Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server outage every morning at 3am

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

.... and we're back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

well im off to bed. Hint hint. I reeeeally think server outage should be at 4.05am, as it is my bedtime:D Goodnight, dont stay up too late everybody!

Four more hours to go....:rolleyes:

I think I've been logged on to boards for almost 18 hours. That may explain why I'm still up trying to finish this stupid project...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Someone put on the keetle, will yiz. *looks for Kharn*

• Advertisement

Anyone got biscuits? Chocolate-chip cookies would be good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

you guys have no lives!!

i just passed the pc on the way to the toilet... ahem... but sure now that im up...

Welcome to insomnia-land :)

It's nice to be up before the milkman;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have the pot infront of me Ruu ;) I've also met the milkman, he brings me yogurts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I have to be up for 9am to be in work by 10. I have a pretty easy day, but I have to drive to Belfast tomorrow evening. Should I (a) fall asleep now and risk not waking up for my 10am appointment, or (b) stay up, but leave after work and put off my day stuff until Friday or (c) just stay awake, youve done longer in your student days.

I know this should be a personal issue, but im too tired to write all that out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

heres an idea delete all the post from the database(except charters)(keeping backups of course)
    chances are nobody will complain i know i wouldnt care.after 1 week have a poll asking people do they want to restore them or leave it as is after 2 weeks restore the backups if thats how people want it.

i personally would love to see boards "reborn"

I have to be up for 9am to be in work by 10. I have a pretty easy day, but I have to drive to Belfast tomorrow evening. Should I (a) fall asleep now and risk not waking up for my 10am appointment, or (b) stay up, but leave after work and put off my day stuff until Friday or (c) just stay awake, youve done longer in your student days.

Since you're pretty tired now, it's probably best that you get at least some sleep, even if it is only for a couple of hours. Put your alarm clock on the other side of the room and you'll have to get up!
    weeder wrote:
    heres an idea delete all the post from the database(except charters)(keeping backups of course)
    chances are nobody will complain i know i wouldnt care.after 1 week have a poll asking people do they want to restore them or leave it as is after 2 weeks restore the backups if thats how people want it.
    i personally would love to see boards "reborn"

That's....random. Yeah I can see how it would be good, but one of the good things about Boards is its history and all the stuff that's happened here. Wouldn't like to see it all deleted.

Not deleted, but maybe moved to a searchable archive area.

For example all threads not added to in the last six months.

i was going to say thatmyself lol but at first move every single post into it and start with a clean boards twould be interesting to see how fast it grows back up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's like some ecological study gone mad

If all threads older than six months were archived after six months then...

oops. I got interrupted:D

The down time would be shorter...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

oops. I got interrupted:D
    Run that way --> .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

weeder wrote:
    i was going to say thatmyself lol but at first move every single post into it and start with a clean boards twould be interesting to see how fast it grows back up

An intresting idea, I propose that this be doen in After hours, as a trail run of course.
    Delete all the post and start from scratch, will be intresting to see who's postcount suffers the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Excellent Idea, I can understand keep the posts in forums where it matters and that a good search will stop 'some' threads coming up again and again but with AF and TD I think a clean slate would be great.

How could it not be a good thing? Even just delete everything after the first page?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye but some topics should be saved, the large topics that many several pages long with discussios that come up now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If they where any good they'd be on the first page .... CULL!!

heres the proposal then
    delete all AH posts but keep them in an archive
    after a week put up the poll
    after 2 weeks decide what to do :P
    good poll tear teh posts down(all of em and then arvhive em all)
    and we start afresh but i dunno what the admins will think of my idea,but another good thing would be threads older than 3-6 months get archived which would cut down the backups a bit i think

Yes it certainly makes sense to periodically archive off expired threads, frequently occurring subjects should be stickied and linked to the archived thread.

Doing so would simplify administration of the (smaller) database.

any word on my lewd idea?someone use the repost post function :P oh hello regi!

Advertisement