Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton demand Mourinho retraction

• 18-12-2006 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Jose Mourinho's unrivalled ability to fall out with opposition managers resurfaced yesterday in a row with David Moyes about whether Andrew Johnson had dived to try to win a penalty during Chelsea's 3-2 win at Everton. The two managers had a heated exchange on the touchline and the hostilities continued after a game that could have a significant impact on the title race.

Mourinho had been incensed by a first-half incident when Johnson hurtled into the penalty area and went down at full speed between the challenge of the Chelsea defender Khalid Boulahrouz and the goalkeeper Hilario. Furiously gesticulating that a yellow card should be shown, Mourinho had to be restrained by the fourth official, Russell Booth. Mourinho then suggested Johnson was a serial diver who was "dangerous" to opponents because of the way he "chased penalties".

Article continues
    His criticisms drew a withering response from Moyes, who seemed to suggest to Mourinho on the touchline that he should wear spectacles. Moyes insisted that Johnson had done nothing wrong and he accused Mourinho of double standards, pointing out that, in Didier Drogba, "he had a big, powerful, 15st striker who was quite partial to it [diving] himself."

Moyes also cited the incident when Reading's Stephen Hunt had collided with Petr Cech when Chelsea played at the Madejski Stadium. "There was a big complaint [from Chelsea] back then because a player had gone into their goalkeeper," he said. "Our player jumped over the goalkeeper, he fell down, got straight back up and didn't appeal. Now make your mind up. Is he supposed to jump in on the goalkeeper when, a few weeks ago, that was what people were complaining about? I don't think it was a penalty - but it certainly wasn't a dive."

It is not the first time Moyes has had to defend Johnson from diving allegations, but an unapologetic Mourinho insisted he had a right to be aggrieved.

"In Portugal, our culture is to call someone like that an 'intelligent' player," he said. "In your culture, you use other words and you are very critical. This is my third year in England and I have been influenced by my new culture. He is the kind of player who I would now call dangerous because you cannot trust him."

Mourinho's complaints were so forcibly made on the touchline it is possible the Football Association will look into his behaviour. A policeman felt it necessary to lecture the Chelsea assistant manager, Steve Clarke and the authorities are unlikely to be impressed with Mourinho's waving of an imaginary yellow card at a time when they are urging referees to book players who act in such a manner.
    Everton have urged Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho to retract comments suggesting Andrew Johnson dived to win a penalty in Chelsea's 3-2 win at Goodison Park yesterday.

The incident sparked a touchline spat in which Everton manager David Moyes suggested Mourinho should wear glasses if he thought Johnson's fall to the ground was intentional.

In his post-match interviews, Mourinho implied Johnson had dived to win a penalty although television replays suggested he was shoved in the back by Chelsea's powerful defender Khalid Boulahrouz. "In Portugal, our culture is to call someone like that an 'intelligent' player," Mourinho said. "He is the kind of player who I would now call dangerous because you cannot trust him."

His criticisms today provoked a stern response from Everton who issued a statement defending the 25-year-old striker. "To publicly question the integrity of a player of Andrew's professionalism and honesty is not only wholly unacceptable and quite possibly defamatory but also, in our opinion, highly damaging for both club and player," it read.

"We would urge the footballing authorities to look closely at Mr Mourinho's comments and then, perhaps, seek a formal explanation. Both Everton and Andrew Johnson have always believed in the virtues of fair play and we would ask Mr Mourinho to immediately retract his allegations."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1974721,00.html

A retraction from José Mourinho? Yeah right.

I'm no fan of Andy Johnson but yesterday took the biscuit. I said it at the time and at half-time, and then for José to come out at full time after having a chance to look at a replay he still manages to say Johnson dived? Unbelievable stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

A retraction from Mourinho? That'll be the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

just started another thread about this great game -- but as an Evertonian , i agree Johnson goes down too easily, particularly when he played for Palace :) .

You got to hand it to Chelsea though, they really have that Keane like desire to win , unlike say Arsenal . Mourinho can be annoying , but i admire this spirit he has instilled in his team , and at the end of the day football is about winning .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Everton are threatening to take legal action against José Mourinho after his outspoken criticism of Andrew Johnson. The Chelsea manager accused the Everton forward of diving and being untrustworthy after the visiting team’s 3-2 win at Goodison Park on Sunday, during which Johnson went to ground in the penalty area under pressure from Khalid Boulahrouz.

Everton are furious at what they see as a personal attack on their England striker and confirmed on Tuesday that they are submitting a formal complaint to the Football Association.

