Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alcohol limit slashed from 80 to 20mgs?

Options
  • 18-12-2006 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

In today's Independant:

MOVES are under way to cut our drink-driving alcohol limit. The current level of 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood could be slashed to as low 20mg/100ml.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/

Now to be honest, I pretty incensed about this...
    I don't drink/drive, never have. It costs me €18 to get a taxi home to the sticks - I don't mind that. But if the limit is to be cut to a quarter of the current limit then how safe are you driving 10-12 even 14 hours later?? And what about drinking a glass or two of wine in the evening & getting up to drive the next morning?

The real bummer is some poor sod who has done everything right and gets breathalysed the following day is treated exactly the same as the genuinely drunk, vodka-sozzled speedster. That could put a lot of law abiding citizens the wrong side of the law in a life-changing situation.

As I see it the current limit is sufficent if enforced rigorously. But the politicans need to be seen to be 'taking action'.

And while I'm on the subject, I see that epitomy of reasoned thinking and balanced debate - Charlie Bird - is up to his old bandwagon-jumping tricks again. What's the journalistic eqivalant of an 'ambulance-chaser'?

http://www.rte.ie/news/features/roadsafety/webchat.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Agree.

This is a typical Martin Cullen idea. I suspect it is one he came up with in the pub, just before his garda driver brought him home at our expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

pburns wrote:
    The real bummer is some poor sod who has done everything right and gets breathalysed the following day is treated exactly the same as the genuinely drunk, vodka-sozzled speedster. That could put a lot of law abiding citizens the wrong side of the law in a life-changing situation.

Well you are the same if you're over the limit

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

If they really wanted to stamp it out, they could provide free taxis after 1am. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are you? One day you're a law abiding citizen well under the limit, the next day due only to a change in the law you suddenly become an alcohol crazed baby murderer .. how does that work? It's a similar thing to when the speed limits were changed .. one day you could drive along a road quite legally at 60mph, and the next day you're a social outcast for doing exactly the same speed on the very same road .. nothing else has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

pburns wrote:
    ...some poor sod who has done everything right and gets breathalysed the following day is treated exactly the same as the genuinely drunk, vodka-sozzled speedster

That kind of black/white thinking drives me nuts!

How can someone genuinely drunk behind the wheel of a car coming home from the pub be 'the same' as someone 12 hrs later after perhaps a sleep, meal & shower who only TECHNICALLY has residues of alcohol still in the blood (particularly if we are talking about this ridiculous 20mg proposal)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Can someone of a legal persuasion clarify if it's (as Crowdedhouse suggests above) an all-or-nothing situation? I.e. is the offence being just over the limit, or is the degree of how much you are over the limit taken into consideration in court? i.e. will someone with 81g/ml get treated the same as someone with 181g/ml?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yakuza wrote:
    Can someone of a legal persuasion clarify if it's (as Crowdedhouse suggests above) an all-or-nothing situation? I.e. is the offence being just over the limit, or is the degree of how much you are over the limit taken into consideration in court? i.e. will someone with 81g/ml get treated the same as someone with 181g/ml?

No; fortunately it's not like speeding where 5km/hr over the limit earns you the same number of points as 40km/hr over the limit. Being just over 0.8g/l will get you a 3 month driving ban. The more you're over, the longer the driving ban you get and you can get prison time on top of that.

I'm in favour of a reduction on the limit as 0.8g/l is quite high, although I hope they reduce the minimum driving ban if they're reducing the legal alcohol limit.

Personally I think the legal limit should be 0.5g/l like most European states.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is ridiculous IMHO especially as the current law is so often flouted.
    Half of those convicted are twice over the 80mg limit, so if lots of people don't give a damn about the current limit why should they care about a reduced one?

It's like saying that because a few people are causing accidents by driving at 200km/h we're going to reduce the motorway speed limit to 60km/h.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote:
    It's like saying that because a few people are causing accidents by driving at 200km/h we're going to reduce the motorway speed limit to 60km/h.

Ssh, you don't know who'd be reading ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pburns wrote:
    And what about drinking a glass or two of wine in the evening & getting up to drive the next morning?

Unless you weigh literally half a stone, you'll be fine the next day.

Why do people think that they are ok to drive hung over yet they wouldnt attempt other things? People will regularly ring in sick to work /cry off from a football match when suffering from hangovers but feel they are harshly done by when over the limit the following day. Whats the differences between driving straight after 2 pints and having (made up amounts) 80mg alcohol in you system and driving the mornign after having 8 pints and still having 80mg alcohol in your system?
    ninja900 wrote:
    This is ridiculous IMHO especially as the current law is so often flouted.
    Half of those convicted are twice over the 80mg limit, so if lots of people don't give a damn about the current limit why should they care about a reduced one?.

