Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullet For my Valentine idiot

• 18-12-2006 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine and Avenged Sevenfold. Its fine when uninformed kids think they're great but the guy from BFMV clamied that the three bands are the Metallica, Iron Maiden and GNR (respectivally) of today.
    Rip off/influenced - yes, the equivalent - no. This guy needs a serious wake up call if he thinks his band could ever achieve even close to those bands. I'm talking more about Metallica & Maiden here, don't care much for GNR. If BFMV are still around in 10 years time I'll eat my hat. The bands of today that will last are obvious to any real metal fan. Nevermore, Opeth, Arisis etc. Not this garbage.

This of couse is my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If comparisons were made, I'd say bands like Bullet For My Valentine would be today's equivelant of the Hair Metal of the 80's, like Poison.

Think about it, Metallica were slugging it out with all the other bay area Thrash bands like Exodus, Testament and suchlike. They weren't all that big at the time, whereas bands like Poison were. Metallica built up their reputation over time.

I would agree that it's the likes of Nevermore and Opeth that'll be remembered in years to come, whereas a lot of the Emo bands will be forgotten, like Cinderella or Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I agree with the Poison comparison, but it was the guy from BFMV himself that made those comparisons, thats what gets me. The majority of those crappy nu-metal bands of the late 90's/early 00's are already forgotten, and good riddance. These guys will follow the same path. Real metal has made a comeback in the last number of years and the scene is much better for it.

It seems that BFMV etc take the easiest most MTV-friendly path when it comes to their music/image/videos. I'm not saying every band has to have 300bpm blast-beats or vomit vocals, but songs by bands like AV7x aren't as melodic as they are competely shameless and chart-orientated. I'm all for melody and good hooks etc in songs but it's not even that. It's just sugar-y nonsense with triple rectified guitars on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest, I would be disappointed in any lead singer of a metal band who did not think his band was the best band on the planet.

What the point if you have no faith in yourself?

That said, do I agree with the chap, hell no. Which is pretty much why the only time I listen to BFMV is when I'm down the gym. It might not be the best music, but it is pretty decent to workout to.

Better than Girls Aloud anyway, thank you Westwood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Den_M wrote:
    the guy from BFMV clamied that the three bands are the Metallica, Iron Maiden and GNR (respectivally) of today.

First of all, why do you know that he said this? Whatever publication/show you read/saw this in is clearly worthless, and you probably shouldn't pay any attention to it.

Second of all, why do you care what some mainstream emo jackass thinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

neGev wrote:
    First of all, why do you know that he said this? Whatever publication/show you read/saw this in is clearly worthless, and you probably shouldn't pay any attention to it.

From Revolver magazine via Blabbermouth.net. The Blabbermouth site is full of dickheads but it's a good source for metal news etc on good bands (as well as crap ones obviously).
    neGev wrote:
    Second of all, why do you care what some mainstream emo jackass thinks?

Normally I ignore plebs like this but that comment was too much.

• Advertisement

Den_M wrote:
    The Blabbermouth site is full of dickheads
    You're not wrong there, it's a veritable haven for morons who think they like metal.
    Normally I ignore plebs like this but that comment was too much.
    Just ignore them, safe in the knowledge that you're right ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Meh, ignore the idiotic comments, every band comes out with some priceless ones during their careers. :)

The former two bands have a few decent tunes, metalcore they may be and long lasting they're not but I like'em. As for A7X well City Of Evil remains one of my fave albums of the last couple of years (there have been many however) but out of all three I can probably see them lasting the longest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

I would agree that it's the likes of Nevermore and Opeth that'll be remembered in years to come, whereas a lot of the Emo bands will be forgotten, like Cinderella or Europe.

hey hey hey now, Cinderella, although excellent, may be forgotten but Europe live on forever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Tbh, as much as people may hate to admit it to closest things to metallica nowadays would be somthing like machine head (Consistantly good band.....no, A few class albums yes) i mean look at through ashes of empires one of the best mainstream metal albums for AGES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

time will weed out the s**t
    in the meantime why worry about stupid comments?

sometimes (alot of the time) , crappy bands do well for themselves, its a known fact :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

If comparisons were made, I'd say bands like Bullet For My Valentine would be today's equivelant of the Hair Metal of the 80's, like Poison.

I agree, hence why i like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Are BFMV the faintly ludicrous Welsh band who all look like the guitarist from sperm.com (Rats' band from the TV programme Paths to Freedom) - i.e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Haha, are you saying you think BFMV are an emo band?

In general; better not to talk about things you don't understand - if anyone thinks BFMV are an emo band, then emo* is clearly one of those things that person shouldn't talk about.

*The musical genre. Not the trendy, new-fangled synonym for 'shite' that the kids have adopted :rolleyes:

Anyways, I don't think this band are very good. I personally could give a legendary toss whether they've paid their dues by 'slugging it out' or not... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Haha, are you saying you think BFMV are an emo band?

Not really, if we want to get specific, I'd say them and the likes of Avenged Sevenfold would be more Metalcore, but in this instance I'm just using the word Emo as a catch-all for the trendy shyte.

Let's not get caught up in semantics here, KH has the right idea. BFMV are emo, as is pretty much all MTV-friendly metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

To paraphrase Maynard Keenan, there should be a seperate chart/arena for cleverly marketed products, so that bands like Avenged Sevenfold and BFMV can enjoy having their success rated alongside things like Chicken McNuggets rather than actual bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

You think it cant get worse.....:mad:
    http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2007/main-bands/billing-2007/bulletfmv07/
    In the blurb "one of the most intense acts to come out of Wales since mega-groups Funeral for a Friend and Lostprophets"
    Ban Welsh bands before they become egotistical emo sh!teness!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

everyday i wake up and thank jesus that i dont like these bands.
    Only Tr000000000000000 black metal for me. :)

neGev wrote:
    BFMV are emo, as is pretty much all MTV-friendly metal.
    wow. Just wow. For shame Keith. :(

Seriously folks, you can't hate a band becuase they're over played or even played on mainstream radio and TV. I mean take Avenged Sevenfold for example, hands up who has listened to City Of Evil properly? I mean really sat down and listened? My guess would be not so many. While the likes of MCR and those may be a step below there are some artists that do get airplay on MTV yet are good. I mean Lamb Of God and Killswitch Engage have recently found great sucess both in the charts and on TV/radio? Are they emos? Or sellouts? Or whatever "in" phrase is in?

And since when did metal become only the extreme stuff that is bandied around these parts? I mean the last few songs on my playlist were SYL - Wrong Side, Unearth - Giles, BFMV - Four Words, Hatebreed - Defeatist and Avenged Sevenfold - Beast And The Harlot does that mean I don't like "metal" as some people like to describe it as? Hell no! Seriously people who proclaim otherwise seem to be no better than those odd people who march around outside the Central Bank with their placards.

That said I see the same behaviour creeping in with some of my mates, a few months ago they, like me enjoyed Trivium. They had the albums, went to the gigs, thoroughly enjoyed them and all was well then suddenly The Crusade leadup started and suddenly they were "gay" (due to excess cheese in places it seemed) and "****". The former was particuarly funny given that some of them listen to Dragonforce and Sonata Arctica. I mean if thats not cheese (although cheese with a side of awesome) I don't know what it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

I know where you're goming from gizmo, however...

For a lot of people, myself included, it's the qualities of the bands in question that get them onto MTV in the first place that are the bone of contention. In other words, we're hating on the cause, not the effect. BFMV and Avenged Sevenfold don't earn heavy rotation based on an undeniable and uncompromising musical integrity, they earn it because they consciously write certain types of songs, wear a certain type of clothing, plaster themselves in a certain type of tattoo and pose for certain types of photos that end up on teenage girls' walls. They're playing a game, and their music is just one of many tools at their disposal.

Oh, and the reason your friends started to hate Trivium was because they decided to discard any figment of individuality they ever had and unashamedly released an album of what sounded like over-produced Metallica b-sides, while using every interview as an opportunity to remind everyone that they're "THE NEXT METALLICA". Barf. Have you ever seen "Being John Malkovich"? It's something along those lines - Trivium are the new host bodies for Hetfield and co.
    *The musical genre. Not the trendy, new-fangled synonym for '****e' that the kids have adopted :rolleyes:

That's what people mostly mean when they call a band "emo" though - the actual musical roots of the word are long buried under mountains of self-serving, pompous horse****. The only trait that the enormous multitude of bands now labelled "emo" by Joe Public The Hardcore Music Fan (who intends the word as an insult, not an objective description of anything) share is that people with sideswept fringes, studded belts and lip piercings listen to them and wear their branded t-shirts/hoodies for "street cred". In short: as far as most people are concerned, the demographic is defining the genre, not the music. I'm not saying these people are right, but they seem to be in the majority, so bearing this in mind will save you a lot of circular arguments on message forums where what you are actually arguing is semantics and not music.

• Advertisement

I know where you're goming from gizmo, however...
    For a lot of people, myself included, it's the qualities of the bands in question that get them onto MTV in the first place that are the bone of contention. In other words, we're hating on the cause, not the effect. BFMV and Avenged Sevenfold don't earn heavy rotation based on an undeniable and uncompromising musical integrity, they earn it because they consciously write certain types of songs, wear a certain type of clothing, plaster themselves in a certain type of tattoo and pose for certain types of photos that end up on teenage girls' walls. They're playing a game, and their music is just one of many tools at their disposal.
    Perhaps, but what if say, Guns N' Roses were only formed nowadays. I mean, to a certain extent you've got a similar look between them and Avenged coupled with their propensity to be photographed in those "we're just hanging around with our guitars but still looking cool" poses, they have a similar variety of songs in terms of uptempo singalongs/hum along tracks/hold your lighter in the air tunes and both seem to have found success with mainstream radio/TV after a few singles. On the other hand, no one would dare slag GnR (bar Axel) for a similar crime. :o
    Oh, and the reason your friends started to hate Trivium was because they decided to discard any figment of individuality they ever had and unashamedly released an album of what sounded like over-produced Metallica b-sides, while using every interview as an opportunity to remind everyone that they're "THE NEXT METALLICA". Barf. Have you ever seen "Being John Malkovich"? It's something along those lines - Trivium are the new host bodies for Hetfield and co.
    Regarding the former, well thats what I would have said but the hate started BEFORE The Crusade was released. The later however, with their interviews, well yes, they are cringe worthy but hardly enough to completely disown the band and stop listening to even their earlier music to which they had previously declared they loved.
    In short: as far as most people are concerned, the demographic is defining the genre, not the music. I'm not saying these people are right, but they seem to be in the majority, so bearing this in mind will save you a lot of circular arguments on message forums where what you are actually arguing is semantics and not music.
    Indeed and when I see this attitude in public I couldn't care less but its when I see it around these parts, where usually people are more enlightened when it comes to music, it bugs me. :)

Advertisement