Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How white is too white

• 18-12-2006 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭

Lot of people want whiter and whiter teeth....hey I like white teeth however you can take it a bit far....here are some I found on the net where a school in Las Vagas does big jos for people like this

bna_19_pre1.jpgbna_19_post1.jpg
    bna_18_pre1.jpgbna_18_post1.jpg

Yikes:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

no doubt one could also ask how long is too long. i read larry rosenthals associate giving an interview to a newspaper about veneers, saying that frankly the demand for big teeth was crazy, people want them longer and longer and he said it looked ridiculous, and how dentists should educate patients:D
    theres natural and then unnatural, i think A1 looks fantastic on anteriors but the new whiter shades look fake.
    no doubt that is lvi in las vegas who do neuromuscular dentistry and opened the bite by looks of it 6mm+ on the lower. looks mad but there you go:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yes lomb agrees...although would not trust a word rosenthal says. Bigger...longer...whiter...thats what people seem to want. Yes well spotted this is LVI. myomonitor neuromuscular technique is such a load of BS I can hardly type it in without bursting in a fit of laughter...but hey they look happy in the after shots. (P.S. Lomb check your PM'S)

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I agree. I find even B1 and A1 can be slightly bright, but at least they are natural shades. The brighter the shade, the less the eye can determine contour, so these jobs look like a hoof denture, which any of us could do for a fraction of the price!

Longer teeth actually make people look older, even though some dentists think that by opening the bite, the tissues of the face will sag less and so reduce the appearance of wrinkles (I sound like a face cream ad), and therefore reduce the apparent age of the patient (which is true), overcorrecting the length of the teeth has the opposite effect. There is a fine balance needed. There is more than idiom to the saying 'long in the tooth'.

I was at Ray Bertolloti's lecture a couple of months ago (the eminent 'bondodontist') who advocated the use of a Kois Discluder which is a very simple device to open bites. He said he then does partial coverage posteriorly as needed with anterior veneering. Simple and apparently effective. While I am somewhat skeptical of his claims (he says 16000 veneers with only one debond - and that was after 14 years in the mouth, and he guarantees his veneers for 10 years), I wouldn't mind giving some of the things he was talking about a lash. There were some impressive results. He's heavily critical of LVI btw and neuromuscular dentistry.

Dentistry is a fine balance of art and science. Nowhere is this more apparent than in these full mouth rehab cases. I'd say a good lab saves your ass more often than not. And not using ridiculous shades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

i think americans like to have fake white teeth. it gives them the 'edge' ,when everyone else has white teeth they want to get ahead by making them bigger and whiter , america is an open air lunatic asylum i think lol:D

Advertisement