Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasty Incident at creche..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Slow coach wrote:
    Another incident: We were on holiday in France. We were standing together in a line gazing out to sea. There was a very stiff breeze in our faces. Suddenly, the wind dropped and my youngest daughter, aged 2 years 10 months fell flat on her face. The stony, gritty surface of the road took a small lump out of her forehead, just above her eye. She still has the dent.

OMG thats so awful, is the little mite OK? You mustnt let this incident go. You should sue the ministry of see breezes and occasional winds, and the tourism board, and the ministry of road-laying people, and the travel agents who organised your holidy, and dammit, even mother nature for putting that view there in the first place where unsuspecting children (bless their little cotton socks!) could be fooled by evil sciroccos!!!!

Seriously though, the OP needs to get over himself. Accidents happen. If he wants his kid to never ever ever get hurt, then he should lock her in a padded cell in an ivory tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

We have not brought her back into the creche since it happened

Why not? The child is fine. You're wasting your holiday days to look after a child who's fine when she could get chickenpox or something else soon and you'll have need of your time off then to nurse her for a week or two. Have a bit of perspective.

Also, if you make a huge deal out of every little knock a child gets then you'll raise a spoilt whining hypochondriacal pest.

Did you never hurt yourself as a child? Are you going to deprive your daughter of a bike or roller skates or anything else as she gets older? Hell, she could get a paper cut reading a bedtime story.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

That is a dreadful story, but like the other posts i do believe accidents happen. More often than not, its the children themselves who run into each other and bumped heads and spilt lips are the result of acting like a power ranger or what not.
    You can run around all you want after a 3 year old, watching them, entertaining them and ensuring they dont hurt them selves, inevitably something will and i know as a child minder the guilt is dreadful. You as the parent, leave your precious child in my care and when they hurt themselves I am often very upset about the whole situation.
    You scenario is different though, a 3 year old is fast, a 11 month old, not so much. You have to be so careful with babies and with their explorative nature its hard to make sure that they can explore safely.
    If your confidence is blown with this creche you will question every incident in future, sure its close but if you dont feel happy and are constantly worrying, why bother? Can you put a price on peace of mind?

Thats my bit, i just had to get it off my mind, hope your little girl is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

deswalsh wrote:
    OMG thats so awful, is the little mite OK? You mustnt let this incident go. You should sue the ministry of see breezes and occasional winds, and the tourism board, and the ministry of road-laying people, and the travel agents who organised your holidy, and dammit, even mother nature for putting that view there in the first place where unsuspecting children (bless their little cotton socks!) could be fooled by evil sciroccos!!!!

Seriously though, the OP needs to get over himself. Accidents happen. If he wants his kid to never ever ever get hurt, then he should lock her in a padded cell in an ivory tower.

cheers deswalsh...thanks for the helpful response...u seem to know so much about accidents..are you one yourself?

I know a child cannot be protected all the time and their are hazards all every where, U seem to be missing my point...if you gave me 800 euro a month to mind your child and I called you to say he/she caught their fingers in a door hinge because I was not paying attention to him/her would U just shrug it off and say 'accidents happen'?

never mind, no point in continuing this thread, maybe I am not making my point clear or maybe people are playing the devil's advocate..either way I am tired with all this rubbish now.
    Children can and do have accidents every day. Would I have called an ambulance for this insidence. NO ... its way too trivial for an ambulance. Regardless of how big an event you think it is . It - in the scheme of things - is a small minor accident.

Had she managed to pull a kettle of boiling water onto herself I could see why they might have called an ambulance.

You daughter caught her finger in a door. She did not get attacked by a craven axe madman while attending the creche.

As can be seen by reading your replies you are not going to be satisified untill the creche crawl over broken glass to appologise profusely to you. And even then I cant see you being happy.

Your child is not yet a year. She did not lose a finger. She did not suffer the lose of the use of that finger. She will not remember this next week.

You however will hold this over the creche owners till hell freezes over.

You should change caregivers .. you are never going to be happy with the current creche.

Would you or your partner not consider rearing your child yourself?

littlebitdull, firstly the creche never did apologise at all! I do not expect them to crawl over broken glass etc...just an admission would be nice but they have not done that...the word 'sorry' was never said.

yes I would love to stay at home and mind my daughter, my wife would love to do that also but unfortunately things like mortgages have to be repaid...do you have children? If so who minds them? If your answer is 'the grandparents' then stop wasting our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ned78 wrote:
    Stuff like this happens all the time. Conincidentally, when I was 3, at home, I managed to shear the top of my thumb completely off in a door hinge.
    Children can and do have accidents every day. Would I have called an ambulance for this insidence. NO ... its way too trivial for an ambulance. Regardless of how big an event you think it is . It - in the scheme of things - is a small minor accident.
    :rolleyes:

=-=

Did I ever get a bump, or hit my head? Yeah, I went through a car window (you could see the dent the windscreen wiper on the helmet", so an amulance was needed. Sure, lots of kids fall off their bikes, but if an amulance wasn't called, I'd be proberly dead now.

=-=

They may not want to give an admission of guilt, as they may fear that in doing so gives you a reason to sue them with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

littlebitdull, firstly the creche never did apologise at all! I do not expect them to crawl over broken glass etc...just an admission would be nice but they have not done that...the word 'sorry' was never said.

yes I would love to stay at home and mind my daughter, my wife would love to do that also but unfortunately things like mortgages have to be repaid...do you have children? If so who minds them? If your answer is 'the grandparents' then stop wasting our time.

Looks like you are the one who is timewasting! So your child had a minor accident and if he/she gets to old age with only this one the that will be a miracle.

The creche discharged their duty as best as possible and if you are not happy about that then get legal advice.

Now I have children who are now grown upand had a mortgage on a lousy salary. The children's mother opted to stay at home for the first six years to look after them. These were the days when the ould labour did not pay out. The financial burden was very difficult and overtime and nixers were the order of the day.

When my wife eventually got a mickey mouse badly paid rostered job the kids went very occasionally to the grannies. One day the poor woman phoned up to say that we should come quickly as sonny-boy came tumbling down the stairs and fell through the window. There was glass and blood all over the place.

We took him off to the local GP who cleaned up the mess and the accident took on the real perspective that was lots of blood, panic, mess and no lasting trauma. We took him back to his gran to reassure her that it was not the huge crisis thatr she thought and that we trusted her as accidents do happen.

Now your child has no lasting injuries so either drop the bitching or take the creche to court. Other parents are obviously using the facility and it is unhelpful and inappropriate to carry on as you are.

Remember, the ultimate responsibility for your offspring rests with you and if you cannot trust a creche then the other option is to mind the child yourself. Citing mortgage obligations does not cut it. There are young skanger wans who live in corpo dwellings and stay at home to mind the kids. You make your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Heinrich wrote:
    Looks like you are the one who is timewasting! So your child had a minor accident and if he/she gets to old age with only this one the that will be a miracle.

The creche discharged their duty as best as possible and if you are not happy about that then get legal advice.

Now I have children who are now grown upand had a mortgage on a lousy salary. The children's mother opted to stay at home for the first six years to look after them. These were the days when the ould labour did not pay out. The financial burden was very difficult and overtime and nixers were the order of the day.

When my wife eventually got a mickey mouse badly paid rostered job the kids went very occasionally to the grannies. One day the poor woman phoned up to say that we should come quickly as sonny-boy came tumbling down the stairs and fell through the window. There was glass and blood all over the place.

We took him off to the local GP who cleaned up the mess and the accident took on the real perspective that was lots of blood, panic, mess and no lasting trauma. We took him back to his gran to reassure her that it was not the huge crisis thatr she thought and that we trusted her as accidents do happen.

Now your child has no lasting injuries so either drop the bitching or take the creche to court. Other parents are obviously using the facility and it is unhelpful and inappropriate to carry on as you are.

Remember, the ultimate responsibility for your offspring rests with you and if you cannot trust a creche then the other option is to mind the child yourself. Citing mortgage obligations does not cut it. There are young skanger wans who live in corpo dwellings and stay at home to mind the kids. You make your choice.

What a load of old tripe. the creche were offering a service for which they are PAID! Part of that service is to ensure that no harm comes to their charges. You may well saythat accidents happen... they do, but it is possible to prevent reasonably foreseeable accidents such as getting kids fingers stuck in doors. They were aware of the risks, yet did not take the necessary precautions to prevent such an accident occuring. The fact that the child in question was not badly injured is not down to the prudent management of the creche, but purely down to luck.

They were also right to call the ambulance. THe childs fingers were still stuck, and getting some handyman with a screwdeiver to remove them could have caused harm.

I believe that your problem with the OP is more based on his lifestyle choice of a double income family... of course they could always follow your advice, give up their jobs, go on the dole and look for a corpo house.