They also issued a statement yesterday — in conjunction with the player’s agent, Anthony McFarlane — outlining their concerns. After taking legal advice, the club have demanded a retraction from Mourinho and asked the FA to intervene if he does not comply.

“To query a player of Andrew’s integrity is wholly unacceptable and possibly defamatory,” the statement read. “We ask Mr Mourinho to immediately retract his allegations. We would urge the footballing authorities to look closely at Mr Mourinho’s comment and then, perhaps, seek a formal explanation. Both Everton FC and Andrew Johnson have always believed in the virtues of fair play.”

Everton are likely to be disappointed, however, because Mourinho is not the sort to apologise, even in the rare event when he believes he is in the wrong. It is understood that the Portuguese has reviewed the incident on video and is sticking to his original interpretation of events, with the club giving him their backing.

Undeterred, Everton on Tuesday confirmed they would be asking the FA to take action. The Merseysiders are aware that there are several interviews with Mourinho following the match with differing comments but one of the statements they are basing their complaint on is a television interview in which Mourinho says: "I know he dives."

Everton have a full transcript of that interview and and aware that Mourinho was also reported to have said: "He's dangerous for opponents because you can't trust him."

The FA is unlikely to take action against Mourinho because, though he accused Johnson of diving, he stopped short of calling him a cheat. It remains to be seen whether Everton will seek legal redress elsewhere.

Nevertheless, a spokesman at Soho Square said: "If we receive a formal complaint, of course we will treat it seriously."

David Moyes is angry at what he perceives to be Mourinho’s hypocrisy, with several players in his own team, such as Didier Drogba and Arjen Robben, having been accused of diving, and Everton’s players joined their manager yesterday in seeking to restore Johnson’s reputation. The 25-year-old has been under the microscope since winning seven penalties for Crystal Palace as they were relegated from the Premiership two years ago, while Neil Warnock and Arsène Wenger implied that he dived against Sheffield United and Arsenal this season.

Neither went as far as Mourinho, however, provoking an angry response from Phil Neville, the Everton utility player. “It’s not the first time Mourinho has said something like that and it’s probably the reason Andy Johnson isn’t getting penalties now,” Neville said. “It’s going to be very difficult for AJ to win a penalty now. People like Wenger and Mourinho are coming out and having a go at our players when it has got nothing to do with them. They should concentrate on their own teams.

“Mourinho’s got a fantastic team there and he should leave everything concerned with Everton to our manager and chairman. He’s got no right to say things like that about our player because Andy Johnson doesn’t go down easily in the area. He was pushed over against Chelsea, he was pushed over at Fulham, at Blackburn, against Arsenal here in the Carling Cup. That’s four times it has happened now. Maybe Mourinho should have a look at the incident on video, then have a look at himself in the mirror.”

Mourinho’s main concern is preparing his team for tomorrow’s Carling Cup quarter-final away to Newcastle United, where he will again be without John Terry. The Chelsea captain is suffering from a calf injury, rather than a back problem, as the club reported on Sunday, and is also doubtful for Saturday’s Premiership match away to Wigan Athletic.

After scoring a magnificent winner against Everton, Drogba believes that Chelsea have the psychological edge over Manchester United, who lead the table by two points. “We’ve shown we believe in our destiny and the psychological advantage is with us,” the Ivory Coast striker said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,283-2511650,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Football it appears is no longer a mans game. Diving, faking injury, taking legal action because someone said something bad against you. Come on lads give us a break. Lets get the sport back the way it was, played by 22 men and managed by 2. Not a bunch of handbags!

iregk wrote:
    Football it appears is no longer a mans game. Diving, faking injury, taking legal action because someone said something bad against you. Come on lads give us a break. Lets get the sport back the way it was, played by 22 men and managed by 2. Not a bunch of handbags!
    So should Everton just ignore José and his petty mind-games?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

iregk wrote:

No not football, just the Premiership (in England anyway).

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    So should Everton just ignore José and his petty mind-games?

Yes ... we're only acting at his level, by whinging to the FA -- as much as i love AJ , and think he is a great addition, he has been known to take a dive too quick .. we should shut up , and get on with it , and not always be moaning about some perceived injustice .. Football as stated is a mans game, and my hat goes of to that Sheffield Utd player Morgan, he gets a dig in the face, accepts McCullaghs apology , and doesn't bother whinging back to the FA . That for me is how the sport should be played , instead of some of the common day theatrics.

But if nothing is said about Mourinho then he wins. He's calling your player a cheat, even though its clear he didn't dive, and you are prepared to sit there and take it. He's bullying your team, as he has done to so many others.

