Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband connection problem

Options
  • 18-12-2006 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

i have a problem with my adsl service provider (I'm not in ireland but that is totally irrelevant to this problem)

I called the internet service provider who carried out ping tests and all the usual stuff and yes, i am connected, however the only way we can get a page to show up in the browser is by typing the IP number. and then the google page shows up, however once we do a search in google itself there is no access to the links, ir basically the connection doesn't seem to work although i am in theory connected.

one thing that is odd is that the "octets received" part in the properties part of my connection is very slow, they start off at 1,000 and increase very very slowly... yet my provider says the problem is with my computer. We have now entered the DNS number and still haven't resolved the problem.

I had a webcam installed about 2 weeks ago and the CD was faulty so it messed up my computer a little.

should i just reformat my whole computer ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Try booting your pc first in "Safe mode with networking support" and see if that is fast, if so then some software on your pc "i.e. spyware , virus " might be causing the problem.

If this is still slow then it is pointing at the ISP connection, have you another pc to try with the same connection setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

techie wrote:
    Try booting your pc first in "Safe mode with networking support" and see if that is fast, if so then some software on your pc "i.e. spyware , virus " might be causing the problem.

If this is still slow then it is pointing at the ISP connection, have you another pc to try with the same connection setup?

no it is not spyware or a virus
    the problem is due to a driver for a webcam that was not'signed numerically' by windows, ie it was not compatible for security reasons or sth like that.
    so basically my computer has been crashing from time to time in the past two weeks because of this cd. I did uninstall (what i thought) all of the components, but even after reformating my system this morning (i replaced the whole drive), the computer crashed because of this webcam driver problem.

I cannot access internet although i am in theory connected. the only way i can get access is using the IP address, ie a list of numbers. So bascially my access is blocked becuase of this faulty driver.

a friend of mine recommended doing a registry clean to wipe out all traces of the webcam driver (i would have thought reformatting a pc would have done that, no???).
    and when i reinstall windows xp i divide up the disk, ie keep 10 giga for XP and put my files on another drive (not sure if i will have the choice to do this with XP home edition though, there may be default settings)

any other suggestions from anyone? I use my PC and internet connection for work and have already asked three IT guys for their help.... :-(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Get a registry cleaner program and use that first to see if the driver gets detected and wiped off!! If it does then format and install XP again and all should be right with it!!

techie wrote:

the problem is due to a driver for a webcam that was not'signed numerically' by windows, ie it was not compatible for security reasons or sth like that.
    so basically my computer has been crashing from time to time in the past two weeks because of this cd. I did uninstall (what i thought) all of the components, but even after reformating my system this morning (i replaced the whole drive), the computer crashed because of this webcam driver problem.

I cannot access internet although i am in theory connected. the only way i can get access is using the IP address, ie a list of numbers. So bascially my access is blocked becuase of this faulty driver.

a friend of mine recommended doing a registry clean to wipe out all traces of the webcam driver (i would have thought reformatting a pc would have done that, no???).
    and when i reinstall windows xp i divide up the disk, ie keep 10 giga for XP and put my files on another drive (not sure if i will have the choice to do this with XP home edition though, there may be default settings)

any other suggestions from anyone? I use my PC and internet connection for work and have already asked three IT guys for their help.... :-(

techie wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

dban will completely clean wipe your disk.

Advertisement