Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Voluntary Contributions - how much?

Options
  • 18-12-2006 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Our primary school is asking parents for a voluntary contribution which I know is common practice. What I don't know cos most parents don't really discuss it is what's the 'norm' in terms of contribution? Any views anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

100 in my marist,secondary school dundalk i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think it varies from school to school. Our national school doesn't do this but the secondary school asks for 60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My childrens primary school don't ask for contributions apart from €7.50 for photocopying and art materials.

I've had parents of children in secondary school inform me that every family HAS to pay €250 VOLUNTARY contributions. I think someone somewhere doesn't understand the meaning of voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Agreed, deisemum. I never paid a voluntary contribution when I was told it was expected. If you are paying it, then pay what you can afford. That's the whole idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

If the school is asking for a certain minimum amount then surly it's because they need it. I'd have no problem paying it but then taking up the issue (of why the school needs it) with local politicians. I agree that people should pay what they can afford if they are of limited means but if they can afford it and are just not paying it (using the argument that it's voluntary), then they better not be complaining when their kids freeze in school. In summary, pay the recommended minimum amount, keep the kids in heat, light, paper and whatever else is NEEDED, then tackle the issue with politicians, media etc until the time comes when our schools are no longer forced to look for 'voluntary contributions'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Voluntary is voluntary. Give what you feel you can afford or want. If money is tight, then give nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask them is there a suggested amount or a target for the whole school.

Advertisement