Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Question

Options
  • 18-12-2006 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am currently looking a replacing my own car with one from the UK. However, I cannot really do without my own car so what I am thinking of doing is when I locate that car in the UK that I need importing it but not registering it with the VRT until I sell my own. I would not intend to drive this car and as such would simply bring it in and park it in my private driveway until I sell my own car to cover the cost of the VRT.

Now I understand that I must register an imported car within 24 hours (or next day of importing) but if a car is off the road, is this necessary?

I am not trying to evade tax but it could be a while before my current car sells and I would like to release the money from it for the VRT. Which makes sense to me, but what makes sense isn't always law.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Cant see the problem at all as you wont actually be driving it on the road,your only worry would be temporary transfare of insurance if your collecting the car yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

There shouldnt be a problem with that.

If the car is geniunely off the road, then thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Legally there would be a problem with that, as you've pointed out yourself, car must be registered 24 hours after importing it. As an Irish resident, car been off the road is not a defence to the Customs people.

At least take the number plates off it or keep it out of sight (garaged) from nosey neighbours etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Legally there would be a problem with that, as you've pointed out yourself, car must be registered 24 hours after importing it. As an Irish resident, car been off the road is not a defence to the Customs people.

At least take the number plates off it or keep it out of sight (garaged) from nosey neighbours etc!
    Yes, very true, but to be fair, I've only heard of one person who was told register the car within 24 hours (by a not too friendly guard - he was just off the boat and was driving it back, was a trader so didn't have to actually re-reg it immediately, but guard wasn't having any of that!!).
    By and large, customs officers in local towns tend to keep an eye out for cars that are about a lot over a number of weeks before they approach the drivers. So one drive home and parking it shouldn't raise any cause for investigation.
    As said above, hide it if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

so do you have to bring in proof of when you brought the car into the country when you return?

where does it state it has to be registered within 24hrs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

This actually seems crazy. Even if I was to bring it in on the back of a truck and never put it on Irish roads I am supposed to pay VRT?

I would have thought keeping it on private property meant no VRT. Isn't that why the airports have unregistered vehicles (as always on the airport lands). If I keep a car on private property surely the can't sieze it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

jayok wrote:
    This actually seems crazy. Even if I was to bring it in on the back of a truck and never put it on Irish roads I am supposed to pay VRT?

I would have thought keeping it on private property meant no VRT. Isn't that why the airports have unregistered vehicles (as always on the airport lands). If I keep a car on private property surely the can't sieze it?

You would think so, but the customs officier has the power to enter your property and sieze your car.

now this is the exception.

But if the car is off the road and garaged, i cant see how you could have a problem, unless you are driving it around or a nosey neighbour rings the VRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

The law is the law and it must be taken that way! However I think you will find that most of the customs officers tend to use some common sense when carrying out their duties and once they don't see the car on the road and that you are using an Irish registered car for you everyday driving I doubt you will run into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You could actually try and talk to your local VRT officer before you go and do this.

I had a similar case, where I had imported a camper only to find out that it had a hidden fault and was defective.

So instead of registering it in Ireland, I had to have it sitting in my driveway for months while I battled with the seller to exchange it.

One phonecall to the local VRT office and I had special dispensation off them, not to register it here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I did that, had it at the back of the house for 3 weeks before I drove it, then another 3weeks before I registered it.

Advertisement