Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server outage every morning at 3am

Options
  • 19-12-2006 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I take it that the servers do some maintenance every morning between 3 and 3.30am. Surely there would be a little less traffic at 4.30am or so. Any chance you could change the time when this happens?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's always asked, and the reason it's done at that time is because it have the least amount of traffic.

the admins have logs like you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I wonder how they know this. Once 3am was chosen it would cause less traffic at that time.
    Are there any threads with a good response from an admin?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I believe this was done before, you could try looking over old posts. However, believe it or not, the admins are actually professionals in the world of IT (for the most part) and even more surprisingly, this wouldn't be the first website they've put together and run...

3am is my peak hour and no matter professional the admins are that isn't changing!

I would like to see proof that 3am has less traffic than 4am. I'm not calling you guys liars, I'm just naturally skeptical.

Can you suggest any keywords to search for old threads? I searched before creating this thread and couldn't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

I have a link for an earlier thread too March 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

3am is my peak hour and no matter professional the admins are that isn't changing!

Dear Boards please change everything to suit my needs.

In other news, I'd also like to see december be less cold dark and wintery.

I would like to see proof that 3am has less traffic than 4am. I'm not calling you guys liars, I'm just naturally skeptical.

I'm not calling you guys liars I just found a more polite way of calling you liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Not a smart ass answer, but you have been here for 6yrs. Have you never seen threads like this in Feedback before? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I, and many others, have requested this on several occasions. the overwhelming responce is "NO".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

julep wrote:
    I, and many others, have requested this on several occasions. the overwhelming responce is "NO".

Boards 3am outage. The admin's way of saying "Dude, like get some sleep"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ecksor wrote:
    I've checked the logs for the last year and the quietest time is consistently a period of time just after 3am when there are no log entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes but shockingly it is that way because of the 3am back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

3am may be your peak hour, but 4am will be someone else's peak. And 5am someone else's peak hour. Between 2am and 6am, you can be pretty much guaranteed that there are only two groups of people on boards; Gamers and shift workers. They're here constantly between those hours, so no matter what hour the backup is at, there will be complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

seamus wrote:
    3am may be your peak hour, but 4am will be someone else's peak. And 5am someone else's peak hour. Between 2am and 6am, you can be pretty much guaranteed that there are only two groups of people on boards; Gamers and shift workers. They're here constantly between those hours, so no matter what hour the backup is at, there will be complaints.

You forgot Ruu and the other expatriates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

and alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

markpb wrote:
    I was about to say that.
    Boards has reached a stage now where many of it's posters are based over seas. The down time would be more of a pain for us because it is definitly in our peak time. But it is only 30-35min, not long to wait for your next fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

As other people have said just because 3am is the time you use boards, plenty of other people use it at 4am, 5am, 6am etc etc, people from all over the world access this site, and unless you want to potentially lose all your posts and the website to fall over, the database needs to be backed up.
    Any chance you could change the time when this happens?

Our Survey Says: NA NA

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Lads, it's 30 minutes. Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

CuLT wrote:
    Lads, it's 30 minutes. Get a grip.

QFT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

FFS!!

Is this going to require another sticky at the top of this forum for people to stop asking this same question over and over.

Heres a suggestion. Put one sticky with all the really obvious and repetitive questions, call it "Read me if you're stupid" and then site ban anyone who asks one of the questions for 3 days.

For added effect call a gathering card after the first person to get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

How about custom avatars? (em.. for the non-subscribers I mean).

And oh, a karma system would be lovely.

It's a wonder nobody has thought of these things before. God, I'm dead clever, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I find the 3am stoppage really useful actually - means it's definitely time to get off boards and get some sleep...

Rabies wrote:
    Not a smart ass answer, but you have been here for 6yrs. Have you never seen threads like this in Feedback before? :/

Nope, never been in this forum before. I don't really like it to tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is now officially the latest "3am" thread that will be referred to next time,
    and there will be a next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well... maybe if they brought the old search back... :p:p:p

*runs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

markpb wrote:

Ah no, thats when its time to get a cup of tea and a biccie. I cannae do without it until the next mod comes along to take over from me shift. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ah, Boards.ie, the Empire upon which the sun never sets.*

* We can't be trusted in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It's all true. I admit it.

*SOB*

I remember it all to my enduring shame.

There we all were in the Spin Solutions office* when it became apparant that backups would have to be done and that they'd have to put enough strain on the server as to bring it to a standstill.

And that was when DeVore got out the D-12.

Regi was furiously pointing to the graphs that showed that the quietest time on boards was indeed 4am. And indeed it also showed that Mr. Flibble wouldn't be as active online in 2006 as at 3am (statistics really do show a lot). But no, DeV was weilding that infernal dodecahedron like a, a, I don't know something infernal with 12 sides. He threw the die, and it came up at 3.

All you people who like to get a quick look in before work be glad it didn't land on 8 or 9.

* If you don't know what Spin Solutions was, ask a boards old timer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Talliesin wrote:
    * If you don't know what Spin Solutions was, ask a boards old timer.

Hello Talliesin, how are you? What was Spin Solutions?

Advertisement