Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*** Motors Forum Changes ***

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Please don't split it as the mix of topics is what keeps it popular.
    Just my 2c.

on second thoughts maybe a high horse forum isn't such a bad idea.......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

May I suggest that any legal forum have a rule prohibiting posts like "You should take the points" and "the Gardai are great and are never wrong" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

How about 3 Subs:

Buying\Selling\Importing
    Mechanical\Technical\Maintenance
    Road\Traffic Discussion

Oh and add this to the stickies :D

I wouldn't touch the word legal with a barge pole and be sure that it is empahsised as a discussion forum. The last thing we need is some muppet getting advice from the mechanical board regarding brakes for example, having an incident and trying to blame\sue boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Instead of legal call it Traffic law discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ballooba wrote:
    Might I suggest a seperate Big Nelly forum? :p
    :D I wholeheartedly endorse this event and/or product!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

BrianD3 wrote:

I have seen forums on other sites broken up into sub forums and it often destroys any "atmosphere" that was in the original forum. Personally I don't enjoy browsing through several half empty forums to see if there are any threads that interest me. I don't think there is enough traffic on the motors forum to justify breaking it up into more subforums.

My opinion too. I don't think there would be enough activity in the seperate forums and it would die a slow painfull death.... It's been quiet in here lately anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Says the man with 13 posts! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mike65 wrote:
    Says the man with 13 posts! :D

Mike.

Maybe he's going for quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

colm_mcm wrote:
    Maybe he's going for quality...

Here? Surely not!!! :D

I think that the removal of a few stickies is a very good idea, as they are a PITA.

I also have to agree with several others about splitting the forum - the number of people subscribing to motors may well drop, and those genuine people looking for advice may lose out as a result.

Good idea about merging all the foglight and bad garda threads, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm in favour of splitting them - but I do see the points that others make for keeping the forum as it is. Either way I'm not really bothered, but given the choice I'd like to see a seperate 'Mechanical' section.

Any sign of a decision yet, kb?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Leave it as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe add a poll? Although the majority opinion (which I agree with) seems to be leave things as they are from what I can see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

And a "what BMW should I buy" section? Seems to come up often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

JHMEG wrote:
    And a "what BMW should I buy" section? Seems to come up often enough.
    Ooh, ooh, can we have a sticky for 'What Hyundai should my dad buy?' he had a Fiat but had to keep fixing it (his names Tony BTW) and now he wants something not too powerful in a neutral colour and without lots of extras to 'go wrong'. Some day I hope my dad will let me get driving lessons in it but until I am thirty he says I can't. What about a Skoda or are they still rubbish like Ladas used to be? When I grow up I want a 316i like Damien down the road - he is so cool and he doesn't give a toss about the environment with his huge engine and electric windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Leave it the way it is. Same arguments as BrianD3 and peasant, except I'm not in favour of a caravan / campervan / motorhome subforum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

unkel wrote:
    Leave it the way it is. Same arguments as BrianD3 and peasant, except I'm not in favour of a caravan / campervan / motorhome subforum :D
    I have a caravan and would like to discuss important issues with like-minded individuals in a non-judgemental forum, away from jeering numbskulls and boy racers.... Oh, I see what you mean.... Eh - ok then, I agree with unkel and anyone who said leave it the way it is.

Apart from a sticky for funny Youtube links with relevant Irish motoring videos showing loonies speeding away from midlands Gardai in diesel Puntos. Have you seen the Gardai in Tullamore have a Yaris? Try and catch me now yis feckers...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

no split
    leave as is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ooh, ooh, can we have a sticky for 'What Hyundai should my dad buy?' he had a Fiat but had to keep fixing it (his names Tony BTW) and now he wants something not too powerful in a neutral colour and without lots of extras to 'go wrong'. Some day I hope my dad will let me get driving lessons in it but until I am thirty he says I can't. What about a Skoda or are they still rubbish like Ladas used to be? When I grow up I want a 316i like Damien down the road - he is so cool and he doesn't give a toss about the environment with his huge engine and electric windows...

WTF was that about?:confused:

That was Interceptor that was! He has a point there are too many stickies...ahem! ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

It's grand the way it is.

The less clicking you have to do on the slowest website in world the better :)
    Agree also. Its easier to browse a wide range of posts from one page rather than scanning through categories. If anything I would prefer the Classic and Modified Cars sections integrated into the main Motors board.

(I dont find the site slow though??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

if its not broke dont fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Leave it as is - people will only gravitate towards the busier sub-forum anyway and posts will end up being missed and/or having to be moved. Vote for fewer stickies though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mike65 wrote:
    He has a point there are too many stickies...ahem!
    Purely be conicidence they have been removed!

My lifes work! :eek: Gone! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gone but not forgotten!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thank christ, the stickies in here used to drive me spare.

Noice one on the fogs rule btw. :)

Advertisement