Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*** Motors Forum Changes ***

Options
  • 19-12-2006 12:32am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It has been proposed that due to the increase in traffic to the motors forum that some changes be made to the structure of the forum.
    What are people's thoughts?
    I reckon that due to the nature of some of the common threads the following ccould be adopted:
    * a 'legal' area would be handy - somewhere where people could ask about licences, VRT, tax, insurance, etc.
    * a mechanical secition
    * a general motors chat forum to take everything else

These I guess would run in parallel to the classic cars, modded motors and the bikes forums

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's an excellent idea kbannon, we could certainly use the Mechanical, and Legal forums! Trust me, as an admin on my own site (miniclub.ie), the more forums you can break things down into, the better it is for users in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

Gr8 idea it would sort it out big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

nice idea,wonder could you arrange a garda bashing one also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

SoBe wrote:
    nice idea,wonder could you arrange a garda bashing one also :D

Yeah, as a sub form and you could put roadrage in there too :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Great idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How about a 'fog light' subforum and a 'can I drive unaccompanied on my first provisional' subforum .. that should remove about 90% of traffic from the main part of the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Can I also suggest an "Alfa - Opinions Please?" forum :)

Don't know about the sub-sections you suggest. It could be that people just simply throw everything into the General forum anyway as people will want to see the most about of views. Some other options:

Motors - Buying / Reviews / Pictures
    Motors - Road Rules / Licenses / Tax
    Motors - Mech Help (mechanics, etc)

Actually at this stage you could move the "What I saw today thread" into it's own forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's grand the way it is.

The less clicking you have to do on the slowest website in world the better :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

kbannon wrote:
    * a 'legal' area would be handy - somewhere where people could ask about licences, VRT, tax, insurance, etc.

KB, I think from viewing quite a few threads here that this could be an all-in-one sticky. That way people can 'tap the sign' when asked one of the usual questions. I'm not opposed to the legal side of things but surely the legal discussion forum would happy to get that traffic?
    * a mechanical secition

Agreed.
    * a general motors chat forum to take everything else

These I guess would run in parallel to the classic cars, modded motors and the bikes forums

Sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think it's a good idea. It'll be a little more hassle having to visit each individual forum, but at least the more recent posts will be on page 1 in most cases.

And I'll be able to conciously avoid the ever recurring 'fog lights' threads!

I'd suggest:
    1. Driving behaviour / Rules of the road and related issues.
    2. Buying, Selling, Reviews and Opinions on makes & models.
    3. Mechanical problems & Advice.

Thats my 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Seconded. Having to check Motorbikes and Motors is a pain in the tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not sure about splitting the forum up would be a good idea-would definetly be a harder option to moderate but thats not my problem.

The first thing I would recommend is a "Bad Beats" sticky thread. For use by all of those who get caught breaking the law and admit to such, but try to garner some sympathy from others.

Then a sticky containing links to all relevant motoring websites, categorised into legal links, paperwork (licensing laws, insurance laws, driving test details)links,buying/selling links, Car review websites, misc. This or perhaps a FAQ which would use those links for more information.
    Apart from that, those two things would definetly add to the forum.

Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I think legal may give the wrong impression, to the topics to be discussed, Jayok suggestions seems to fit well.

Regarding the slow servers, we are looking at new hardware which will help the problem, but with a database holding in excess of 5.5 million posts, close to 30,000 unique visitors every day, and over 3000 new registrations last month alone its hardly surprising that the existing hardware is feeling the pressure.

Finally breaking the forums down into sub forums will not add any noticable extra load, no more than clicking to the next page of threads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Less is more and all that;)

When I click into the motor forum, I can see things from all these categories that would interest me and I might read/reply, but if they were put into sub forums, I probably would never go into the "legal" or mechanical forum, unless I need help, where as now if I see someone ask a question in the main motor forum, I'm much more likely to answer because I see it being asked, but I'm not going to navigate somewhere to see if anyone is asking questions.

In fact, I'd be a lot less likely to visit the motor forum over all as I have no real interest in any of the individual topics, but just them all as a whole.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Seconded again (thirded?)...

If they are to be split though don't forget a "High Horse" forum for those don't so much drive, as sit atop a large nag. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

cormie wrote:

In fact, I'd be a lot less likely to visit the motor forum over all as I have no real interest in any of the individual topics, but just them all as a whole.

I agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I'm in the "keep it as it is, especially because of the post-lunch-slowdown response times on the site" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

What about "Good/Bad Motor Dealer" forum:D

or is that just Mad....?

also, "Why can't i sell my car for the same as i paid for it" forum
    "How can i avoid paying VRT" forum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Might I suggest a "what should I buy" sub forum

One drawback is that the traffic slowdown in the main forum could lead to less people seeing questions which they might be able to help with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IMO things should stay as they are. Get rid of most of the stickies and moderate threads as they appear. If there are 5 separate fog light threads started in the space of one day then maybe merge them. Otherwise let posters rant away even if the same topics keep cropping up regularly.

I have seen forums on other sites broken up into sub forums and it often destroys any "atmosphere" that was in the original forum. Personally I don't enjoy browsing through several half empty forums to see if there are any threads that interest me. I don't think there is enough traffic on the motors forum to justify breaking it up into more subforums.

As for a mechanical/technical sub forum, I don't see the need as if people have complex mechanical questions to ask they'll get better advice in a forum specific to their car or in something like uk.rec.cars.maintenance (google groups)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

K, you'll be moving threads to beat the band! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

BrianD3 wrote:
    IMO things should stay as they are...

I have seen forums on other sites broken up into sub forums and it often destroys any "atmosphere" that was in the original forum. Personally I don't enjoy browsing through several half empty forums to see if there are any threads that interest me.

I agree with this. There's plenty of examples of this on Boards already. My vote is to keep things as they are and maybe add another moderator if the need is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

excellant idea - especially "mechanical" section

• Registered Users Posts: 34,860 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's always fine for me (I use Opera and I usually have loads of tabs open at once). Turn off javascript, this makes a huge difference. You lose the top nav but can subcribe to the forums you're interested in and get to them from the user control panel.

As regards the point of this thread, I think a "Cars" forum might be a good idea for the what should I buy/how do I fix/what I saw today stuff.
    I'm interested in general motoring issues but not the car-specific stuff, just as most car drivers are not interested in the bike-specific stuff in the Motorbikes forum.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Might I suggest a seperate Big Nelly forum? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mechanical subforum ftw
    Sticky (another one ;) ) for legal, to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm quite happy with the way things are. You get more variety this way and might read articles that you wouldn't exactly look for otherwise (and sometimes actually learn something new while doing so)

A few less stickies to create more room on the first page would be good though ...and, of course, a motorhome/campervan subsection :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A sticky forum?

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was literally going to post about the stickies just now - great minds and all that!!!
    Anyhow, I am finishing off a new charter and will include links to the current stickies in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

peasant wrote:
    a motorhome/campervan subsection :D:D:D
    Yea, a subsection in Travel and Holidays. :D:D:D

Advertisement