from them. I'd say we'll give them till early January and see if they get back to me. If not you all should ring them and complain as well, it's a safety hazard if nothing else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 AshBy

MuffinsDa wrote:
    I rang ESB customer srevices. They said its ESB Network that deals with it and put me on through to them. Got a message on the phone the other day saying they have logged the issue as urgent and will send someone as soon as they can but it may be after christmas. Will keep you posted if I hear anything from them. I'd say we'll give them till early January and see if they get back to me. If not you all should ring them and complain as well, it's a safety hazard if nothing else!

Which part of Charlesland seems to be effected? Park, Grove, Wood...?

ESB Network are currently out at the development getting the last of the houses / duplexes in the Park connected up. It may make sense that they check it out while they're there. I'll mention it to Greg & my surveyor when I ring up on Jan 3rd re scheduling my Snag. Thanks for the heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjc ire

I am in the park and just as I speak one of the spotlights in the kitchen just went.
    Bought 3 weeks ago!

Was onto Greg today. He confirmed ESB is currently installing meters in the back row of houses, duplexes & apts in the Park until early next week. So if any of you are contacting ESB, Networks are already on site.

Mentioned the voltage issue. His sarcasm was palpable that he'd refer it to ESB Networks & WW Electrical pointing them to the boards! Well it will be on my snaggers checklist and there'll be slaps for Greg if its a fraction over 240v!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

just checking to see whether anyone got to the bottom of this. we are in the back row of the park and our bulbs are blowing left right and centre: hall, back outside light and now the cooker light and fan are gone too - all in the space of a week. anyone experiencing the same? oh, and plastic casings look 'burnt' too.

Neets,

In mid February, my surveyor checked the voltage in my duplex and it was in the normal range. Haven't experienced any light bulbs blowing in the 2 months since I closed on the place. I'm aware that some of the back houses closures were delayed because of some electricity problems, maybe that might shed some light on the problem. Sorry, no pun intended there!

Ashby

Advertisement