To the OP.... sue them

heinrich what on earth are u on about?

I did make my choice..I chose work hard for a qualification to get a job to earn a living to support my family. I don't have the option of getting the 'granny' to mind the children...and your point of comparing an accident that occurred in her care against that of a professional childing minding body is nonsense.

U don't know the first thing about my background...so don't go on about how tough you may have had it etc...also easy on your remarks about people with children in 'corpo dwellings'...

thanks landser...good to see there is some common sense out there!

heinrich if my 'rants' are tiring you then please stop reading this thread and have a little nap.

thanks HashSlinging, she is in good form. I think this thread has spiralled out of control...with comments from the likes of Heinrich about unrelated things like my getting a better job or 'skanger wans in corpo dwellings' I think I will leave it at that. Thanks to those who contributed some sense to this thread.

heinrich what on earth are u on about?

I did make my choice..I chose work hard for a qualification to get a job to earn a living to support my family. I don't have the option of getting the 'granny' to mind the children...and your point of comparing an accident that occurred in her care against that of a professional childing minding body is nonsense.

U don't know the first thing about my background...so don't go on about how tough you may have had it etc...also easy on your remarks about people with children in 'corpo dwellings'...

Get a better job then and let the mother do what is best...

You know that you are not the only one who ever had a child, don't you? Now life is long enough and hard enough so a little bobo from time to time should be tolerable.

We already know your views on child minding bodies. There is an alternative. You cannot have everything...

Finally, I do not give a highlander's about your background, that is your business but your ranting is becoming tiresome. When your children grow up and we can see the results of your labours come and discuss and in the meantime brace yourself for more more knocks in life for yourself and your family. That is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Can we keep it civil please and no more personal comments or obervations for ye will be sent for a time out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

This person is paying for a service and has been treated very badly by the creche in question. Why should he forget about it and carry on, I've said it before on this site that crèches get away with far to much in this country.

Leas cross is another example of where we as a nation have let things slip, and its just a matter of time before this happens to our youngest most important asset.

Glad to see you took advantage of your poor gran to make ends meet, a lot of people in the real world dont have that option.

Your also bitter towards your wife for taking a "mikey mouse rostered job"..whats all that about.

To the OP - I hope your little Girl is ok.

Due to the lack of child care in the country esp after school care it means that someone who as been a stay at home parent can find it very hard to get back into the work force and all the talk about flexitime and wroking from home tends to be that talk.

So you can find yourself having to get a job that can be done with in school hours and that tends to be retail which for the most part is a micky mouse rostered job when it is not full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Run_forest_run – as a father of a 10 month old in a crèche I can see where you are coming from. It was a nasty incident which luckily turned out ok. I can understand why the crèche called the ambulance as your daughter was probably hysterical and it would have been clearly difficult to see how bad her fingers were.

With regard to how the crèche handled the incident, I think they have done ok, maybe they should have been a bit more diplomatic and called you the next day to see how your daughter was, but they have put in place measures to prevent the incident recurring.

The incident was probably a freak accident and it is probably nigh on impossible to foresee every possible incident both in the crèche and the home. I remember the day (the only day) I forgot to close the stair guard and despite only being out of the room 15 secs, I return to find my daughter half way up the stairs. Luckily I got to her in time and nothing happened, but my point is it could have.

Another poster alluded to the fact that an 11 month old may not be very quick, from the evidence of my 10 month old I would have to disagree very strongly, she may not be able to cover 100 metres in the same time as her father did in his youth, but she is getting there and is easily able to cross a room unnoticed when my back is turned for 5 seconds.

You also mention that you should be able to trust professional and qualified childminders, I wouldn’t be so sure how qualified all of the childminders in the crèche are, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think it is mandatory that all the childminders are qualified.

BTW, I wish we were only paying €800 a month, I live in Dublin and the fees have just risen from €930 a month to €995 a month.

I think the OP might be a little bitter at the cost of the creche. That's how much it costs I'm afraid. If you paid a childminder slightly less than that, would you accept a slightly lower standard of care? I think not, therefore the argument of paying them E800 a month has nothing to do with it. If this happened in a child-minder's house would you have reacted the same way or would you have treated it as if it had happened at home (ie not made such a meal of it)? The creche did what they thought was best at the time (ambulance, call parents), but to be honest I wouldn't blame them for not coming out with the "admission" of guilt you're seeking. From the way you've carried on they're probably sure you're about to sue them for your own mental trauma or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

dame wrote:
    I think the OP might be a little bitter at the cost of the creche. That's how much it costs I'm afraid.

