Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Trouble with Atheism

Options
  • 19-12-2006 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Anybody see this program on C4 on Monday night?

Although the presenter (Rod Liddle) was quite biased against atheists (... I probably should have coped that from the title :)) it was a good watch and echoed alot of what I thought

Main points:
    1) Atheism has become a religion onto itself (i.e. stubborn in it's rejection of other peoples beliefs and it's absolute faith in it's own)
    2) Atheism has no moral steering (i.e. it makes the example of Eugenics and how it's a 'logical' progression from Darwin's evolution)
    3) That science and religion aren't mutually exclusive (i.e. they interviewed a prominent physicist in England who had gone on to become a vicar)

The biggest problem with it, was it was too short and didn't explain all of it as well as it could have.

Also, the way they dealt with Dawkins was a little sensational. They were purely out to debunk his theories although he seemed to agree with alot of what the program was saying.

For example (not having read any of Dawkins, or even heard of him before this, excuse my ignorance) the idea of a "Mean"(?) is a pretty well thought out argument. It states that religion is like a virus that evolves and changes to suit it's surroundings. This idea seems pretty acceptable to me, I don't think it takes anything away from religion, I think most of us (even hard line believers) can accept that not all of religion is cold hard fact.

But the program went out of it's way for about 5 minutes to try and debunk this fact. Talking to a microbiologist, who pointed out that this is not how viruses work, and even at one point try to prove that evolution is itself about to be debunked...

But other than that, a good watch if it comes around again.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sounds interesting, if somewhat frustrating.

Dawkins does put himself in the firing line using terms like "virus" and "delusion" in relation to religion.

Did they actually call atheism "stubborn in it's rejection of other peoples beliefs"? Makes me wonder at what point a belief becomes stubborn. Or is any belief with conviction, stubborn...

For the record Dawkins theory involves "memes". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Memes, eh?!... I knew I was spelling it wrong :)

But yeah, the whole idea of atheism itself being a religion was a pretty big part of it....

Most of the atheists they interviewed were pretty hardline to be honest (well compared to Dawkins anyway, who seemed quite reasonable...)

They interviewed one guy who was handing out leaflets in America and had a big banner saying something along the lines of "All your Gods are fake" and even had a t-shirt with a figure throwing the Christian cross in the bin... for me, people like that definitely treat atheism as a religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Anybody see this program on C4 on Monday night?

I watched about half of the last fifteen minutes, in between rustling up some dinner.

The parts that I saw were not just deliberately provocative in the way that Rod Liddle usually is, but deliberately misleading. One example, just after I flicked on the telly, Liddle was going on about the ten commandments that Dawkins had come up with -- weak, wishy, washy things he said -- while the camera panned down the page, with a line about sex lives drifting past in the background. Firstly, the "ten commandments" Dawkins lists in his book were pulled from a website (as the text makes clear; they're not Dawkins' own), secondly, the bit that the camera filmed were not the listed "ten commandments", but actually some of Dawkins' additions on the following page. In other words, Liddle was deliberately misleading people about what Dawkins had written.

Elsewhere, in between pushing some lamb from the night before around a frying pan, I could have learned that atheism was a religion (er, no it's not), that Stalin's and Hitler's crimes were motivated by their "beliefs" in atheism, that people could not have an ethical code unless it was written in a book written by a sky-god. And so on and so on, tired cliché followed tired cliché, with inadequate responses from most of the atheists they interviewed, and Liddle marching after they'd said their bit, to rubbish them anyway.

I'm glad I missed the first 45 minutes and sorry that a friend phoned to let me know that this low-end, uninformed and misleading drivel was on telly. Liddle -- who's produced useful stuff in the past -- should be ashamed of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Main points:
    1) Atheism has become a religion onto itself (i.e. stubborn in it's rejection of other peoples beliefs and it's absolute faith in it's own)
    2) Atheism has no moral steering (i.e. it makes the example of Eugenics and how it's a 'logical' progression from Darwin's evolution)
    3) That science and religion aren't mutually exclusive (i.e. they interviewed a prominent physicist in England who had gone on to become a vicar)

As robindch points out the program seemed to have rather frustrating views of what atheism is and is not.

The treatment of Dawkins was poor, I agree... Liddle was definitely trying to provoke a stronger reaction from him asking at one stage "Do you 100% deny that there is a God?" and Dawkins replying "I believe in God as much as I do in unicorns or Fairies"...
    While every other Atheist he interviewed denied the existence of God straight out...

I also think he made it quite clear that Stalins and Hitlers crimes were no way directly related to the ideas of Darwin. More the fact that they used these teachings (along with others) to justify, at least in some way, their actions (to deny this in the case of Hitler is just blind...)

(p.s. the last 15 minutes were probably the worst)

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    As robindch points out the program seemed to have rather frustrating views of what atheism is and is not.

I don't agree.

I think it had a pretty clear idea of what atheism is (i.e. no agnostics please :))

If anything, it took this definition a little too far, mostly interviewing those that were fundamentalist atheists (:)... for want of a better expression) and therefore cementing the programs point on how this stubborn, arrogant dismissal of peoples beliefs is just as bad as the religion it's replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yeah I found myself getting infuriated sometimes by the presenter's line of questioning, particularly to Dawkins, who for his hardline stance came across as the most honest and intelligent of all interviewed. Although it probably should be noted that the title of the program was "the Trouble with Atheism" so there was bound to be a negative bias. Still as annoying as it was at times the level of debate wasn't dragged down to people talking about "miracles":rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> I think it had a pretty clear idea of what atheism is (i.e. no agnostics please)

Yes, you're right. The problem was, as above though, that the idea of atheism that he was talking about has nothing to do with any atheism that I'm aware of. He built up an image of this threatening, non-existent thing, then rubbished it.

