Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting motor tax for first time on 2nd hand car

Options
  • 18-12-2006 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I am trying to tax a second hand car that I recently bought but I can't work out what I need to do.

I bought a car from garage and have now received new registration certificate in the post today. I seem to need a pin number to register online (I assume that I will be sent a pin after I first tax car). Do I send this in the post or have to go to tax office. What else do I need ? Sorry I just can't work out what I have to do to get tax disc. :o
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If you ring the motor-tax office they will give you a PIN number if you haven't got one already, as far as I know.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I dont think they can give you a PIN over the phone. Call them and they will post it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

If the tax has not already expired, you dont need to worry, you already have your registration, you will be notified about two weeks before the tax is up to renew it, and the PIN will be with your notification. thats how it was for me anyway. once you renew online, the new disc will be posted to you within days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

No disc with the car funnily enough , bought from dealer. Leaving pins and internet aside surely this is a basic enough question. I just dont have time to go to Tax office to get it sorted or to ask but would gladly download and mail in. Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You can post it in as well. Give them a call about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

more than likely if there is no disc in the car then the tax is out for a while. I think you have to tax it the old fashioned way this time. you aren't liable for any tax from before you signed the change of ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

colm_mcm wrote:
    more than likely if there is no disc in the car then the tax is out for a while. I think you have to tax it the old fashioned way this time. you aren't liable for any tax from before you signed the change of ownership

Correct.

Had to do the same myself last month after buying a car with no tax on it. You'll be sent a PIN at renewal time though.

Point worth noting that somebody pointed out to me, if you would normally tax your car for a full year it may be worth just going for 3 or 6 months this time. Do you really want all the expense of Xmas and the car tax to be paid at this time of year?

Advertisement