Where did you get that from??

Hi Linford, thanks for your feedback..I accept your points. Yes I suppose you are right about the qualifications of staff in creches..the system sucks but we can only do our best and that is why I wanted to get people's opinions on this incident..in order to find out how to best handle this situation to try and make the chance of a thing like this happening again less likely. wow, that is some price in Dublin alright.

please explain yourself dame? Why would I be bitter with the cost of the creche?? I knew how much the creche charge well before I put my daughter in there in the first place.

please explain what you are saying based on everything I said, otherwise zip it.

run_Forrest_run telling anyone to Zip it is incredibly rude and certainly not civil.
    Anymore snotty and snappy remarks and you will get a ban from this forum.
    I have already issues one warning in this thread as it is :mad:

In fairness, what dame said was pretty inflammatory. There's no indication from the OP that he's in any way bitter about having to pay 800 euro for a creche, more like, he is paying them money and they're not watching or protecting his child adequately.

Well run-forest-run has ask dame to come and quantify that statement if run-forest-run was that offended they could have used the report post function.

Children do have accidents, bumps and bruises part of how they learn about themselves and the world around them; but to my mind there should have been hinge protector on both sides of the door and the creche should have followed up the next day.

Saying sorry when something does happen while a child in your care would to my mind be something you should do even it is a case that a child just triped or ran into a wall for the fun ( kids do odd things ) but in the case of a creche which is a buisness and esp a chain of creches they are put the legal concerns first by not officall apolgising and while that may seen harsh, uncalled for and daft admiting such liabity on top of an accident report which thier insurers will review most business will just not do that.

run_forest_run did you get a copy of the acident report from the creche
    from the hospital and a copy of the emt's report ?

Hi all,

Here I will quote, word for word, three instances when the OP brought up the amount he is paying the creche;

First instance, taken from 1st para in post #18, posted on 20-12-06 at 08:06;
    "I do not pay that creche 800 euro per month for them to turn around and say to me that this sort of thing happens all the time!"

Second instance, taken from 5th para in post #18, posted on 20-12-06 at 08:06;
    "ned78, if you paid a company who say are qualified to look after babies 800 euro a month you would not expect this to happen".

Third instance, taken from 2nd para in post #35, posted today at 10:34;
    "if you gave me 800 euro a month to mind your child and I called you to say he/she caught their fingers in a door hinge because I was not paying attention to him/her would U just shrug it off and say 'accidents happen'?"

There is a further quote which I believe illustrates the same point, taken from the last para of post #35 (OP replying to littlebitdull), posted today at 10:34;
    "yes I would love to stay at home and mind my daughter, my wife would love to do that also but unfortunately things like mortgages have to be repaid ... do you have children? If so who minds them? If your answer is 'the grandparents' then stop wasting our time."

I think I've proved my point here.
    So what does the amount you are paying have to do with anything??
    I think it is unnecessary to repeatedly bring up the amount you are paying them, as part of your argument.
    I also think it is extremely rude to effectively say that people who don't have children minded in creches are wasting peoples' time by posting on this thread. Do you think they don't have a valid opinion because they don't pay large sums for their child to be minded?
    I do think you are bitter about having to pay this amount to the only creche in the area and you seem to hold the creche to exacting standards of care, which even you and your wife together would not be able to provide in your own home, every second of every day.

Grandparents and creches are not the only child-minding options available you know. Have you looked for a good child-minder? You can check up her references and qualifications and she might even charge a bit less than the creche. To be honest though, if I was the child-minder you came to and I knew you were the father posting here, I would not agree to mind your child. It just would not be worth the hassle if the child ever had an accident, however minor.

I've heard of creches having a web-cam installed so that parents can log on and have a look at how their child is doing during the day. I don't know how expensive those would be to install (it might make your monthly fee increase), but you could always suggest that to the manager. It might help put your mind at ease, since you seem to have no alternative but this particular creche.

• Advertisement

dame, not knowing what area you are living in but where i am living it is extremely difficult to find a child minder, do you not think I investigated that avenue? I am not from the area and do not know many people around to benefit from word of mouth or good references. The same applies to yourself dame, if you came to my door for child minding services I would happily relieve you of the 'hassle' as you put it..I hope not all child minders see a parents concern with accidents as hassle!

There are also downsides to child minders, what to do when they are sick? When they want to take holidays? Suddenly they want to leave without much notice? Less interaction with other children (if child minder is only minding the one child).

Money is not the issue here, seeing as they are supposed to look after my child you cannot put a price on that, in the quotes above I was simply stating that I was paying for a service, period. Anyway I think this is drifting from the original point of this thread.

dame wrote:
    I think it is unnecessary to repeatedly bring up the amount you are paying them, as part of your argument.
    I also think it is extremely rude to effectively say that people who don't have children minded in creches are wasting peoples' time by posting on this thread. Do you think they don't have a valid opinion because they don't pay large sums for their child to be minded?
    I do think you are bitter about having to pay this amount to the only creche in the area and you seem to hold the creche to exacting standards of care, which even you and your wife together would not be able to provide in your own home, every second of every day.

To be honest though, if I was the child-minder you came to and I knew you were the father posting here, I would not agree to mind your child. It just would not be worth the hassle if the child ever had an accident, however minor.

Dame makes somd excellent points here to which I subscribe fully. It would seem that the constant references to the actual cost of child care implies that the OP expects a perfect accident free service for the child. Frankly, this is not possible and statistics too often show that the home is the primary place where child accidents occur, many very serious.

Paying out money will not discharege the parent of his/her fundamental obligation towards the child. As I have tried to point out, the parent makes the choice and using the argument of expensive mortgages or child minding fees does not absolve one from that responsibility! The anology of the young wan with the kid living in corpo lodgement was misinterpreted in my opinion.

The wans who live in skangerdom choose that lifestyle and as long as their children are properly looked after then their duty towards the children is being discharged correctly. If you want to add to the financial argument why not mention the larger car with the more expensive car seat or whatever...

Some of us raised children without the luxury of a nice cosy house and two cars in the driveway. The quality of life is not measured in cash terms. A bit less money and a lot less stress is also a good combination for a happy family.

The pleasure of cycling home daily at midday to see the wife and children and eat pasta because it is cheap is a rare pleasure. You make your choice.

To get back on topic, if you really think that there will be no accidents in child care then there is a problem. I know of one child who was accidentally knocked down by a jogger whilst leaving a shop, having his hand held by his auntie. He spent a week in Temple Street for observation for suspected brain damage. Happily he recovered from that episode.

yes I got a copy of the accident report. I also contacted the hospital and was told of the contents of the report on presentation. I have met with the manager of the creche and discussed by concerns. Since then they have installed more hinge protectors (why they were not all installed in the first place I'll never know). They have also put up a gate around the door which means the babies cannot get near the door in the first place.
    I am satisfied with their subsequent actions and I know perfectly well it is the legal side of things which means they cannot simply say sorry and put their hands up to this...anyway what's done is done and the main thing is no serious injury was caused.

dame, not knowing what area you are living in but where i am living it is extremely difficult to find a child minder, do you not think I investigated that avenue? I am not from the area and do not know many people around to benefit from word of mouth or good references. The same applies to yourself dame, if you came to my door for child minding services I would happily relieve you of the 'hassle' as you put it..I hope not all child minders see a parents concern with accidents as hassle!

I'm not a childminder and my child is looked after in a creche actually.
    There's concern and there's knowing when to let something go. All that could be done at the time was done and they have made improvements since. They've also filled out the accident reports and done everything by the book. To continue with your complaining at the creche is pointless unless you are actually going to sue.

A little story; one evening I picked up my child and was told she has a bump on her forehead cos she banged heads with X. I had a look at her, said these things happen, thanks for telling me and turned around to put her coat on. I then saw the father of X come in, be told the same thing but he then proceeded to launch a tirade against the two poor girls minding the kids. Strangely enough, his argument was along the lines of "I'm paying you to look after my child...how could this happen...I'll need to speak to the manager". He just couldn't accept the fact that children will reach down for the same toy at the same time. In his eyes, he was paying for a service so it was completely unacceptable for his darling to be allowed bump heads with another child. He stalked off to talk to the manager and one girl turned to the other and said she was glad the family were leaving. Turns out the second child was on the way soon and the mother was giving up work to look after them. I hope the father hasn't held her to such standards since!

dame wrote:

I think I've proved my point here.
    So what does the amount you are paying have to do with anything??

You haven't proved your point at all, you're using those quotes to suit your own argument. In fact it's quite strange that you would go to all that trouble of picking out all those quotes.

It's quite obvious the OP is saying he isn't paying for his child to attend a professional child care facility only to be injured because they haven't child-proofed the place properly or taken adequate care with his child.

This isn't a points scoring debate, but people sharing thier experiences and looking at things from thier own point of view.

We can only read so much into what words appear here ad how we read them is coloured buy who we are and our own experiences as well.

Everyone knows how emotions run high when we find out that our child or a child we care for has been hurt.

Hinge protectors are a pretty new thing only developed in the last few years,
    while it makes sense to have them I wonder are they mandated by the health and safety regs ?

what are U on about? Who ever mentioned cosy houses, 2 cars in driveway, fancy car seat? As you said you don't give a highlands about my background..so U don't have a clue, why not take the chip off your shoulder and come clean about your own bitterness but please don't do it in this thread as it is not related to the original point.

cycling hope at lunchtime to see the wife and children and eat pasta?? what on earth has this to do with the original point?? unless I was Lance Armstrong that would not be possible no matter how much cheap pasta I ate...I don't think I am alone here..or maybe because I work 10 miles from my house makes me a bad husband and father now does it?

listen kids bumping into each other is part and parcel with life...of course it is. I accept that and no matter where you are that could happen..it happened to all of us. It is not the same however as a baby getting fingers jammed in a hinge door by someone closing the door when the child should have not been near the door in the first place (in the context of my point, a creche!).

anyway something has been done about it so end of story and life goes on.

what are U on about? Who ever mentioned cosy houses, 2 cars in driveway, fancy car seat? As you said you don't give a highlands about my background..so U don't have a clue, why not take the chip off your shoulder and come clean about your own bitterness but please don't do it in this thread as it is not related to the original point.

cycling hope at lunchtime to see the wife and children and eat pasta?? what on earth has this to do with the original point?? unless I was Lance Armstrong that would not be possible no matter how much cheap pasta I ate...I don't think I am alone here..or maybe because I work 10 miles from my house makes me a bad husband and father now does it?

listen kids bumping into each other is part and parcel with life...of course it is. I accept that and no matter where you are that could happen..it happened to all of us. It is not the same however as a baby getting fingers jammed in a hinge door by someone closing the door when the child should have not been near the door in the first place (in the context of my point, a creche!).

anyway something has been done about it so end of story and life goes on.

The point being made was that you chose your lifestyle and that obviously includes any risks you might incur with child minding facilities.

The other point made was that EVEN if you or your wife were to mind the child at home there are accident risks.

What your offspring underwent was certainly not life threatening and you will find out as you progress on the parenting adventure that there will be further risks to be taken care of.

As I explained earlier, I have grown up offspring so I can claim some parental experience which includes hospital visits etc.

Happily for you your child has gottten over her little trauma and as you say that ends that. Or does it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

cheers deswalsh...thanks for the helpful response...u seem to know so much about accidents..are you one yourself?
    Now now, no need for that! Whether I'm an accident or not is my parents business not yours.
    Also, my response was not intended to be helpful, it was intended to show how OTT your reaction to this incident is.
    maybe people are playing the devil's advocate..
    Thats the term I was looking for...
    I know a child cannot be protected all the time and their are hazards all every where, U seem to be missing my point...if you gave me 800 euro a month to mind your child and I called you to say he/she caught their fingers in a door hinge because I was not paying attention to him/her would U just shrug it off and say 'accidents happen'?

did they shrug it off and say 'accidents happen'? I dont think so, they took action to ensure your child was treated after the accident, even to the point of getting an ambulance just in case the injury was bad.

littlebitdull, do you have children? If so who minds them? If your answer is 'the grandparents' then stop wasting our time.

Ooh more nasty stuff! This also seems to contradict your point that you're not bitter about the money end of things, no?

OK, my final words on this, as I feel a pee'd off moderator about to give this thread the chop!.
    I'm sorry your child got hurt. I do hope she is OK, but as an experienced father, I'm sure she will get over this, probably quicker than her parents will.
    You need to chill out a bit, this wont be her last accident.
    Expect a vast range of responses on Boards.ie to anything you post and dont get upset that people disagree vehemently with your views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

[QUOTE}

yes I would love to stay at home and mind my daughter, my wife would love to do that also but unfortunately things like mortgages have to be repaid...do you have children? If so who minds them? If your answer is 'the grandparents' then stop wasting our time.[/QUOTE]

Actually no ... strange as it is in this day and age - I am actually raring all of my children MYSELF - shock horror *gasps in disbelief*

And as I have more than one wee one I do have some small experience of children over the years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement