Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting my two wireless routers

• 18-12-2006 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I just got my FON wireless router (thanks boards and fon!). I am thinking about how I can enhance my existing wireless network with this shiney new plaything, and wondered if I can connect this wireless router to my existing one wirelessly ? The goal would be to extend the wireless network in my house, and have the option to hang a NAS off the Fon router which could be located in a better location to where the other one is right now.

The option of wiring the two together, which would be simple to configure, is not a possibility due to the distance between the two in their ideal locations.

I've seen some stuff from googling but since I have some specific questions about connecting two particular devices - my Netgear DG824G and my Fon router, I thought I'd ask here.

Any ideurs ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Had a look on the netgear website but cant find the specs for Netgear DG824G. Some wireless modems can be used in extender mode which basically means it extends your wireless range. However the FON modem should be good enough for a reasonable signal in most average houses. As I cant find any info on using it as an extender on Google for that model Netgear DG824G I am assuming it cant be used as one. However you may like to try yourself pn some other search engine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The FON router does not look like you could set it up to extend your existing wireless, but the signal from it seems to have a better range than I get from my existing Netgear router. You may be able to link it with the existing network wirelessly with an ethernet bridge but you would then have to connect to the other FON private network when your out of range of your main one which seem like it would be a bit too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I have connected two of my wireless routers using a bridge. Had some hassle setting it all up. See for yourself: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055008449. It works very well since I moved the metal lamp away from the bridge to make way for a Christmas decoration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe I'll just try the fon on its own, but it would be a pity to give up the Netgear - I really like the admin interface and how easy it is to configure as well as its features - built-in dynamic dns being one of the killer ones as far as I'm concerned.

I'll see how I go.

Thanks again.

Advertisement