Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Zappa Appreciation and Recommendations...

• 18-12-2006 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

I intend to purchase another batch of Zappa albums over Christmas to add to my miserly collection of four (Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, Over-Nite Sensation and Hot Rats), and would like to get some more feedback.

Normally I just go out and buy, but with Zappa's ridiculously daunting discography (even more so than my idol Prince!) it's not that simple, especially when most shops have a limited and quite expensive selection - although there is always the internet I suppose.

I'm definitely gonna get Sheik Yerbouti after a recommendation and seeing the hilarious Bobby Brown (Going Down) song on youtube, and am on the lookout for We're Only In It For The Money (does anyone know if the original Sgt. Pepper cover is available on cd?).

I'm also about to get stuck into his autobiography, The Real Frank Zappa.

So anyway, I'd be interested to hear some general thoughts and critiques, not just appreciation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Would this be more suitable for the Music or Experimental forums here I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The autobiography is well worth the read, it's hilarious.

I loved Joes Garage and Apostrophe'.

The net's probably your best bet to get all of the albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Get yourself a copy of "Joes Garage".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

If you listen to Frank, you need to get "The best band you never heard in your life", its a live CD from 1988. one of the best live recorded albums ever.

That is Frank Zappa at his best. IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

you can buy Zappa's full catalogue of 65 cd's here for 950$. :eek:
    these guys have everything Zappa ever did afaik.
    just spotted the online shop is closed for technical reasons ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Interesting guy but I always find reading about his music better than actually listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Get Uncle Meat, one of my favourite Zappa albums. We're Only In It For The Money has the Sgt Pepper thing but in wee CD size, so don't expect too much from it. Luckily, my Ma has the original vinyl with the gatefold sleeve :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

John wrote:
    Interesting guy but I always find reading about his music better than actually listening to it.
    Do you like dancing to architecture?

Waka/Jawaka and the grand wazoo follow on nicely from Hot Rats in a jazzy vein, Chungas Revenge is probably safe to describe as the last Original Mothers style album and if you like overnite sensation get apostrophy; joes garage is fantastic, just avoid jazz from hell like the plague

Barry Miles bio from a couple of year ago is a really good read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You might also be interested in the Ed Palermo band, it's Zappa but played as smooth jazz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

MoominPapa wrote:
    Do you like dancing to architecture?

Stategies against architecture.

What I mean is, when I read about Zappa's editing techniques or working with orchestras I think it sounds like it will sound interesting but most of the time I'm left cold by the actual music. It's a common problem with experimental artists, even with ones I adore like John Cage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ty for all the reccomendations so far everyone and keep 'em coming! I had a look in HMV and Tower yesterday and they're all stupidly overpriced so I'll have a look online. Btw, does anyone else see the Borat resemblance? :)

zappa.jpg

borat-430.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Bongo Fury, Over-nite Sensation, and Roxy & elsewhere are my favorites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I'm a fan of the Vai-era stuff so I definitely recommend Them Or Us and The Man From Utopia. And One Size Fits All is fantastic. But you should consider getting The Grand Wazoo or Waka/Jawaka, as recommended by MoominPapa. Them's some good listenin'.

Advertisement