Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

premiership at its best

• 18-12-2006 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

Even though we got beat, really enjoyed the Everton Chelsea game yesterday, showed all thats good in the game, and why the Premiership is so entertaining .
    Yes Johnson does go down a little too easy for my liking, and Mourinho did some after match moaning , but for passion this match had everything that i like about football, competetive, passion, great goals , and some more passion -- everything but the result.
    While it would be easy to have a go at Mourinho, for his post match comments, i admire him for the passion he has instilled in Chelsea , they really have that desire to win , and give 100 %.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Cracking game yesterday. It had everything. Fast paced. Tough tackling. Great goals. Pure drama. And a bit of controversy at the end to top it all.

For all those who think the Premiership "is nowhere near" the best league in the world have a look at the groups tables in the Champions League and UEFA Cup, it won't take you long to find the Premiership teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes the Everton-Chelsea match was very exciting stuff.
    High tempo,hard tackling and unpredictable.
    However the general quality of football on display was very poor.
    Chelsea were rubbish in the first half and in perspective I dont think they had any decent effort from inside the penalty box in the whole match bar Drogba hitting the post.
    The West Ham - United match was very poor.
    United were hopeless yesterday and West Ham had 10 men behind the ball on most occassions.
    Both matches were exciting sure no doubt but the quality of football in both was bad bar Chelsea's 3 strikes.
    The vast majority of the match was played in the middle third and the ball was in play 22 of 48 mins in the first half,thats brutal.
    I'd love to know what Mourinho does to his players at half time to fire them up so much,United could do with some of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Still though I would be surprised if an English team won the Champions League or UEFA Cup this season despite their heavy representation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Arsenal v Portsmouth was deadly,then it looked like Aston Villa and Bolton game was going to be the best game...until that Everton game came along.

Some good stuff this weekend, thats comin from a disappointed United fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Premiership is good and all, but its no Championship!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Totally agree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

MrJoeSoap wrote:

sing it sister!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

gustavo wrote:
    Still though I would be surprised if an English team won the Champions League or UEFA Cup this season despite their heavy representation

How many British clubs have won or been in the finals of either competition in the last 6 or 7 years?

Actually:

UEFA Cup:

2005/2006 - Middlesbrough - Sevilla
    2002/2003 - Celtic - Porto
    2000/2001 - Liverpool - Alavés
    1999/2000 - Galatasaray - Arsenal

Champions League:

2005/2006 - Barcelona - Arsenal
    2004/2006 - Milan - Liverpool
    1998/1999 - Man. United - Bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

6 or 7 years (8 for the ManU - Bayern one) is a long time in football.

Its much more revealing that in the last two years, there has been an English team in 3 out of the 4 finals.

I would in no way rule out an English team winning the European Cup. 4 teams through to the knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I too echo the OP's sentiments. Everton vs Chelsea was cracking.

Also, can't wait to see Goal of the Month for December. Some contenders below, four of them from yesterday!

Matt Taylor (vs Everton)

Essien (vs Arsenal)

Matt Taylor (vs Arsenal)

Drogba (vs Everton)

Lampard (vs Everton)

Huddlestone (vs Man City)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I too echo the OP's sentiments. Everton vs Chelsea was cracking.

Also, can't wait to see Goal of the Month for December. Some contenders below, four of them from yesterday!

Matt Taylor (vs Everton)

Essien (vs Arsenal)

Matt Taylor (vs Arsenal)

Drogba (vs Everton)

Lampard (vs Everton)

Huddlestone (vs Man City)
    You forgot Emre v Reading!

What about Bentley vs Reading???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFALxQS2ArA

kinaldo wrote:
    You forgot Emre v Reading!
    Brilliant stuff, hadn't seen that one!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    What about Bentley vs Reading???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFALxQS2ArA
    You could have dug out a link that didn't have Reading's celebration looped about 10 times :p

I tried! Honestly I did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd give it to Taylor, followed closely by Drogba --
    I wonder are Everton practising tight defending , if not they should begin !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

gustavo wrote:

thats what we all said when liverpool won it :) Still can't believe they did actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I tried! Honestly I did!

I'm just suprised it didn't have Gareth Bale in the clip! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

smemon wrote:
    thats what we all said when liverpool won it :) Still can't believe they did actually.

Lol I think we would all do well to remember it also. We all know how many time they were written off after each draw. Any of the English clubs could do it with a wee bit of good fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIYZC6uUjaM

my fav commentry of the goal, the guy gets very excited :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement