Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who doesnt love Richard Bruton?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Link to opinions on local crime.

Anyone watch Q ans A tonight?
    Everytime Richard was about to say something cool, they changed subject. Arrgh!

People should listen to what he has to say about crime and punishment.

snipet from above link.

who doesnt agree with this?

"Instead of relying on prison places that cost the taxpayer €110,000 per prison place per year, more emphasis must be placed on community service, mentoring and other approaches that have been successful overseas."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it costs about €302 a day to keep someone in jail, how much would it cost for them to roam the streets? TBH, use them as a chain gang fixing the potholes, or something. And if you say they won't run off: some prisoners haven't gone back to prison after last years christmas:eek: so I'd say they'd make a run for it if given half a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

He should be FG leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

He should be FG leader.

He probably will be after the next general election, IMO - unless the Fine Gael/Labour coalition get into government. This, at the present moment, doesn't look as assured as it did 6 months ago.

Kenny is OK, but he doesn't have that charisma that leader need in order to encourage people to vote for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

Unfortunately charisma isnt something fine gael have in abumdance. but that doesnt make them a bad party. it just means its harder to motivate the masses to support them. they try and go for rationality, which for most people who dont put the effort into knowing whats going on, it sounds very boring.
    enda kenny is the opposite to gerry adams.
    kenny has good policies and ideas, but lacks charisma.
    adams lacks good policies and ideas, but has alot of charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Dontico wrote:
    Unfortunately charisma isnt something fine gael have in abumdance. but that doesnt make them a bad party. it just means its harder to motivate the masses to support them. they try and go for rationality, which for most people who dont put the effort into knowing whats going on, it sounds very boring.

As a Fine Gael member, I actually agree.

Bruton would have been my initial choice for leader but I have warmed to Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

community service is a great idea, there is plenty of roads needed to be swept early sunday mornings, community centres to be fixed up, charity groups calling out for volunteers etc. maybe just maybe these horrible jobs may humble a criminal (petty crimes) thou if you ar a crack head/mugger then maybe not

sure surely after all these years off fiana fail, rte are bout to be more pro ff.

still if ye are so passionate about burton's ideas, its for ye to join fine gael and spread the word/school of taught around to your communities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

crack heads and muggers are not the same thing. people with drug problems shouldnt be labeled as criminals, but people with a problem.
    i also regard non-violent muggings as petty crimes.

and yes i did join fine gael.

Dontico wrote:

Any examples of these good policies?

I think what fine gael lack at the moment is vision. Saying we'll do pretty much the same thing as the current crew but better won't win many votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

He should be FG leader.

I agree with you, though I can't see it happening. He's got gravitas, unlike Enda Kenny. Sad to say, politics is about the power of the personality in this country and old Enda is sadly lacking in this department.

Advertisement