Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dremel 400 in Woodies €131

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Thats a nice deal.

I found good accessories in both Maplin and B&Q. B&Q have the Dremel branded gear but also a non-branded set of accessories. Maplin have various stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

why do the modding community love teh dremmel so much? :o

A jigsaw is much better for most jobs and it doesnt take several hundred blades and half an hour to cut a whole :p

You want to try cutting a 1" square hole on the inside of a Lian Li with a jigsaw? There are some jobs that a Dremel does and some that it don't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

oh hopeful put back ur old pic :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh dremel is good for some light duty stuff, but i used a jigsaw to cut a pc case in half before, now way i would have dont that with a dremel, also if you want a round hole cut use a hole saw in a drill instead of a dremel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

gline wrote:
    also if you want a round hole cut use a hole saw in a drill instead of a dremel

12cm hole saws are hard to come by, even the 8cm variety are rare and when you do find them they are expensive. I bought an 8cm hole saw and used it a total of once. If you've got a steady hand and the right dremel cutting disks for the material you're cutting then a dremel can be just as good.

Oh and conzy, if you have to ask why a modder loves a dremel then you obviously don't have one. I couldn't count the amount of times i've been in a situation where I would of been lost without my dremel, not just modding the computer. The one thing i'm missing is the flexishaft (the B&Q "performance pro" one is a pos) Might check woodies and see if they are selling it seperately for cheap.

Oh and syxpak, even though the B&Q "performance pro" tool is useless, the bits and accesories for it are pretty decent (except the flexishaft :mad:) I got a kit of bits/disks/pads from B&Q for €10, it would of cost me well over €100 to buy all of them from Dremel. All the bits are still working now, and the disks cut just as good as the dremel branded ones, I compared them with the disks I got free with my dremel. I cut 2 lines through some aluminium to see which disk would run out first. They where both pretty even.

TBH I don't have a Dremel :o

I do have this set though that I bought via Adverts

minicraftnr1.jpg

Probably doesn't have the power of a Dremel but is much smaller and lighter as it has an external PSU. Also has a car adapter for those times when you are broken down in the middle of nowhere and just have to get that mod finished :rolleyes: The mini-jigsaw is great for smaller stuff although the blades are hard to get and are no good with anything thicker than 2mm.

Anyone thought of a new hobby...Dremel mods! A plexi window to show the innards and maybe an LED or two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

personally, I haven't been doing a lot with my dremel as I wouldn't dare to go near my P180 with it. Been using it with some polishing paste and a felt bit to give a finish to my lapping jobs. I've also been doing a bit of etching with the assortment of etching bits that come in the B&Q pack.

Here's an old pic of something I achieved with my dremel: The window, plexiglass, etch, LED mount holes, bolt holes and 8cm fan hole where all achieved using a dremel 395 and some B&Q bits.

4993347a478784989b138165113l.jpg4993347a434557265b490178900l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

I got the Power Craft 160watt combi tool that was in aldi last week.Was only 24.99 and has stand , flexishaft and 45 accessories.They even had a 101 piece accessory kit for 5.99.Couldnt resist it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The Dremel400 stood out for me as it has a wider RPM range, particularly in the low-end: 5,000-35,000
    This makes it more capable when it comes to engraving/etching plastics.

Pity I missed the Aldi tool, would've picked one up for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Guys, for the big jobs forget a jigsaw....an angle grinder is the only way to fly.....ive got 2 a 4" and a 9", to cut a case in half would take me about 3 mins...:D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

pffffff a grinder? :rolleyes:

Plasma cutters FTW!

2003-11-01_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

conzymaher wrote:
    pffffff a grinder? :rolleyes:

Plasma cutters FTW!

Hmmm, you got a point there conzy:D

Have access to something very much like this.

I needs to review my CAD/CAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The 400 is cheaper in BnQ.. The Gf got me one for Xmass, she only paid €68 for it tho as it scanned as the 300 on the system.. :-)

If anyones looking for the Aldi one, the branch in ashbourne had a load left last night..

I received the Li-Ion cordless Dremel for Christmas. It's savage.
    Torque isn't a factor with dremels, the lack of an umbilical cord give you a heck of alot of freedom, and the battery holds sufficient charge for a few jobs at a time.
    I'm considering investing in a flexshaft and maybe a second battery once I've used this a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

what ya use it for work or just for the odd mod?

• Advertisement

First thing I tried it out on was my stacker, needed to trim a lip of metal below the top PSU bay to allow the MB tray to be rotated 180* for WTX config.
    It got the job done.

Last night, in combination with my hot-glue-gun, I put an 80mm papst fan in my xbox.

I have some more things I'm going to be doing with it, they just don't come to mind.
    Several times duirng the year I've wanted to do something, but couldn't because I had no such tool to hand, hacksaws/jigsaws are only good for so much, useless for intricate cuts.
    Broken 3 cut-off wheels already, two of them whilst trying to pull the shaft out of the collet with the wheel still attached.

Hot-glue gun is great craic btw.

Advertisement