Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannavaro gets Fifa World Player of the Year award.

• 18-12-2006 10:03pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Italy's World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro has been named Fifa World Player of the Year.

The award polls votes from national team coaches and captains and Cannavaro beat three-time winner Zinedine Zidane and reigning champion Ronaldinho.

Real Madrid central defender Cannavaro was crowned European Footballer of the Year in November.

"For me it's a great honour for me to be here, because it has been an incredible season," said Cannavaro.

He added: "The competition is scary, so strong. It's not usual for a defender to sit between Ronaldinho and Zidane.

"Of course it must be a great compliment for the coaches I've had this year.

"It also underscores the way I am playing - and look at the matches we are playing in the teams I've had, and at Real.

"I can't ask for anything else, with the World Cup and Golden Ball award - you can't do any better than that."

link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well, maybe not at Real, but a deserved win nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sent off at the weekend, very harshly though as the ball hit his head and was adjudged to have hit his arm. He was very upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

He definatly deserved it - he was the driving force behind Italy winning the World Cup. Also he was very solid for Juve last year and at Madrid he has been doing fine.

If Italy were without Cannavaro this Summer, they wouldn't have won the World Cup - its as simple as that. He was that important to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kojak wrote:
    He definatly deserved it - he was the driving force behind Italy winning the World Cup. Also he was very solid for Juve last year and at Madrid he has been doing fine.

Any report I have heard said that he had a very indifferent season with Juve last season. He had a great World Cup but this award should be based on an entire season not just the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

who was that idiot presenting these awards. she was all over the place. probably hasnt seen a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kingp35 wrote:
    Any report I have heard said that he had a very indifferent season with Juve last season. He had a great World Cup but this award should be based on an entire season not just the World Cup.

It cant have been too bad though, since they won the league. (prior to the inter default)

Winning things seems to be very important in these awards, which isnt necessarily fair as you need a great team to win, while a superior player at a lesser club might not have the chance for the rewards they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Not sure if he deserved to win this (not sure else who did either to be honest, no-one has stood out over the last 12 months) but you have to say what a year it's been for him. Serie A winner, World Cup winner, Ballon D'Or winner, World Player Of The Year winner. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kingp35 wrote:
    Seriously? Every Juve fan I've read commenting on him rated him as probably their best player, certainly up there.

I had Cannavaro backed at 9/4 and I was very confident of him winning because the odds were only going one way. I thought he'd win by a bigger margin though when I seen who the top 3 were.

Robbie Keane voted for 1. Ronaldinho 2. Kaka 3. Gerrard
    Stan voted for Riquelme, Deco and Henry.
    Cannavaro voted for 2 of his old teammates, Thuram and Vieira.
    Eider Gudjohnsen was allowed to vote for Ronaldinho somehow.

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/awards/gala/0,2418,128156,00.html?articleid=128156

Advertisement