Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB key not working - suggestions needed

Options
  • 18-12-2006 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

My USB key isn't working. When I plug it in a Microsoft bubble appears, telling me that the device is unrecognisable and has malfunctioned. When I look up the properties it says that the drivers are not installed. Is my key broken or how do I go about getting the driver. I didn't get it with it as XP doesn't need it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Normally you don't need drivers for USB keys in XP (only for the likes of Win98).

Either the hardware on the usb has suffered something like a static shock or something tramautic along those lines.

Or the usb port has something wrong, can you try the key on another PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

I think I had a similar problem once and it was due to a drive letter conflict. Somewhere in disk management you can assign it a new letter if this is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

is your key U3 enabled by any chance? i had same problem with mine before when trying to use in the college labs and it was cos the college wont allow U3 enabled usb key to work on them. duno why or how but that was the reason. someone else mite be able to shed more light on this if that is the reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What version of Windows do you have? Try in another machine and see if you get any further.

Advertisement