Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rock solid 160KB/sec on Vodafone HSDPA today

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

great

i just relised another advanage- can now use phone and internet at same time if get this.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

As often happens would not be fair for me to comment because of where I work and what we will be doing this year but related read here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055047658&page=2

3G is good but has many limitations in particular when mobile (cell breathing as mentioned and doppler also). I guess it is what is best for MANY people as opposed to ALL people and I think to be fair the the mobile operators, they dont cliam it is a pill for every ill.

1.8 - 2.1Ghz is also a tad too high for good indoor coverage - see my previous comments on 3.5Ghz kit on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Damn but that vodafone service appears to have gone to hell alright. We're just outside Portlaoise with clear LOS to the mast, using the Linksys router. No connection at all. Last few nights speeds were around 59k (according to irishisptest website). Rang voda support this morning and they told us we weren't in a 3g area!!!!! Which we've had for months, router stats indicate a "good" 3G signal when it does work (throughput is crap though), and we have had 200+kbps in the past.

Why do they have muppets like that who don't know anything in their data support centre?

Is 3s service any better as we may just ditch the vodafone one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paulm1

Hi guys

I have been having that problem since November and was on to level 1 support back then who informed me that they were haveing a problem on the 3g side of things and for now they were re-booting their server every SUnday evening which was solving the problems for a couple of days. (I would say for a couple of hours !!) Anyway they did tell me that they were rolling out upgrades to all the cells and this should solve the problem of the packet data loss. I was also told that it should have happened in Mid January. Looks like I will be getting back on to them today. I might even try and get a direct dial number to someone and post it here later for ye all.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

paulm1 wrote:
    I might even try and get a direct dial number to someone and post it here later for ye all.
    I wouldn't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

This is directed at anyone with the Linksys router. I moved the router upstairs last night to a window facing the mast and received an "excellent" 3G signal (was getting good GPRS downstairs, sometimes Fair 3G). However, the service was described by the router as "Limited Service" even though the signal was "Excellent".

Any idea what this means?

BTW, I also upgraded the router firmware to 2.00.22

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Hi Guys, I have had a vodafone 3G usb modem supplied by work on test at home now for about 2 weeks. Where I live I can only get a 4 or 5 bar GPRS signal. Vodafone say that this is supposed to be equivalent to dial up. No way in my opinion. The problem is as described by bugler above - gross inconsistency - I have seen speeds from 0 to 60 kbps but nothing consistent.
    Totally useless in my opinion! I might try and move my laptop around a bit at home tonight to see if that helps. By way I was using it to log into work using a secure citrix connection (which works well at 40 kbps dialup) but on one occasion everything just locked up completely and i ended up having to use the dialup connection to close my citrix session.

I would recommend caution to anyone wanting to use this Vodafone service in lieu of proper broadband, although i see on another thread that mcaul has had,great success with it and he's not far from me (Kildoon Nurney area, Co Kildare). I suspect that it really comes down to how many other users you are sharing the cell with, but please note that I did test it very early in the morning but got the same poor results. As 3 have less subscribers maybe thats the way to go!

Cheers,
    Zugvogel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fergus Cassidy

I've been using Vodafone USB modem since before Christmas. 3G signal but generally only got ISDN-type speeds. I'm in west Wicklow and have Intel Mac.

Last Friday, I looked at the software support site you mentioned clohamon. Saw there was upgrade from 2.05.00 to 2.05.02, dated 8 Feb last.

Looked like a very minor change and at 15mb I wasn't going to bother. But I did. Restarted my machine and boom HSDPA!

Recommend regularly checking for new software.

One other thing. The connection can be 'bursty', so I have streaming radio running all the time in the background, which helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Yep, it works. GPRS only at home in Westmeath, but very good 5 bars 3G in Castlepollard.

So its goodbye Eircom net and probably the landline with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Hi Clohamon,
    I'm glad it worked out for you. I suspect that in your area(s) there isn't much problem with contention/number of users . I'm now testing a Three data card and although I get a poor signal its works fairly well (although Three do seem to have problems with their network). Even with a solid 3G signal the service from any provider can be piss poor - all depends on how many people your sharing the cell with I presume. Anyway best of luck with it.

Zug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭anto_obrien

Hi.

my mobile connect card worked fine for ages...

My friends PC crashed, and he needed to save his data.

I slaved up the IDE HDD to my laptop.

After that, I kept getting ERROR 619.

I didnt know what was going on and checked everything.

Apparently. If you introduce another Operating System (Even SLAVED!) this will knock off your mobile connect settings, and vodafone will need to reset everything for you when you CALL them

hope this helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I don't think so.

Advertisement