Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting IBB

Options
  • 18-12-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Now, before I'm torn into, I have some good reasons.

First off, I don't have a lot of money or room and I'm just moving into a new place. I need broadband as soon as I can get it.

I am considering getting Ripwave because I honestly don't *need* broadband, just something that's notably faster than dialup. I do download loads of huge files, but I spend so long out at college that I can just leave it on to download.

The fact that I don't need to stick a huge aerial outside my rented accomodation is a huge plus. I also know my area is covered.

From what I hear, IBB has been just about good enough for some people to play games online. Though I am a gamer I don't intend to do much more than the odd game of Unreal Tournament and downloadin' Virtual Console games as online gaming just doesn't appeal to me.

I am not expecting blistering speeds with Ripwave. I'm expecting around 24 kbps downloads and 12 kpbs uploads but I'm hoping to get a bit more. I'm fully expecting that at times, it will not work as it should and I do intend to complain very vehemently when it does.

I live near UCC so if it's down it's not a big deal for me, I can always head down to college if it's during the day and play Wii all night if it's not.

However, for around 18 euros a month it's a great deal for me. The next option up is a full 40 euros and I don't have that money right now. IBB is also convenient as I know I can, after some amount of hassle, terminate the contract when prices of other companies fall and/or I have more money to spend.

I saw that in Eason's they had literal "Broadband in a box" you could buy - I thought there was no set up fee though? It cost over a hundred. What do I get in that pack, and why are there two different ones? Hopefully with it being available as a product at retail they'll have to get their act together a bit more.

What else should I expect? Any other advice. I just intend to try this out for the minimum contract period(6 months isn't it? Do they still have one?) before upgrading.

For people with Ripwave; what kind of download speeds do you normally get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 9onRichterScale

Anything man, but not IBB!! They are PURE crap! Remember what I said!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Anything man, but not IBB!! They are PURE crap! Remember what I said!

Could you be a bit more specific on that?! The only bad thing I heard about them is major slowdown at peak times - which is bad enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IBB have three quite different services.
    1) Ripwave & Ripwave+ is approximately ISDN replacement
    2) Breeze almost alternative to adsl
    3) The other service (I don't know what they call it) is for business use and expensive, it is a wireless alternative to a leased line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm on IBB and they are quite good at the moment in Maynooth. I don't really use it during peak times I guess except once or twice when it was 80KB/s but for the vast majority of the time, I get 240KB/s on a 2Mbps up/down line.

3 of us in our house use it with a Linksys WRT54GS router and have had no problems at all since we switched to this router from the old Belkin piece of crap.

Advertisement