Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the point of banning ppl?

Options
  • 18-12-2006 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I mean u can just sign up another account takes 10 seconds to do. And its not as if ppl with high postcounts that care about thier postcounts are gonna get banned anyway? Its usually ppl with low postcounts that get banned.. I think all the troll accounts ever on boards are probably from the same handful of ppl so maybe if u make a way to properly verify accounts like a landline number or something it would eliminate trolling completely. Just a thought..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Lorax wrote:
    I mean u can just sign up another account takes 10 seconds to do. And its not as if ppl with high postcounts that care about thier postcounts are gonna get banned anyway? Its usually ppl with low postcounts that get banned.. I think all the troll accounts ever on boards are probably from the same handful of ppl so maybe if u make a way to properly verify accounts like a landline number or something it would eliminate trolling completely. Just a thought..

What is it with you and landline numbers? I think it was you that made a suggestion about anon posts on PI having to be verified by a landline number. This is mad IMO. If it wasn't you I do apologise.

Anyway, mods can see if a new user matches a user that has been banned. Smods and Admins can see their registration details and can try to come up with matches that way, they can also see their IP address. Regular mods cannot see the actual ip but can see if they match another user. It takes less than 10 seconds to ban someone. It takes alot longer to go find a new proxy, sign up, verify and then log in and post. We win, essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Duplicate accounts can be found out and dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Lorax wrote:
    I mean u can just sign up another account takes 10 seconds to do.

Takes a little longer then 10 seconds. Even so it takes even less time to ban and nuke a persons posts. If they keep it up they get site banned. At that point you really want to be trying you could end up getting [wiki]Glenstal[/wiki]'ed.

Of course at this point most idiots haven't thought it through and leave little footprints of who they are. For example.

Doing proxies only solves the issue for the person banned if they stfu and act like a different person, which they rarely do. Point is, most of these people do it for attention and their posts never last more then a day and everyone forgets who they are.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It appears to work as Boards had a lot less muppets then other forum sites.
    It takes more then 10 seconds to make up a new account and less then that to ban it.
    Static IP's represent the online equivalent of telephone numbers so we ban them sometimes.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

But you see Gordon loves to ban teh muppeh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If there was no banning this forum would be ****e etc. That is why.
    Landline?
    What?
    I don't even bother with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

like was mentioned above, new accounts to circumvent bans are easy to find out as they're linked to a phone line. and admins i know, can easily check ip's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

check out the attached picture.
    pay attention to "MacCleary" and MaCleary".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is also the fact that business have had thier ip banned so everyone in the office suffers, colleges have been banned and the poster from those colleges been told who it was that was responsible and we have even had all of Cork banned at one stage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Thaedydal wrote:
    we have even had all of Cork banned at one stage :)

That's probably for the best Thaed!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,700 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hey, hey, Cork FTW!

I always wondered actually what happens if 2 users work from the same computer (family, or houseshare or something) and ones a muppet, is it usually just a case of tough luck on the good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik there has been a few "evil house mate/evil brother/evil twin" defences claiming someone else was using the computer. Usually this excuse does not fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

So, does this mean only one Boardsie per household?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, as long as one is not a twat getting banned over and over, or if proof can be given that it is not you...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

thrill wrote:
    So, does this mean only one Boardsie per household?
    No. There are a few husband/wife and brother or sister combinations that post on boards.
    A problem would only arise if one was a repeat offender and got them both banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

biko wrote:
    Afaik there has been a few "evil house mate/evil brother/evil twin" defences claiming someone else was using the computer. Usually this excuse does not fly.
    IP bans are still a last course of action. Someone would have to be at the peak of muppetry to incur this. At that point, it's tough luck for anyone else using that IP. A lot of the time, IP bans are handed out to companies who get half of their employees to sign up and spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

julep wrote:

You wouldn't be illegally downloading episodes of South Park now would you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

fade2black wrote:
    You wouldn't be illegally downloading episodes of South Park now would you? ;)

Snigger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

How come Talliesin is the only one who puts in entertaining comments on the ban list. It makes for good reading, but some of you mods just don't put the effort in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

but all that time lost being amusing is what has her outside the top 3.

Looking at that list its amazing to see how much work the Smods have taken off the admins shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Charge 5 euro for an account and be done with it :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

humanji wrote:
    How come Talliesin is the only one who puts in entertaining comments on the ban list. It makes for good reading, but some of you mods just don't put the effort in :(
    I got a slap on the nose for being too sarcastic. Now it's just mundane x banned for y.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CuLT wrote:
    I got a slap on the nose for being too sarcastic. Now it's just mundane x banned for y.
    Why thank you. We set up this site just so you could join and put self-serving adverts on every forum. Oh wait, no we didn't. **** off and get some research ethics.

that ban msg made me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

sjones wrote:
    What is it with you and landline numbers? I think it was you that made a suggestion about anon posts on PI having to be verified by a landline number. This is mad IMO. If it wasn't you I do apologise.
    Boards landline craze continues :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

humanji wrote:

After the 400th sitebanning it becomes boring and difficult to come up with something new, fresh and witty.
    I'm open to suggestions, and for a small fee I can post special messages to your love ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

julep wrote:
    In that case he hadn't received his confirmation email yet.
    Rabies wrote:
    No. There are a few husband/wife and brother or sister combinations that post on boards.
    A problem would only arise if one was a repeat offender and got them both banned.
    This is why the partner with the most stars under their nick should be able to spank the other one if she's naughty.
    humanji wrote:
    They just don't have the love.

In fairness, Asok does try, he just isn't as good at it.
    but all that time lost being amusing is what has her outside the top 3.
    The main thing that dropped me from being number 2 after ecksor was a change in schedule. I'm no longer online in the prime Spamming hours (Also, "her"?)

Anyway, what's with this landline idea? Lorax, do you really expect us to call new sign-ups or something? Even if people did it for free that would still be pretty pricey. I don't think many people would be prepared to do that for free, modding's one thing being a phone-centre peon's another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

And who has a landline these days, anyway?

What's next? A suggestion that we receive messages by carrier pidgeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

humanji wrote:
    ahh, Im not the only person who finds reading banlist.php hilarious. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, you're not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    ahh, Im not the only person who finds reading banlist.php hilarious. :)
    it should be stickied in humor

Advertisement