Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking / the mind wandering, just before going asleep

Options
  • 18-12-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

As you put your book down / turn off the radio and switch off the light, what do you think off before going asleep?
    Do you think of the day just gone? The day that awaits? Things that bother you? Or is it all just random / bits of everything?
    Personally, I find this time very awkward, as I'm a very heavy thinker and find it hard to sleep without being mentally occupied. Unless I'm in a very happy (or drunk) state, my mind can tend to wander and dwell on bad past experiences or just annoyances. For instance, I usually find it easier to sleep with a talk radio station on (in one headphone ear and left on), so I've something to focus on. Sure, after a few scoops or a long long day, I'd be out in a flash, but during a normal day, I'd find I nearly need this routine.
    Anyone have a similar routine or comment to add?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I think about someone special most often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Lot's of stuff runs through my mind before I fall asleep. I actually like it a lot, the time to just lie there and let your mind wander where it will.

Sometimes I think about whatever project I'm working on, sometimes about someone special. Rarely would I think about anything unpleasant or depressing these days, although that has been the case in the past. I think I've just been in a good, calm state of mind recently.

Only bad thing about it is that it can keep me awake half the night. I'd often be waking myself up to grab a notepad and pen to jott down the amazing personal revelations I've just made. More times than not, the revelations don't seem so amazing when the morning finally comes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Mostly work and how its taking over my life... I don't like it, the taking over life part, the works grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I'm the same as you whiskeyman. I usually stay awake thinking of days gone by and what's to come. I usually don't mind it, but if I need to be early it can irritate me. Although a little drink puts me right to sleep:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Have been really busy lately so I'm thinking about what I have done and how much more I still have to do. But I normally would think about bad past experiences(same as whiskeyman), which usually keeps me awake so I listen to something like Damien Rice to help me get to sleep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement