Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nervous about going back to college..

• 18-12-2006 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok decided to go unreg for this one.
    Since my gf and i broke up last september i knida got a new lease on life.
    Even though i smoked more and drank more (not heavily)just more i just relased that I hated my job i always did and decided to pack it in,a friend of mine suggested we head to australia in feb and i jumped at the chance(even if it was sporadic).Now that its a few months later i was thinking about what i could do when i got back.A couple of my friends are back studying and that got me thinking.

I was going to to a few courses while i was still working but now i have
    decided to go to college(never been there before!)full time.The light is now shining bright and i DO know what to expect.The course i want to do involves
    the likes of mathematics,engineering drawing and science,i've looked up some of the subjects on the net and they mean double dutch to me.I know they probably start from the beginning in college but i have a fear that i wont be able to hack it.

I was never that bad at school i was just one of those kids who didnt care.This will be a big change for me or at least from what im used to.
    The lecturer i was talking to said it involves 1/3 to a half of practical work which i would be more used to.I have a drive to do this i mean the next 3 years of my life is nothing compared to the next 30.I just turned 27 and want to start this next year and my trip to oz is going to be cut short because they have to interveiw me in april/may.I just have a 'fear of failure'.I also heard that my ex is going over seas to finish her last year of studies which kinda got me down and out recently.

I'm just hoping this trip to oz(and 3 weeks in bangkok!)will get my head straight hopefully ill cut down on the cigs and come back ready for this.
    im starting to read books again,doing quizzes and puzzles online just to get my head rolling.

I'm also thinking about moving in with a friend of mine when i get back who's working full time,do you think thats such a good idea?

Is there anyone in the same or was in the same situation as me?
    Did you have a fear of failure? how did you get over it?
    Maybe im just reading into things too much.
    Thanks for your suggestions/comments in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

A lot of colleges (all maybe?) have Mature Student Societies in which there are (I'd imagine) a lot of people who started off in your position so it might be worth trying to get in touch with them. Here is TCD's and here's UCD's.

Maybe also try to get in touch with someone who has done the course, or is in the course at the moment, and get a detailed description of what you are up against. What is the course if you don't mind me asking? There might be a few people around here who have done it.

[edit:]lol, those website's look a little too similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I got back to college 2 years ago and I must say it was the best thing I ever did.
    I'm in a different boat than you, in that I already have and undergraduate degree from years back and I'm doing arts, so I can't comment on the mathematical or practical part you have to do. However I'm doing the college part-time at night, so I have to schedule the lectures and studying around an already full working day. English is also not my native language, so I had to fight with this as well. I had some fears about this beforehand, but it worked out in the end and now I'm having problems talking about my subjects in my native language.
    If you really want to do the course and are willing to put the work in (and it probably will mean long hours, especially if you are not used to studying anymore, but it'll get better over time) then I would say go for it. I have met some students in college, mature ones, but also younger ones and when you mmet them for the first time, you'd probably think no chance that they get through college, but they do, so I would say everyone can do it.

You might want to also have a look here if you have some more detailed questions about going back to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Yeah op i'm in a similar situation, i'm planning on going to college next year too, i've always had motivation issues and so far i can't even make my mind up on what to apply for... I change my mind every few weeks, i'm afraid i'll get accepted to a course but after a couple of months realise i'm not that interested and then just drop out. That's my main fear relating to college.

But i plan to make the most of it, i've worked full time since school so this will be my chance to get a degree and have a career, but i'm also looking at it as a chance to have the best years of my life, college years!!! Here's hoping!!

Feel free to pm me if ya wanna chat further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'The course is 'automated and control technology'
    the technical term for electrical instrumentation
    it involves mathemathics 1 in the 1st year and maths2 in the 2nd etc
    engineering drawing
    engineering science

C.A.D and manufacturing technology and probably the practical work i could manage(with a bit of hard work ofc)'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 klubhead

The course is 'Automated and control technology'
    A technical name for Electrical Instrumentation.

Mathematics 1 for year 1 and maths 2 for year 2 etc.
    Engineering Drawing
    Engineering Science

Things like Electronrics and industrial studies and manufacturing technology i can get over(with a bit of hard work ofc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

Im currently in year two of a full time Computer Science degree.

28 years old, was plastering on a building site for 2.5 years before I went to college for the first time.

Just get stuck in. I hadnt seen an exam since my leaving cert, and as for maths - computer science has plenty of it.

