Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server outage every morning at 3am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Pighead wrote:
    Hello Talliesin, how are you? What was Spin Solutions?
    DeVore and the others used to make tumble dryers before they heard about this internet lark. Then they opened their web development company, and called it Spin Solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pighead wrote:
    Hello Talliesin, how are you? What was Spin Solutions?

The best damn internet dry cleaners there ever was! *wipes tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

We should live life on the edge and NEVER back up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

That's how it used to be done.

Many posts died.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Talliesin wrote:
    That's how it used to be done.

Many posts died.
    Or so the admins would have us believe...

[edit]OMFG, someone tried to shoot me, it must be an admin for revealing this most heinous of secrets!!! SPREAD THE WORD, IT'S A KONSPEARISSY!!![/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The "dead" posts were really relocated to a sweatshop in Turkmenistan, where they make iPod knockoffs day in, day out. The UN ignores my indignant letters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I think we need a Dead Posts Society forum.
    A place to discuss the past and find our inner self worth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

When we first started to backup, the default time of the scheduler was 3am. We've not changed it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Lol at all the know-alls who made up reasons for the 3am time. Thanks for giving us the actual reason regi.

Can I suggest moving it to 4.15am. I would imagine that there are more posters still awake at 4am from the night before than there are people awaking at 4.30am the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

seamus wrote:
    3am may be your peak hour, but 4am will be someone else's peak. And 5am someone else's peak hour.

I'm always at my peak.

boo-ya.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Curiously, I run into the 3am backup quite a bit because of my sleeping pattern and "job". It has to be some time and thats the time we've chosen.

The good news is that it should be greatly reduced with the arrival of the new servers (mostly likely over the new year but who knows during the silly season).

DeV.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I find the 3am rule great for knowing when its time to sleep...........or, just try and grab another quick game of Company of Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lol at all the know-alls who made up reasons for the 3am time. Thanks for giving us the actual reason regi.

Can I suggest moving it to 4.15am. I would imagine that there are more posters still awake at 4am from the night before than there are people awaking at 4.30am the next day.

As a fellow Poker forum poster (and poker player) I am going to back up Mr. Fibble on his request: the 3am outage also annoys me as it tends to be around the time I get home on a lot of my work nights (too many tbh): and a quick peek at Boards before bed is always nice.

But you can’t suit everyone I suppose. And at least we have our health. Isn’t that the main thing after all?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

health is -EV

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DeVore wrote:
    health is -EV

DeV.

lol - wp Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I think I've only run into the 3am backup once in the last year (sad huh).

That one time I ran into it, I logged into the servers, stopped the backups, read boards and restarted the backup afterwards :D (even sadder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

OMG abuse of powar!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

regi wrote:

That one time I ran into it, I logged into the servers, stopped the backups, read boards and restarted the backup afterwards :D (even sadder)

Fantastic post :D

Anyway, the 3AM backup is what normally tells me "OK Sully, its time to go to bed." so I just obey and hit the sack.. Extending that would mean I get even less hours sleep! :| Anyway, those 3AM Lurkers could just say "Right, well boards will be down for a half hour so lets take a quick break, head to the kitchen and make us some Tea & Toast." and sure, slap on an episode of CSI Miami if they got the gift set from a lovely girlfriend this year :D

Surely loosing Boards for a half an hour is worth loosing a large chunk of boards if the servers die and the admins are like "We aint got no backups, cause we had to facilitate the 3AM dudes"!? Boards may be addictive, but chillax. A half hour away wont kill any brain cells or make you run riot demanding a boards fix. It could be a lot worse. Boards could have opening hours.. 9-5. How would you like that!? Ya. My point exactly.

Thank You and Good Night. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

regi wrote:

Maybe we should all get root then? Makes everyone happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Oh no, it's actually gotten to the stage where not even the backup will send me to bed:o . Ah well it's just for the xmas hols.

Are you suuuure the quietest time is 3am? The night is young dudes!

PS: Backup is so 35 minutes and not 30

• Advertisement

I see I'm not the only one waiting for the lights to go out for a few minutes, night shift what fun:rolleyes:

03:00 time for another cup of tea

lol, it's when I go and make tea too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nearly time for a nice cup o' Lyons Gold Blend, there is no better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Boards goes down at 3am every morning?

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ya, rly!

well it's back up now;) nice tea!

Ruu wrote:
    Nearly time for a nice cup o' Lyons Gold Blend, there is no better. :)
    <3 Ruu

lyonsgold.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

kaimera wrote:
    Boards goes down at 3am every morning?

really?

Like a cheap hooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

wavebye.gif

• Advertisement

hello again:D

Advertisement