Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 Hmr

Options
  • 18-12-2006 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Is the .17 HMR a popular round in Ireland ?
    was worried that if I went that route over a standard .22LR
    that the rounds may be difficult to buy.

For my very first buy I was thinking of getting a CZ 452 chambered
    for .17 for Paper Target shooting.

I wanted somthing that I could use as far as 200 yards.
    I was hoping to spend less that 700 Euro for both rifle and scope.
    Also dunno yet how much I would spend on Ammo per 50 rnds.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Whatever about the ammo being easy to get bullets, there's not that many target shooting matches that use the .17. The .22lr would be a better bet for that sort of thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Its a very popular round lots of people have them.

As regards sparks he's right but it depends what you mean by target shooting whether you want to get into it competitively or just head to the range to shoot targets to enter competitions and the likes the .22lr is the way to go but for your own shooting at a range id go for a .17hmr its also an excellent hunting round

.22lr box of 50 anywhere from €3 to €10 the latter being match ammo
    .17hmr box of 50 think they start at €10 and up to €15 maybe

What the 17 has over the 22 is range. The 22 is good to maybe 100 yards and the 17 to 200. The other thing is tradjectory the 17 zeroed at 100 will be within .4 of an inch from 25 to 125 while the 22 is up and down all over the shop. This doesnt really matter though for target shooting as you'll have set distances but for hunting it makes life alot easier.

As regards price for the whole set up a new CZ 452 will cost you around €420 and that leaves you €280 for the scope which will buy you a pretty decent set up. Other things to consider are a bipod €100 sling €20 extra mags €25 you can keep adding on to it but €700 would be loads.

The one thing with a CZ is the trigger since your new to shooting you probably wont notice but out of the box its a bit heavy and alot of creep. To fix this you can do 3 things

1- Brooks kit this is a little kit for $15 which will allow you to set your trigger just about anyway you want and is fantastic for the money. Very easy to put in.

2-Adjustable Sear costs around €80 i think may be a bit less basically does the same thing as the brooks kit just that bit more adjustable. Easy enough to put in a bit of messin getting the old sear out with the ball and spring

3-Timmney trigger whole new trigger system they're very good but ar costly again around the €80 and very adjustable again not the hardest thing in the world to install but you'll have to inlett the stock (take a bit out to make room)

That all might put you off but really its fine out of the box im just letting you know whats out there one way around it is to buy a CZ 453 which has a set trigger which is excellent for shooting targets and is very adjustable with out any need to modify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cheers guys,

I had not planned on entering any shooting matches until Sparks mentioned
    it and I actually thought about it. It would be fun.

The shooting buddy who provides me with transport to the range
    has a CZ 452 .22 so at the moment so he lets me use his while at the range.
    He just got the trigger kit and its a huge difference compared to the
    club rifles.

I hired a club rifle (CZ) Sunday fireing .22 at a 50m range just to give me
    the feel for things and for an introduction to the range procedures
    Could not get consistant groups as the scopes were
    a little worse for wear and needed a lot of adjustment.
    (all the adjustment in the world would not get the cross hair to be
    perfectly focused while on target either the target blurred a little or
    the cross hair blurred a little)
    Grand for a bit of fun but you learn quickely that you need your own.

Kinda leening towards the .17 so far. read lots of good stuff on
    it but also read a 5mph wind at 200m or yards will blow the round off by
    about 10 inchs. Considering Irelands weather its a bit off-putting.
    But if it gets tighter groups at 100m or yards all the better.

Since I would not be able to go shooting every weekend It would not
    bother me paying a tenner for 50 rounds. Its not much considering the
    enjoyment you get out of it.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jimbon

You can get a box of 525 .22 rounds for around €25.
    Jeffers sports in Bandon. Which club do you go to? I just left the Station a few minutes ago with my application. Should have my CZ 452 Style in the next 4-6 weeks.
    Jeffers had the Basic CZ 452 for €370. The Style (Black Synthetic stock with stainless steel barrel) was €445. I heard the Synthetic was the best option as it is easier to care for than wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

he robbed you
    never ever go to jeffers again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Bullets, u have a pm!