Its all well and good saying its a mans game, but sitting back and letting Mourinho defame your club and your player just means he wins. 90% of the callers to "You're on Sky Sports" last night said the same thing.

Support your players ffs.

""I was very disappointed with the comments made by Jose Mourinho after Sunday's match with Chelsea.

"I believe the incident which was highlighted by Mr Mourinho was badly misinterpreted by him. I did not dive. I merely jumped out of the way of Chelsea's goalkeeper as he came out at my feet.

"I was not trying to get a penalty. I do not consider myself to be a diver. And I have to say that I feel greatly disappointed that my integrity as a footballer has been unfairly questioned in this way.

"I hope that the Chelsea manager will retract his statement."

Kingp35 wrote:
    No not football, just the Premiership (in England anyway).

Most of the diving and nancy boy stuff was imported from continental Europe, the English leagues and players would traditionally be regarded as physical and fair .

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Support your players ffs.

."

The game is over when he made his comments, so hes bullying no one, i just think Everton as a club moan too much about stuff. I believe AJ and Everton would better of not getting bothered in mind games and complaining to the FA.
    I don't just jump on the hate Mourinho bandwagon, he's doing something right as a manager, it was a great game , so why ruin it by petty after match squabbles . Same with Rooney, i don't have hard fealing unlike many other blues , he gave us much needed cash, as well as some great times.

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote:
    The game is over when he made his comments,

The game wasn't over when Mourinho was being restrained on the sidelines holding up an imaginary yellow card, nor when he mimicked diving to Moyes.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The game wasn't over when Mourinho was being restrained on the sidelines holding up an imaginary yellow card, nor when he mimicked diving to Moyes.

You really dislike the man, do you not admire his record ?
    He had his team fired up on Sunday, and winning at Goodison meant so much, even though we lost i really enjoyed the game , i admire him for his achievements as a manager.

thebaz wrote:
    You really dislike the man, do you not admire his record ?
    He had his team fired up on Sunday, and winning at Goodison meant so much, even though we lost i really enjoyed the game , i admire him for his achievements as a manager.

The thing is that I don't really dislike the man. Up until recently he was a legend, everything he touched turned to gold and everything he said brought a smile to my face.

But he's gone way OTT recently, in my opinion. Between the Stephen witch-Hunt and this, I've lost so much respect for the guy. His record is unparalleled, and he's a great manager, great motivator and great thinker, but he shows such an appalling lack of respect for his opposing players and managers alike that he is only going to make enemies.

He had his team fired up at Goodison on Sunday, yes, but scraping a late win against a fairly average side because of three pieces of individual class is not down to his great management. It's down to the massive money that has been invested in Chelsea and the signings that he has made. If Chelsea had played superbly as a team and won through grit and determination it might be time to praise him, but they won because three of their stars... namely Lampard, Ballack and Drogba hit three cracking strikes from outside the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Between the Stephen witch-Hunt and this,

And to think you were doing ok(notice I said ok) 'til you mentioned this clown :mad:
    MrJoeSoap wrote:

I've lost so much respect for the guy.

Do you really think he cares :D

Ah yes, Stephen Hunt is of course a clown, after his malicious attack on Cech. To think that had he managed to jump over him he'd be a diver. :p

"Chelsea FC: No-one likes us, we don't care."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Andy Johnson is a diver. Is anyone seriously disputing that?

Do some Chelsea players dive? Yes.

Do Chelsea, in general, dive as much as last season? No. Chelsea are going the opposite way to every other team. They are diving less and less all the time. The embarrassing Drogba - Lehmann Punch and Judy show aside, and a similarly 50-50 dive count in the Barcelona away game aside, Chelsea are far from the worst offenders for this problem. Mourinho arrived in England a fan of "professionalism". Now he has gone the opposite way, while English players, managers, referees, and analysts seem to have resigned themselves to it, and are now taking the attitude that "well if the foreigners are doing it why don't we?".

Bateman wrote:
    Andy Johnson is a diver. Is anyone seriously disputing that?

Eirebhoy might...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    "Chelsea FC: No-one likes us, we don't care."

pretty much sums up my attitude these days.

although I much rather being hated and champions and hated and not :)

anyway, Andrew Johnson is hardly going to win over a jury of his peers for defamation of character for alledged diving, he has dived, he does dive and no doub he will continue to dive given the opprtunity. Moyes main whinge, which serves only to add to the teacup based storm, is that Everton will find it harder to get a penalty in future because Mourinho's words will stay in their minds.

