Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Do You like Most About Christmas at Home?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Tell me what you like most about Christmas in Ireland?

No negativity or cynical views thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Wrapping up in my big dressing gown and furry boot slippers and going downstairs to open my presents which my parents still put into our Christmas stockings even though we are all in our 20s and eqarly 30s.

Helping get the dinner ready and realising that I've drank half a bottle of wine in the process.

The Christmas dinner, the pudding and the tin of Chocolate Kimberleys.

All sitting around having a drink chatting in a way that you only do as a family on Christmas day cos there's nowhere else to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Having the fire going from about 6am. OPen the presents, have a great breakfast and dinner. then veg out infront of the TV all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

the crap weather.

Believe it or not, it does not feel a bit like Christmas here, cause its 30 degrees. Not christmassy at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

rossious wrote:
    the crap weather.

Believe it or not, it does not feel a bit like Christmas here, cause its 30 degrees. Not christmassy at all :(

I know, hearing White Christmas while you're sun bathing isjust plain wrong!
    But I'll be moaning next year when I'm cold so I'll make the most of it and not complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 motormatic

dSTAR wrote:
    Tell me what you like most about Christmas in Ireland?

No negativity or cynical views thanks...

The smell of my aunts house, the highland cattle in the field, the donkey in the back yard and drinking and talking in front of a warm fire. I would love to go there for Christmas, but was just there in October, so not this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rabies wrote:
    Having the fire going from about 6am. OPen the presents, have a great breakfast and dinner. then veg out infront of the TV all day

Pretty much the same idea. Lots of ZzZzZ. :)

Something I never did or saw the point of, was drinking all or most of christmas day.
    Some of my friends and relations do it. I might have a one drink but that will be it. Suppose it is because I always had my younger brothers and sisters around me.
    This year it will be different. No family, christmas with friends. Gonna be drunk :D
    Better try to be sober for the phone call home on christmas day and remember the time difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Guess_Who wrote:
    Wrapping up in my big dressing gown and furry boot slippers and going downstairs to open my presents which my parents still put into our Christmas stockings even though we are all in our 20s and eqarly 30s.

We do that in our house too - and every year we say 'are we too old for this?' but it's just not Christmas if we're not doing the same rigramole every year :-) We also sing 'here we come around the mulberry bush' and skip around a coffee table before opening the family gifts.

Possibly something that made sense when we were 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Guess_Who wrote:
    I know, hearing White Christmas while you're sun bathing isjust plain wrong!
    But I'll be moaning next year when I'm cold so I'll make the most of it and not complain.
    You got that right.

I'm pining for that beach in Coogee, Sydney right now. Great Xmas last year there. 36 degrees and drinking cool ones on the beach. Ah yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

The weather. It's so hot and humid here right now...doesn't feel like Christmas at all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The freezing cold weather, opening presents, the delight on my brothers face "Look what Santa got me", all friends and familly coming around (even though its never arranged it always happens which is nice) and just the general laugh that we have opening and messing around with the toys that we got. Ahh cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

seansouth wrote:
    Great Xmas last year there. 36 degrees and drinking cool ones on the beach. Ah yeah.
    Ahhh well...I suppose it is a case of wanting what you can't have.

It was (relatively) cold and wet in Melbourne yesterday so it reminded me a bit of Christmas in Ireland. It was stinking hot here in the lead up to Christmas with 42 degree days and overnight temps hovering around 29 degrees. I'd take the cold any day.

On Christmas Day I like to pan out on the sofa in front of a log fire with a glass of red wine or Baileys, various snacks and muchables at hand and Christmas editions of Coronation Street or Eastenders. TV in Australia over Christmas is shocking - you'd hardly know it was Christmas. Irish people know how to celebrate Christmas properly...as he *pines into his 9am Baileys.

dSTAR wrote:
    TV in Australia over Christmas is shocking - you'd hardly know it was Christmas. Irish people know how to celebrate Christmas properly...as he *pines into his 9am Baileys.
    Couldn't agree more. I spent christmas day and st stephens day in Perth, TV was terrible so we got drunk instead :D The weather was weird, never had great sunshine at that time of the year.
    Travelled up the west cost for the next 6 days for New Year. 40c most days and mid 20s at night. Crazy heat, but I did spend new year snorkling on the beach watching lods of bright fish swim amongst the coral :) Much better from my usual New Year

Advertisement