Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Ripwave "In a Box"

Options
  • 18-12-2006 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

In Easons they were selling Ripwave in a box for about E120.

What do you get for that? I presume that must basically be the 6 month minimum contract paid for? It not, why are they charging for it? Can I return it if it doesn't work?

I'm moving house tomorrow, I won't have net access and ideally if I could but that and plug it in it would be fine. I can't afford anything more than Ripwave really and I can make do with ISDN speeds as it's what I'm used to at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Rozie wrote:
    In Easons they were selling Ripwave in a box for about E120.

What do you get for that? I presume that must basically be the 6 month minimum contract paid for? It not, why are they charging for it? Can I return it if it doesn't work?

I'm moving house tomorrow, I won't have net access and ideally if I could but that and plug it in it would be fine. I can't afford anything more than Ripwave really and I can make do with ISDN speeds as it's what I'm used to at home.
    carphone warehouse does it for 75. pays for the first 4 months and after that its €18.95 a month. but i wouldn't get it if i were you it, its too unreliable. if you want something cheap you can get eircom time for €19.99 and i'm sure there's something cheaper out there that i cba looking up

edit: bt does always on 1MB for 20 a month or 1MB with landline calls bundled for 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

carphone warehouse does it for 75. pays for the first 4 months and after that its €18.95 a month. but i wouldn't get it if i were you it, its too unreliable. if you want something cheap you can get eircom time for €19.99 and i'm sure there's something cheaper out there that i cba looking up

edit: bt does always on 1MB for 20 a month or 1MB with landline calls bundled for 35

I can't get a Phoneline in or else I wouldn't be bothering with this. I guess I just need it as an alternative to dial up.

Can I just try it for the 4 months I'm paying for with the package? I'll be going on a Work Placement then and can afford proper broadband. Yes!!!1

Do you think the Easons pack gives me 6 months and not 4 then? If Carphone Warehouse don't have them in, where else might?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd suppose as an alternative to dial-up it is ok.

I've heard of people getting up to 50 and 60 k downloads with Ripwave... hopefully I'll get at least 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I get 55-60k on most days with mine. Get a wired solution if at all possible though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

eircom time is NOT cheap, when you add line rental and it is time limited.

I think people forget that the fastest "Dial up" downloads you tend to get are 18-20k with dual channel ISDN, normally about 14-16... 56k modems download at about 4.5 k/sec. These are Irish speeds though, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

does this work out of the box?

or do you have to sign forms yada yada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It works out of the box - you'll just need to fill the contract in when you buy it in the shop. In Pixels where I bought it they gave me three days to take it back if it didn't work.

I've had it for about 7 months now or so. Used to have it in Dundrum and it was pretty terrible, max speed of 10k/s. I now have it in Glasnevin and it's great, 50k/s all the time. So best thing to do is try it out. For 18.95 and no contract, I think it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use it in work and in my folks house, cant go wrong if you have a good signal.

• Advertisement

Decided to pop into Carphone Warehouse, gave them my 75 euros, came home, ate some biscuits, and 15 minutes later I was getting 50-60k/sec download speeds! Very pleased so far. I know to some that's not "Broadband speeds" but it's several times better than anything dial up has ever offered. The uber-portability is a big plus - with Nova Networks, I had to have things installed to a house I don't own that i might not even be staying long in!

No Bittorrent though but I wasn't ever too fond of that, why is everything in big mad 12 gig files when I only need 1 or 2 of those files!? Use DC instead. If anyone can get Active mode working with that please tell me how you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Rozie wrote:
    Decided to pop into Carphone Warehouse, gave them my 75 euros, came home, ate some biscuits, and 15 minutes later I was getting 50-60k/sec download speeds! Very pleased so far. I know to some that's not "Broadband speeds" but it's several times better than anything dial up has ever offered. The uber-portability is a big plus - with Nova Networks, I had to have things installed to a house I don't own that i might not even be staying long in!

No Bittorrent though but I wasn't ever too fond of that, why is everything in big mad 12 gig files when I only need 1 or 2 of those files!? Use DC instead. If anyone can get Active mode working with that please tell me how you did it.

Where are you located

ntlbell wrote:
    Where are you located

The top of Pouladuff road, Cork City, not far from the University.

Advertisement