I too wish JM would shut up from time to time, having a go at AJ is so fvcking hyprocritical it beggars belief, his attitude can detract from his achievements certainly. Then again, I like the way he says whatever he wants , safe in the knowledge that he won't win with the english press no matter what he says.

Mad Dog wrote:
    And to think you were doing ok(notice I said ok) 'til you mentioned this clown :mad:

Whilst we're on the subject. Here's the view of his manager, one of the most respected and honest people in the game today. From today's Guardian...
    "It's nothing compared to Petr's injury but it would be a mini-tragedy for Stephen Hunt if his whole career is defined by that terrible moment. He's handled himself well but it's clearly still affecting him. And, while I hate to say it, whenever he goes near a goalkeeper there is still a reaction to it. I think it will be another year before he gets over it completely and it becomes an incident from the past. It's part of the painful development of a human being. We've all got those things in our life that we regret. Everyone has their own opinion and only Stephen really knows [the extent of his guilt]. But I know his character. Enthusiastic? Yes. Malicious, vindictive and vicious - as he's been labelled in some quarters - 100% no."

Mini-tragedy indeed. :(

I think it may be quite funny if Everton and AJ do proceed with legal action against Jose. They would be doing so on Jose calling him untrustworthy. Not for saying he dived in a particular game but that he is in gerneral untrustworthy. Now think about this for a second. On one side of a court room you have AJ and the defence verbally fighting their cause. On the other side you have Jose and the prosecution going through 100's of hours of game videos showing AJ winning pens.

You've got to admit, that would be quite funny. How do AJ and Everton fight that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mourinho makes apology to Johnson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6196799.stm

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has apologised for saying Everton striker Andrew Johnson was untrustworthy after Sunday's 3-2 victory at Goodison Park.
    Mourinho implied Johnson had dived to win a penalty and Everton made an official complaint to the Football Association about his comments.

Everton have also taken legal advice as they say the remarks question Johnson's "professionalism and integrity".

"Everton, his manager and he deserve my apologies," said Mourinho.

As an Evertonian , and someone who enjoys the physical side to the game, I go back to Sheffield Utds Chris Morgan , his response to his black eye and apology, is the honourable way to go "its a mans game" -- pity more in the game have not the same attitude , with the amount of whinging, diving and nancy boy carry on.

Anyway Mourinho, has now apologised, so hopefully this petty squabble is put to bed , and we can concentrate on the football, the way it should be.

"First I would like to say I have the utmost respect for Everton football club, David Moyes and their players," said Mourinho. "That's why I love to play them, and especially at Goodison Park where the atmosphere is magnificent. Secondly, after the match I was clear and said Andy Johnson is a great player and I never used aggressive words, like some managers did against my players in previous seasons, or like some others recently said about him and Ronaldo. I never used the word 'cheat'.

"After seeing it again on the video, [the referee] Mr [Mark] Halsey did wonderful work and both decisions for penalties were correct. Did Andy Johnson try to avoid a collision with my goalkeeper? It seems now the answer to that is yes so Everton, his manager and he deserve my apologies."

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the only thing to come out all this is that Moyes and Everton look a bit petty and silly really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Jose apology is of course more mind gamez! ;)

Mike.

Hopefully now the Mourinho bashers can't take this as see that he does have a bit of a backbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He has a backbone, it's winning.
    He couldn't give a ****e about the rest, everything he does helps him win, nothing he says in the media is a real reflection of his personality, except that he knows how to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mourinho waving more imaginary cards tonight against the Toon. When will the twat learn?

A twat? Careful there archimedes I got banned before for calling a united player something similar.

I turned off at half time as it was a dire game so didn't see the card thing. Speaking of it though. I thought the FA/FIFA were supposed to be outlawing this? Is it not an auto yellow for players who do this? Does this not also go for the heads on the line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

iregk wrote:

I turned off at half time as it was a dire game
    Is this what this Chelsea side have reduced their own fans to - switching off in a cup quarter final when it's scoreless at half time? How sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Is saying "you deserve my apology", the equivalent of "I apologise" ?
    :D

kinaldo wrote:
    Is this what this Chelsea side have reduced their own fans to - switching off in a cup quarter final when it's scoreless at half time? How sad.

Not at all. I generally have no interest at all in the Carling Cup unless we are in the final and even if we loose that its not the end of the world. Sorry but there are bigger fish to fry than the bacardi and coke cup. The first half was absolute pants apart from a scorching shot from Martins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

iregk wrote:

The first half was absolute pants apart from a scorching shot from Martins.

And Sheva hittin' the post on half time ;)

Ah yes sorry mad dog forgot about that one.

Advertisement