I just started going to Midlands Rifle club. Amazing place.
    I really enjoyed myself.
    Was looking at the guys fireing at 600m and was wow'd
    Would love to do that but the cost of owning a rifle
    like that would be too much. The lads at the range mentioned
    €3500 for a rifle and then I read some of the barrells burn out after
    bout 1000 rounds. EXPENSIVE running costs.

Still dont know if poeple are using yards or meters nowadays.
    I know 100m wont satisfy me Long term but for now it will be great.
    thats why I was looking for something that would have a range of 200m
    maybe extend the satisfaction period if that makes sense.

I was told the American style CZ was the best but its got a shorter barrell
    than the other versions and I dont know if you can get a synthetic stock
    for the American style one.

Ideally down the road I would like to float the barrell so dunno if a
    wooden stock would be easier to do this or if the Synthetic can be
    floated without ruining the appearence of the rifle.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jimbon

Hi Maglite
    I got your PM saying that i could get the rifle for €400 in Galway but i figured it is better to pay the €445 than have to go all the way to Galway or have to arrange delivery. Plus, Mervyn Jeffers was very helpfull with me getting my first gun license. I appreciate all advice though.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

o by far but you have to wonder why all the 3 mafor stores ion cork have a price of €445........

he robbed me for the safe

and tried on the gun, scope and mounts...

he will ot get the opertunity on ammo

.22wmr is also a fantastic round just so happen to have one for sale as well ;)

Id say to .17hmr would be the round for you as regards seriously getting into target shooting the rifles are different and cost alot but then for normal club matchs a CZ is fine.

For longer range shooting you can buy guns for 1500 that will do the job fine out to that distance it all depends in what your want really tight groups or fun target shooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

just gottin rid of my .17hmr and not for the wrong reasons its a great bunny basher out past the 100yrd mark but it will take a bit of gettin used to when you get out past it,wind is a big factor especially on just a breezy day.Put a milldot scope on it if you can afford it it really helps when it comes to drop and wind correction, best way is to put a series of targets out to your max range,zero in on your desired range and then when you are going out further you can then memorize how many dots high is required the same applies to the wind drift.best bullets ive used are the remingtons ballistis tips "buy in bulk to whatever suits your gun"pm me if you need any more help

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Alot of good info there on bullet drop and wind deflection

For myself i'll be shooting rabbits at anywhere from 30 to 90 yards with the occasional long shot so with 100yard zero it'll be with +/- 0.4 of an inch the whole way through so all you do is aim and shoot. for the long shot well theres only an inch drop at 125 and 2.5 at 150 and thats really as far as ill be taking rabbits with it.

Wind only starts getting bad after 100yards so when its windy just limits the range a bit or allow an inch or three and take a body shot.

Thanks,

I want if I can get a scope with upto 20x mag.
    I have tried 16x but would prefer a tiny little bit more.
    Milldot would be nice as I definatly want to try 200m range
    (I cant afford to go full bore at the moment but would love to a few years down the line)

When it comes to my buy I first had a budget of about 700 but I
    could stretch it to 1000 Euro. I want to get everything new.
    Scope I am willing to pay about 250 Euro.

The CZ and the Finnfire seem to be two options (although I dont see the finfire chambered for .17HMR) The Sako Quad I have read about as I would like the option of both .22LR and .17HMR but I dont like the idea of a barrell that can come off at the twist of a hex key something very unsafe about that! But on the plus side the barrel is floated.
    Have not done any reading yet about the Ruger or Steyr they dont
    appear to be mentioned on the Irish Boards as much as the others.

Happy Christmas all,
    ~B

Wouldn't worry about the SAKO they're excellent guns and heard lots of good things about them. Picked one up in urlingford and they're very light might be a thing to watch a bit of weight is nice but that might change if you got the wood stocked version.

If your looking for the higher classes theres anshutz and cooper(prob have to import) and a couple of others where your getting into guns well over the 1000mark

Really depends on your budget

As for a scope mill-dot is useful for hunting where you can use it to compensate bullet drop very quickly id recomend getting something with target turrets for range shooting which would mean you could go to the 100yard range dial it and point and shoot then move over to the 200 dial and shoot no re-zeroing just a coupla clicks

Advertisement