Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trying to copy files from windows 2003 server

• 18-12-2006 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

im using windows xp remotely (in a dublin office)to remotely connect to a windows 2003 server based in london.
    Is there any way i can copy files from the servers hard drive to my machine.
    i tried to run the command \\computername\c$ but it gives me access denied..any other ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do you mean ALL the files or just some

C$ only works if you are an admin and the share hasn't been disabled or locked out somehow

can you logon to any other folders ?
    are you using a VPN or terminal session as the rules may vary
    is it on a different domain ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I don't know if its as simple as this. But when we use remote desktop through vpn I click on the option under remote desktop's 'local resources' tab to allow access to the local drive/s. Basically copy and paste then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nah petes, that allows you to access the local drives on your own machine, from the RDP session on the other machine.

There's a good chance that the OP;
    1. Isn't on (or is on a different) domain
    2. Doesn't have rights to access the remote machine
    3. Is being blocked by firewall or VPN rules as Cap'n Midnight suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Dunno bout you kids but i've never been able to simply copy and paste from a remote desktop session. In fact I didn't think it was possible nor designed to without an FTP server running at least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It should be possible to copy and paste text between Remote Desktop sessions. When you're connecting to a machine via remote desktop, you're provided with the option to connect your local disks, serial ports and printers to the remote machine. These appear connected on the remote machine - your disks appear in "My Computer" and your printers appear as network printers. This allows you to copy data back and forth, and use your local printers and serial devices.

It's not really recommended to use these options over slow links. They slow down the session something horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

In the old days you had to hack around to enable copy and paste over terminal services. Now it's enabled in 2003 and the latest RDP clients.

Under Remote desktop connection, click on options.
    Then select the Local Resources tab. Click on the "More" button under Local Devices and resources section on the page. Select the drive on your local computer that you want to make available to the remote computer.

You'll be asked to verify that you're making the drive available.
    On connection, it will be shown as a network drive, without an associated letter in file explorer.

If this fails or is disabled.

Is there any chance of installing an cygwin openSSH server on either end of the connection? Then use a winSCP client on the opposite site to swap files back and forth.

Advertisement