Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display issues (Monitor or Gfx card or drivers?)

Options
  • 19-12-2006 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I got a new pc, well just a tower unit that my friend built for me. Ive it set-up and running and all now but theres just 1 thing annoying me. The image on the screen seems too bright despite me lowering the brightness in the monitor settings, and also when viewing websites and i use the scroll thing on my mouse the page lags a bit, hard to describe but the picture doesnt move slowly, it sort of has to reload. The website doesnt disappear or anything, it just sort of flashes whilst scrolling. Its like: I scroll once, and the site scrolls that amount but a wave goes up the screen, i scroll 2times and 2 waves go up the screen. Its just not keeping up or something,,,, i scroll and the website doesnt scroll instantly, it lags and then scrolls with a wave. I cant scroll slowly to read something line by line like.

Its hard to describe, it cant be too big an issue to fix though. Should i try installing the drivers for the Gfx card? My friend didnt give me the driver cd for the card but maybe i could download them. Im not sure what the specific card is, under device manager its not listed or else i cant seem to find it?

Its an Asus A8N Sli mobo with an Opteron 146 cpu. The mobo is 1 of them dual graphic card yokes, but im only using 1 gfx card. Im using Windows Xp Professional.

Anyway, can anyone help me here? Why isnt my Gfx card listed properly and should i try dload drivers or try adjusting the scroll speeds first if thats even possible. Im inclined to think its the graphics card as the picture seems too bright and not proper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Heres a pic of my device manager and under the video adaptor listing. Am i right in thinking the drivers are not installed for the Gfx card? I think it was an Ati7600 or something like that.

The pic didnt turn out too well,,, is that cause of the display issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steveo1983

looks like you need video, sound and chipset drivers. get them from the manfacturers websites of the componants

Hiya, yeah when i go to play a windows media demo it says "No audio hardware is available or is not responding".

I have the cd that came with the motherboard, right, i installed Realtec audio off the mobo cd along with Microsoft DirectX9. I now have sound and media player works, but my display issues remain. Looks like i need the Gfxcard drivers badly.

Anyone have any more suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

What make graphics card is it ?

Also install service pack 2 for Windows XP to enable the USB2 controllers.

NVIDIA chipset drivers install to get the drivers for the PCI Memory Controller/PCI Bridge/SM Bus Controller/network card do not install before installing service pack 2
    NV drivers will give four choices;
    * Chipset/SM Bus - install.
    * Ethernet - install but when prompted for the NAM (network access manager) decline not worth it.
    * Audio - don't install you already install drivers for it.
    * Storage - don't install more trouble than it's worth.

Once you find out what kind of graphics card it is the NVIDIA drivers can be gotten at this link and ATI drivers at this link for whichever type it is.

Hiya,
    Its an Ati x700 i have since found out.
    ive no service pack2 by the way or any service pack i think. Under system it just says win xp pro version2002.

I got the drivers and am trying to install them now. Its complaining of me not having microsoft .net framework files or some crap. Says i cant install catalyist drivers before they`re installed or something.

It continued on a wee bit, but now is sitting at a screen saying "Ati catalyst contro centre is preparing the installshield wizard which will guide you through the program set up process, please wait"

ive being waiting for the past 10mins,,,, will i cancel and try it again?
    Where csn i get these framework net files?
    Cheers btw.

• Advertisement

The .NET framework used to be linked on ATI's site but you can download it from Microsoft's site.

Really install SP2 before doing anything else (you don't need to install SP1 beforehand) if the XP CD you used to install wasn't even at the SP1 level then do not install the NVIDIA chipset drivers until SP2 is in otherwise you will break the system.

Ahhhhh Sweet!!!!
    the drivers didnt look to have finished but i just restarted it and the scroll issue is sorted. Everything is running now, just need to dload service pack2. Thanks 8t8 for reminding me bout SP2.

All i installed off the mobo cd was the realtec sound and Dx9. I didnt go near the chipsets.

How do i get SP2,, off the microsoft site? Have you a handy link maybe?

The install service pack 2 text in my previous post was a link to SP2.

Anyway here it is again service pack 2

Advertisement