Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crack pipe tales

• 19-12-2006 2:40am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

ok Im not one to post here, I usually take the opposite when it comes to this forum but I thought hey, why not give it a whirl.

I have a friend whom I care dearly for and he has a crack problem. I went with him the other night while he bought the crack from his dealer and then home with him and watched him smoke it getting high then coming down.. It was really something you never want to see happen to someone you love but Ive seen it before with someone else.

So my question is, does anyone else here have someone close to them in that situation and how were you able to help them? I know I can help him if he wants help but right now I dont think he wants the help so all I can do is stand by and watch, which is so hard as you can imagine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

Yeah there was a person who I really cared about who used to smoke heroin. She was a very clever girl, in TCD, smoked herion everyday for about 3 years. Somehow she stuck with the smoking (it's extremely difficult to OD when you smoke heroin) and gave up after she graduated.

She's now a fairly "normal" person.

Nagging or advising doesn't work. Maybe try making your friends life better, so he can decide himself that he doesn't need the crack anymore?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Nagging or advising doesn't work. Maybe try making your friends life better, so he can decide himself that he doesn't need the crack anymore?

This is something I am working on but it's a bit deeper than that.
    thanks for the feedback though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - This may be a starting point for some advice for how you can make a difference to your friends life...

Narcotics Anonymous
    4-5 Eustace Street. Dublin 2.
    Helpline Number: 01 6728000
    Email: na@ireland.org.

Best of luck & fair dues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I agree with hill billy. And then people say drugs dont do harm.........my arse, they are illegal for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

Steyr, the majority of people who take drugs have no problems. Do you drink alcohol? Way worse than any of the other illegal drugs.

But... this is PI, so nevermind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

But... this is PI, so nevermind.

If you wish to discuss the pros and cons, take it to Humanities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Sorry OP, I've no crack cocaine advice for you, but perhaps talking with someone in NA might help you gain perspective on the issue?

Or perhaps someone from the Rutland centre, it's out on the southside just off the m50, stick 'rutland centre' into Google? It's an addiction treatment centre primarily.

Methinks Aoife that while alcohol is a big, big problem in this country, that the majority of crack cocaine users would beg to differ with your view. It can fúck you up real good, real fast. Regardless of legality, it's not a good thing to be doing (OT sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I agree with Beans. Getting some help form these organisations on how to help your friend is key. But the sad thing is, unless your friend actually wants to be helped, then there's little you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I just want to point out that I think BEAT is still in the USA.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

yes gordon I am thanks ;)
    but no worries I know no one can give me the answer just wondering if anyone had a similar experience to share so maybe I can gain a little more perspective. . .

• Advertisement
Advertisement