Thing is the support system in the colleges for mature students is excellent. The support from lecturers is excellent too.

I wouldnt be top of the class or anything but I've managed to get by. You'll love it and it'll feel like second nature before you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I was in a similar situation to yourself, OP.

I never applied myself in school and just floated about for a few years after it ended. Eventually, after I tired of the floating, I decided that I would go to college as a mature student.

I had exactly the same fears as yourself. As I'm not great with maths, I was terrified of the engineering and physics end of things - not to mention the, eh, mathematics module. At first, reading through the course syllabus, it appeared like an insurmountable task - all those shagging figures. But much to my surprise, I passed everything.

The lecturers are there to help you. Don't forget that. I found the vast majority of them very willing to take 5 or 10 minutes to explain something to me after class. Remember: if you are having trouble with something, someone else will be as well, so ask. If they are busy, then get their room number and pay them a visit.

The fact that you are a mature student will be of great benifit to you. I believe that the 'mature' status had a great deal to do with a lecturers willingness to help me. When you notice that they are dealing with a fair few 18 year-old gob****es, delighting in throwing paper aeroplanes around, making fart noises or grunting like a pig etc. :rolleyes: you'll appreciate why this is so. I did agricultural science, btw. Dirty boggers:D

Don't worry, there are various tutorials to aid students with things they find difficult. You can be sure that there will be MANY people in the same boat as yourself.

The first few weeks/ months may seem like a whirlwind of activity, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Whereas the intellectual challenges may not be as difficult in the early years (you may only appreciate this with hindsight), it certainly is taxing in other ways which are not apparent in later years. However, you'll soon get the hang of things.

For me, the 'fear' of college never fully went away. I was always concerned that I would drop the ball come exam or project time. I'm glad to say that that never happened. Keep you head down, OP; you'll do just fine!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

i just started back at college in september, im 24, had done a few years but dropped out, doing astrophysics now, and im seriously behind the rest of the class, probably cos i knew it was going to be hard, but never opened a book before the start of term, (actually wasnt untill a good few weeks in that i actually bought any books)
    id say go for it, give it a shot, but definatly study a bit of the leaving cert maths before you start, even if its going to be totally different maths you end up studying in college, itll get your brain into some sort of rhythm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, ya gotta do it! I went back at 23 - I know that's considerably younger than you are now, but I stayed until this year - I'm 28 (worked for the year between 26 and 27 all right while I was figuring out what postgrad to do). It's fantastic. Loved every bit of it and really missing it now. Yes, being that bit older makes it so much better - you're your own person and you appreciate the learning end of it far more. You don't feel the social pressures that you might at 17 or 18 either. And you're still young enough not to feel like the odd-one-out oldie in the class - although the 17-year-olds will probably think of you as just that!;) But seriously, there were lots of people in their 50s in my class. As for the financial end - there are supports like grants out there, and you might be able to fit in a bit of part-time work. Maybe something that's along the lines of what you're studying? And you have four months to work full-time over the summer. It's so worth it - I promise. Also, go to the education forum here. There's a mature students sub-forum. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There is generally plenty of financial help available. Other than my grant, I was able to avail of the UCD "student hardship fund". It got me through some tough times.

It's worth looking into the financial aids now. For instance, I know there is/ was a back to education scheme, which meant you got the dole for the remainder of your time there. Ironically, you had to be unemployed for 6 months - not paying your taxes! - to avail of this. I wouldn't have bothered my arse working before college if I knew this :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 klubhead

I looked into what i can avail of:
    Grants
    Rent allowence
    Educational Benifit
    Plus i have my ssia coming in april.

Only this morning i talked to a person who just completed this course,
    he gave me a small insight of what to expect(even though he has a masters in eletronic engineering)

I'm kinda excited and nervous at the same time.I just have no idea what to expect.
    This is an entirly different ball game for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kindle

Hi

Yup electronics does have loads of maths involved but the DIT (so presumably the rest of the colleges) have maths tutorials, think its called mathsclinic or somethin, given by postgraduates etc to help people who find maths daunting. One of the advantages of being as mature student is that the lecturers are more likely to treat you like an adult... they are also there to help you (something i only realised my second time in college lol)so make sure you avail of it.. if its anything like the course that i did there will be tutorials etc in nearly all subjects so youll be grand.

All the best with it anyways :D

k

Advertisement