In fairness theres not much you can do about people who wont obey laws till they are caught, all you can do is make laws and hope they get caught if they break them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pburns wrote:
    If someone is still over the limit the following day then they had a lot to drink the night before and should therefore be wary of whether they will be over the limit the following day - its not going to be a surprise to them!
    pburns wrote:
    That kind of black/white thinking drives me nuts!

How can someone genuinely drunk behind the wheel of a car coming home from the pub be 'the same' as someone 12 hrs later after perhaps a sleep, meal & shower who only TECHNICALLY has residues of alcohol still in the blood (particularly if we are talking about this ridiculous 20mg proposal)?
    On average, after drinking on an empty stomach, the average person will lose 1/2 pint worth of alcohol per hour (I heard some expert on the wireless today). So if someone is still over the limit 12 hours later then they really had a skinful the night before.

I had a drink last Thursday (well actually a kegload!) at the office party. For various reasons I had not had a pint since July. I had been out several times but managed to still have a good night without drinking. People *think* they need alcohol to have a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sweden has had 20 for some years, basicly its so you can eat sherry triffle at Crimbo! I don't have much problem with this as such but it'll only be of any use if its enforced.

We all know Zero intake is the only way.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

This is the only good idea ever to come out of Martin Cullen. A glass of wine with dinner is all well and good but two glasses with dinner the night before if taken eith dinner are not going to put you over the limit.

I think someone who has an issue with this should go and get some alcohol addiction counselling rather than get incensed with a government that is trying to combat as many problems as this country has.

I was out saturday night and got home around 3.. I got my dad to drive me to work. While a little inconvenient, it was only common sense that I shouldn't drive even though there were no signs of a hangover or sickness, I still had booze in my blood.

Don't drink and drive is the message and this is the cavalry starting to come and back it up...next we'll see more cops where they should be and then we'll get a proper driver education system...all too late, but then again, how many Irish people do you know that turn up on time???????

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ninty9er wrote:
    This is the only good idea ever to come out of Martin Cullen.
    Nope, we're still waiting
    I think someone who has an issue with this should go and get some alcohol addiction counselling rather than get incensed with a government that is trying to combat as many problems as this country has.
    This is a ridiculous comment.
    Some people will be over a 20mg limit with a half pint of beer, do they need addiction counselling?
    IF this reduction in the limit was indeed solving a problem I'd be in favour of it.
    It's not, it's simply PR and window dressing.
    Are the 21-79mg drivers really a problem anyway? How many accidents would they cause over and above 20mg drivers?
    We still have a huge problem with 150mg+ drivers, why don't we concentrate on enforcing the existing law?
    I was out saturday night and got home around 3.. I got my dad to drive me to work. While a little inconvenient, it was only common sense that I shouldn't drive even though there were no signs of a hangover or sickness, I still had booze in my blood.
    If you were out drinking til 3am it's quite possible you were still well over 80mg 5 hours later going to work. So changing the limit would have made no difference.
    Don't drink and drive is the message
    I agree but the idea that a mouthful of shandy turns one into a homicidal maniac is plainly ridiculous and the public will not accept the message that 20mg is dangerous - FFS many of them won't accept that 150mg is dangerous.
    This risks bringing the whole anti-drink-driving message into ridicule.

We already know that talking on a phone is comparable to driving at 80mg, but it's widespread and acceptable. Just the other day the RSA had a PR saying that tiredness was as bad as being drunk. Why would we ignore these (admittedly harder to enforce) issues but hit the one-pint drinker? Because, like speeding, a machine spits out a figure and you're illegal, no debating the Garda's opinion in court. Easy money and good PR.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ninja900 wrote:
    Nope, we're still waiting.

You might be, but most of us agree that this is a good thing.

ninja900 wrote:
    This is a ridiculous comment.
    Some people will be over a 20mg limit with a half pint of beer, do they need addiction counselling?.

Why drink at all if you know you are driving?
    ninja900 wrote:
    If you were out drinking til 3am it's quite possible you were still well over 80mg 5 hours later going to work. So changing the limit would have made no difference.

If your not responsible enough to make sure you dont drink and drive by "accident" you shouldnt be driving at all.
    ninja900 wrote:
    I agree but the idea that a mouthful of shandy turns one into a homicidal maniac is plainly ridiculous and the public will not accept the message that 20mg is dangerous - FFS many of them won't accept that 150mg is dangerous.
    This risks bringing the whole anti-drink-driving message into ridicule..

So who gets to say what the level should be set at? Oh thats right, the people we elect.

Again why risk it by drinking at all if you are driving?
    ninja900 wrote:
    We already know that talking on a phone is comparable to driving at 80mg, but it's widespread and acceptable..

No it isnt, it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even if you feel fine or a bit tired the next morning you're still not as good a driver as you are sober. What if you hurt someone, would you be able to forgive yourself?

Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content#Limits_by_country_.28BAC:_Blood_Alcohol_Content.29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Stekelly wrote:
    Why drink at all if you know you are driving?
    Well is one glass of wine with dinner really so bad? Or a bit of Xmas sherry trifle?
    Or maybe we shouldn't be going out for dinner...couldn't we all stay in and cook?
    Stekelly wrote:
    ninja900 wrote:
    We already know that talking on a phone is comparable to driving at 80mg, but it's widespread and acceptable..
    Legality and acceptability are not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Is this tactic not another diversion stunt by our wonderful government by hiding the real problem of bad roads. I don't agree with drink driving but I feel that all this scare tactics are not going to reduce the deaths on the roads just like the introduction of penalty points which hasn't changed things. To avoid points you simply have to avoid speeding on relativly safe 2 or 3 lane roads during off peak times times in daylight hours

Has anybody any figures on the death toll in this country related to drink driving I am curious if it's different from speeding related deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

endplate wrote:
    I don't agree with drink driving but I feel that all this scare tactics are not going to reduce the deaths on the roads just like the introduction of penalty points which hasn't changed things.

It will just scare people who live in the coutryside into being teetotalers!

I rarely drink, not to mind drink and drive, but this crusade is going too far. Most people who obey the law are scared sh1tless already by random breah testing. Those that flout the law don't care what the limit is, not to mind whether or not it should be reduced.

Should we really punish those who obey the law by forcing them to get a taxi to half 12 mass on a sunday for fear of being caught, even though they only had a couple of pints the night before and probably have no alcohol in their system anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As I understand it, the suggested 20mg limit is targeted at specific users, bus & HGV drivers, new drivers, etc.
    endplate wrote:
    Is this tactic not another diversion stunt by our wonderful government by hiding the real problem of bad roads.
    If the road is bad, adjust your behavior to suit.
    Has anybody any figures on the death toll in this country related to drink driving I am curious if it's different from speeding related deaths?
    http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Link_Between_Alcohol_and_Road_Deaths.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

At the end of the day whether people agree with the proposed new limit or not, I really can't see how it will save even one life. Maybe it will, and if so it's worth it. But I still reckon if they halved the number of laws and double the effort enforcing the remaining half we'd be better off overall. And get rid of half the judges aswell.
    Introducing new laws just looks like you're making an effort, it doesn't mean that you are making an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Biro wrote:
    I really can't see how it will save even one life.
    Did you bother to look at my link? 7% of drivers killed have BALs of 20-80.

Alcohol kills more people on Monday than Saturday.

Fair enough, I didn't look at the link, but point taken. Anyway, I do agree fully with the big efforts to reduce drink driving. But why should drug driving problems be left ignored? And why aren't there speed traps at 3am? And why aren't they breathalising outside remote pubs/niteclubs?

Biro wrote:
    But why should drug driving problems be left ignored?

Drug driving is illegal but how do you test for it?

Would a blood test not show that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Stekelly wrote:
    [sarcasm]indeed. its illegal and therefore nobody does it and its completely socially stigmatised. just like cannabis. i've never met anyone that does that because its illegal[/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Biro wrote:
    Would a blood test not show that up?
    it would but the gardai don't carry around blood testing laboratories in their cars. the portable breath testers give them cause to arrest someone but if they just suspect someone is on drugs and a blood test back at the station says they're not they can be done for wrongful arrest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote:
    As I understand it, the suggested 20mg limit is targeted at specific users, bus & HGV drivers, new drivers, etc.

That pretty much confirms the suspicions that this is nothing more than a cynical publicity stunt.

I would be in favour of a blanket 20mg limit but to target professional drivers and learners in isolation is nothing more than a vote whoring exercise. Appear to be getting tough without angering the regular middle aged voter who likes a few pints before driving home.

Is there any evidence to suggest that these groups are of higher risk than the general driving population? Somehow I doubt it, all the statistics I have seen show that drink driving is a bigger problem with the 35+ group than with learners.

In my experience most professional drivers are far more cautious about drink driving than the average driver, the penalties for getting done are too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't see why Gardaí can't be trained to take blood the same way as the people in the Blood Bank and have a testing machine in the patrol car....If they're trained there coulod be no objection to them doing it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Victor wrote:
    Did you bother to look at my link? 7% of drivers killed have BALs of 20-80.

Alcohol kills more people on Monday than Saturday.

Thats a misleading figure.

32% had ZERO alcohol, 2% between 1-19(4 drivers), 3% between 20-49(6 drivers), 4% between 50-79(8 drivers), and higher over 80.
    It does not say if alcohol was primary factor in their deaths, it just gives an alcohol level, ie..they were not drunk enough to affect judgement in accidents..

Going lower than 50mg is ridiculous and will have no affect on RTA's, have a look at the affect on relative accident risk at http://www.80mg.org.uk/danger.html

Advertisement