Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue tits seem to be building a nest in December!

• 18-12-2006 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭

We have a couple of nesting boxes in our garden, which up till now have largely been ignored by the local bird population, probably because we have two cats. However, in the last week or so we've been noticing a lot of rubbish around the entrance hole, and upon taking a closer look with the binoculars, saw that it was moss which they have been picking out from in between our patio slabs. Also, we've seen two blue tits occasionally popping in and out.

I can't imagine they're actually preparing a nest already, but could they just be sheltering from the cold weather?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

In the last few years that kind of thing is becoming common. It may have been wet and windy of late, but it has been mild. Spring flowers are sprouting already, birds are singing well before dawn, so it is not unusual. You may remember there were some birds nesting early this year in Cork or Limerick, near a hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

This is from is some audio I got last week of a fox in the area. It was recorded at about 5:25am on December 14th. As well as the fox, you can also here some birds singing:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/Fox.wav

I've heard them singing a lot earlier than that of late too.

Advertisement