Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alcohol limit slashed from 80 to 20mgs?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buttonfreak

In almost Every European country the legal limit is lower then here in Ireland. In almost every European country people think it's bad to drink and drive. Not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Sorry but that calculation is annoying me. Ok, 4 pints of Stella, finish at midnight.

If you metabolise one pint every two hours and you moderate your intake to one pint per hour, assuming you started drinking at 8 pm. You would be alcohol free by 5 am (allowing one extra hour for absorption) with a very reasonable safety margin if you start driving at 8 am.

4 pints X 2 hr metabolism + 1 hr absorption = 9 hrs

Obviously if you glug the pints down in the space of 30 min then you will still have alcohol in your blood by 8 am.

To assume that metabolism decides to wait until the end would be incorrect. Now I haven't examined in depth kinetics and saturation of liver enzymes, or the effect of body mass etc. but I think this calculation would be more accurate. While I believe everybody needs to be aware and informed I think over the top scaremongering is unnecessary.

(Edit: Gurramok you're right, I assumed it was 4 - 4.2%. I didn't realise Stella is 5.2%.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Jumpy wrote:
    If it is in your blood at a high level then it will have the same effects as it would the night before. Your reactions are impaired to the same level.

Judging by the muppet style driving in Cork today by nutcases going about christmas shopping I'd say I could do better than a lot of them after 15 pints and few throws of whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sarn wrote:
    Sorry but that calculation is annoying me. Ok, 4 pints of Stella, finish at midnight.

If you metabolise one pint every two hours and you moderate your intake to one pint per hour, assuming you started drinking at 8 pm. You would be alcohol free by 5 am (allowing one extra hour for absorption) with a very reasonable safety margin if you start driving at 8 am.

Obviously if you glug the pints down in the space of 30 min then you will still have alcohol in your blood by 8 am.

To assume that metabolism decides to wait until the end would be incorrect. Now I haven't examined in depth kinetics and saturation of liver enzymes, or the effect of body mass etc. but I think this calculation would be more accurate. While I believe everybody needs to be aware and informed I think over the top scaremongering is unnecessary.

There's a fault in your calculation!

Stella is 5.2% beer so add another couple hours. The stronger the beer is the more ime is needed for the alcohol to leave your body.
    Your calculation would be correct for moderate or weakened beer(guinness etc) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Sarn wrote:

though i thought it only starts absorbing properly when you've stopped drinking.

so if thats true, it doesnt start until 12, so would be 9AM until you can drive :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement