Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to block access to running programs?

• 18-12-2006 4:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've a Dell running xp which my mother uses mostly but I have some programs running in the background which I'd like to block her from. She isn't computer literate and often accidentally closes them.

Any suggestions? Maybe something that could add password protection to running programs? But I still need to have quick access to programs myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

XP Home or Pro?
    Surely you have separate accounts & Fast User Switching enabled? All you'd have to do then is disable access to task manager for her account (gpedit.msc -XP Pro), and password-protect yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks Karoma. It's XP Home. Had a look and that should work fine. I considered this but I thought switching users would take too long but its pretty fast. I use macs mostly so I haven't a clue about xp :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

other options

if they are non-interactive you could set them up as services, it's really an option for advanced users though

if your video card supports dual monitors or extended screens you could drag and drop the application to the screen where she can't see them

Advertisement