Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Death Metal Album of all time...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Since i am still on a metal buzz from talking to that clown

Carcass - Necroticism
    Entombed - Clandestine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

hmmm...
    Gojira - From Mars To Sirus
    Opeth - Blackwater Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

buck65 wrote:
    Ok guys just to start a new thread here : will alll death fans vote for their A) Favourite death metal album and B) Runner up , see what we can dig up.

A) Blessed Are the Sick - Morbid Angel
    B) Oceanic - Isis

Oceanic is a great album either way but Isis aren't death metal are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

ok guys relax with the Isis thing!!!
    I will pick another album so...

Terrorizer - World downfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

buck65 wrote:

i have most of them, looking to pick up the ones i dont at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Seems like Morbid Angel and Death are winning.

Yes Karl, by my tally in the clear joint lead is Human by Death and Covenant by Morbid Angel.
    Followed closely by Blessed are the sick, Individual thought patterns, In their darkened shrines, Necrotism, Focus, Winds of Creation.

Was actually a little surprised by some of the placings in the Terrorizer list,
    no problems with Altars at no 1, Deicide at 2? come on its decent but childish I think, I reckon Leprosy is there because of its Influence but its not their best album.
    Delighted to see Mental Funeral in there but surely not no . 9!! when Cause of Death is 29!! and 2 Nile albums is excessive.
    Sepultura shouldnt even be there and if they were it should be Morbid Visions as everything after that was absolutely Thrash.
    Cannibal Corpse at 12!!
    WTF
    anyway end of rant I reckon there is alot of good stuff in that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

buck65 wrote:
    Was actually a little surprised by some of the placings in the Terrorizer list

Ah, lists are always pointless ventures. Nothing is ever definitive, and everyone will disagree.

Just listening to an oldie but Goldie last night- Dreams of the Carrion Kind by Disincarnate l- James Murphy's band and it is fantastic some great stuff on there!!
    See from his website that he underwent eye surgery and has lost feeling in some of his fingers as a side effect temporarily but is due to release a 2nd Disincarnate album this year.
    A great guitarist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Are any of these albums more than 5 years old?

Morbid visions would have to be up there yet it dosent get a mention. :eek:

Morbid Visions is a great death metal record all right, Sepultura definitely became more thrashier in Beneath..onwards.
    Back to your question the frontrunners Morbid Angel and Death are all from the early to mid 90s, as is Athiest, Suffocation, Disincarnate as well as some modern bands Nile Opeth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gabriel

Morbid Angel - Blessed are the sicks
    Deicide -Legion
    :cool:

That makes Blessed are the sick and Covenant by Morbid Angel along with Human by Death as our frontrunners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Obituary 'Slowly we rot'
    Paradise Lost 'lost paradise'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Ok, so here's my two cents!!
    Actually I'm having real problems putting these things in order as I love em all for different reasons. They all represent a much simpler time before kids and mortgages and car trouble!!
    Anyway (wiping away tears).....
    Emtombed - Clandestine
    Carcass - Necroticism....
    Deicide- Legion
    Death - Spiritual Healing
    Terrorizer - World Downfall (technically grind I know but a timeless classic)
    Obituary - Cause of Death
    Dismenber - Like an ever flowing stream
    Napalm Death - Harmony corruption
    Brutal truth - Extreme Conditions.. (see terrorizer)

By the way, anyone going to Brutal truth?? (FEB 8th)

Where are they playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

VooDoo!! Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

To be honest I can't undersand why albums by Deicide and Morbid Angel are regarded as such classics of the genre. I appreciate the fact that they were innovative at the time etc but when i try to listen to it I find it impossible to warm to. Theres no melody to speak of at all. Even the heaviest bands can have melody, however basic, but a band like Deicide just sounds like a drumkit and few guitars getting kicked around a room. I like a song to have one or more of of a few different things - perhaps a great riff or melody, solid musicianship or maybe something new that i havent really heard before.

I now expect a good shouting at!

no need to shout at anyone
    just vote for your favourite death metal albums!
    In fairness it youre looking for melody this might not be the thread...apart from the Swedes like Opeth maybe.

• Advertisement

But even Cannibal corpse have some catchy riffs, I'm not expetcing 'Waterloo' or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Drummo

Den_M wrote:
    But even Cannibal corpse have some catchy riffs, I'm not expetcing 'Waterloo' or anything.

And Deicide don't have any catchy riffs!?!?!

I've heard some of their earlier stuff and gave the Stench of Redemption a good listen when it came out but nothing grabbed me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious
    Sepultura - Beneath the remains.

Beneath the Remains is gonna cause some controversy -"Is it death metal..?"
    Personally I would regard it as thrash, and probably along with Reign in Blood the definitive thrash album.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It has elements of thrash but I would call it death metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

fap fap fap tbh!
    Best death metal album, as in singular? Why do people post more than one? The best of anything is a subjective rating. For me, the best death metal album would be Coprofago's Unorthodox Creative Criteria is the best. Why? Because it's unexpected, well structured, nicely produced and always a great listen.

More than one as he had this runner up thing...

Quite right Tar - a favourite and one runner up

• Advertisement
Advertisement