Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Claiming off the council for a replacement alloy!

Options
  • 18-12-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I hit a pot hole on Friday night and now it looks as though I will need a new alloy :(

Has anyone successfully claimed the cost of a replacement wheel off the council? I have been quoted £93 for a replacement alloy and I don't particularly want to have to fork out for it.

The pot hole in question was filled in first thing on Saturday morning before I got a chance to take a picture of it.

I was talking to the guy who filled it in and he said it was a bad one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I remember reading one of Irelands top car magazines who claimed of Meath Co Co, for a pot hole on the N2 on the way into Dublin.

I hit a bad one last week as well and it has been filled in. Theres now a bump the side of a speed bump.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

atlantean wrote:
    I hit a pot hole on Friday night and now it looks as though I will need a new alloy :(

Has anyone successfully claimed the cost of a replacement wheel off the council? I have been quoted £93 for a replacement alloy and I don't particularly want to have to fork out for it..!
    I got the price of a tyre from the council before. I had photo's of the hole the damaged tyre (it was bulged) and also submitted a copy of the receipt €50. Took a month and a few e-mails following it up. I was polite but firm and got my money.

atlantean wrote:
    The pot hole in question was filled in first thing on Saturday morning before I got a chance to take a picture of it.

I was talking to the guy who filled it in and he said it was a bad one!
    TBH, without the photo's of the hole I'd say you may forget it, they can't send an engineer out to survey the hole to see if it could have done the alleged damage (they told me they sent an eng out and this is what the delay was). Try anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Sparks400 wrote:
    TBH, without the photo's of the hole I'd say you may forget it.
    This is my fear! However I reckon I won't be the only one on to them about this pot hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the council where filling it in that means that they knew it was bad and have fixed it. I'd chance my arm send it pictures of the repaired hole and the damage to your wheel.

I thought that after the first person reported a pothole all the others where covered till it was filled in. May take a while:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Hard to blame the council tbh. At this time of the year it is a running battle to keep the road pot-hole free.

It isn't their fault that they don't get enough funding to do a proper job! (Especially in Cork, where the Co. Co. don't get nearly enough for the road network they must maintain).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I damaged the front plastic bit below the bumper on a corrado I had 8 years ago hitting it off a lump of tarmac that had been an attempt to fill in a hole outside my house by a dublin gas contractor.
    called them up they sent out a claim form - no problem.

give the councils legal department a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Big Dec

Had a friend who hit a pothole & damaged two alloy wheels. Got them repaired & called Kildare County Council. The lady he spoke with was very nice until she asked him had he reported it to the Gardai. When he said he hadn't, she said she couldn't help him.

Call the Gardai, report the pothole & get the name of the Garda you spoke with. That seems to be the procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

heres what you should of done.left the car on the road where the pot hole was and say your not moving it until they fix the wheel ;).that is a joke by the way.id say without pictures you wont have much of a case

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

maidhc wrote:
    Hard to blame the council tbh. At this time of the year it is a running battle to keep the road pot-hole free.
    I agree! However this pot hole was caused but road works being carried out by S.M. Morris on behalf of the council. The road surface was to be fully reinstated but instead it has been left in a bad way for over 2 months! To make matters worse some of the guys working for S.M.Morris wanted to fill some of the pot holes on Friday as they looked bad but they were told not to!
    Big Dec wrote:
    Call the Gardai, report the pothole & get the name of the Garda you spoke with. That seems to be the procedure.
    I have not heard about this! :confused:

Well I rang the council yesterday - "Weren't you on earlier about this?" was the first reply I got when I introduced myself! "No, this is my first time" "Oh! There was another Peter on earlier" she replied!

Told her the details and I was told to submit all the details, including bills and costs etc. in writing to the head of finance. She then took my details. All seemed a bit easy TBH!

My main problem that I can see is that I hit the pot hole at 7 PM on Friday and the council filled it in first thing on Saturday morning before I got a chance to get a photo of it. However I know the guys who filled it in and the reason they did it was that they saw it was so dangerous. I was talking to him today and he told me to go to the council about it.

I also got a quote for a replacement rim - £93 delivered! I might get this as I am not convinced the repair will work and it could be handy to have a spare anyway.

Advertisement