Certainly, some people's individual beliefs that there is no god are probably as strong as some other people's individual beliefs that there is a god (though the stats show that the latter outnumber the former by at least twenty to one). Neither are there large-scale institutions propagating atheism or any large-scale political movement advocating it (or very much at all, really), so Liddle's referring to atheism as a "religion" is really quite disingenuous.

He could have asked around here for a more informed opinion :)

I don't agree.

I think it had a pretty clear idea of what atheism is (i.e. no agnostics please :))

If anything, it took this definition a little too far, mostly interviewing those that were fundamentalist atheists (:)... for want of a better expression) and therefore cementing the programs point on how this stubborn, arrogant dismissal of peoples beliefs is just as bad as the religion it's replacing

Well the idea that atheism is devoid of morality is technically correct. But it doesn't mean that atheists are devoid of morality. We just don't get our morality from sky gods or thousands of year old books.

Wicknight wrote:
    Well the idea that atheism is devoid of morality is technically correct. But it doesn't mean that atheists are devoid of morality. We just don't get our morality from sky gods or thousands of year old books.

So where do you get your morals from? Science? Yourself?

And if the answer is yourself... where did these morals originate from? your parents? your parents parents?... where did they get their morality from?

Atheists who come from a Christian background often mistake their inherited Christian morals as just common sense or their own enlightened morality... (me included... and I use Christians as an example, I'm sure it applies to most religions, I just don't have experience with them)

But it is hard to know how moral we would be without the strong religious influence that permeates our history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Well the Greeks were big into their morality and their deities were more or less amoral (Zeus rewarded the good and punished the bad arbitrarily, or as the story dictated, but he didn't say anything about what made good or bad).

Anyway, I think that religion actually has relatively little say in what is or isn't moral, it's society that does that (for example the strict homophobia practised by many fundamentals, while not being too pushed about the eating of seafood). Religion just gives morality an easy basis to justify everything.

From culture, from reasoning, and from evolution.
    Atheists who come from a Christian background often mistake their inherited Christian morals as just common sense or their own enlightened morality
    I would counter that the early Christians confused their inherited morality as messages from God.

I get my morality from the same place the early Jews and Christians got their morality (see above), but I don't confuse it as coming from a sky god. Morality comes from humanity, it always has done.
    But it is hard to know how moral we would be without the strong religious influence that permeates our history.

I would imagine we would be exactly as moral as we are now. Or another way to look at the question is what did religion provide as a moral framework that would not originate anyway.

Firstly, I have no idea of Greek Gods, so unfortunately I haven't the ability to comment on your first point...
    Anyway, I think that religion actually has relatively little say in what is or isn't moral, it's society that does that (for example the strict homophobia practised by many fundamentals, while not being too pushed about the eating of seafood).

These days (like the 2 contentious issues you pointed out) I'd agree with you...

But things in religion manifest for a reason, like Dawkins' "Memes" suggest, religion fills gaps needed to be filled... We (being mankind) must have needed moral guidance at some point and if we did then, why not now?

Now that we have a better understanding of the universe, do we have a better understanding of morality?
    Religion just gives morality an easy basis to justify everything.

Nope. You've lost me. :)

Wicknight wrote:
    From culture, from reasoning, and from evolution.

What? You don't think religion has anything to do with them?
    Wicknight wrote:
    I would counter that the early Christians confused their inherited morality as messages from God. I get my morality from the same place the early Jews and Christians got their morality (see above), but I don't confuse it as coming from a sky god. Morality comes from humanity, it always has done.

Your morality has been shaped by reasoning, evolution and culture... these things have been directly or indirectly effected by religion and religious thinking for thousands of years... you can't escape it... unless you've been dropped in from Mars?
    Wicknight wrote:
    I would imagine we would be exactly as moral as we are now. Or another way to look at the question is what did religion provide as a moral framework that would not originate anyway.

That's a pretty big assumption... I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but have you ever read Lord of the Flies?

What? You don't think religion has anything to do with them?
    It depends on what you mean by "has anything to do with it". Religion is part of culture, and as such is part of the system that passes on culture. That doesn't mean that morality comes from a higher power and passes through the religious teachings of a particular religion (as the religious followers might believe).

Religion is a product of the morality in society, not the cause of it. It would be very dangerous to think like that because it lends weight to the idea that if you remove religion then this source of morality is gone and we will all be immoral, which isn't true. The morality will still be there, it is inherent in humanity. It will just be presented and organised in a different manner.
    Your morality has been shaped by reasoning, evolution and culture... these things have been directly or indirectly effected by religion and religious thinking for thousands of years

I would see it as the other way round, that religion has been directly effected by them. Religion is the end product, not the source. It is one of the ways that humans have chosen to organise and structure cultural ideas and moral frameworks. But it is not the only way. Most modern moral frameworks are secular in nature, such as most western laws and things like the UN Declaration on Human Rights.
    That's a pretty big assumption... I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but have you ever read Lord of the Flies?

I have, but I think it was an absence of society that was presented as the reason for the decent into anarchy, not specifically religion. Religion is one way humanity has in the past chosen to organise the moral frameworks of society. It is not the only way, and removing religion does not mean you abandon any hope of organising moral frameworks in society. You just don't do it with a sky god.

Wicknight wrote:
    Religion is a product of the morality in society

I think this is the key point we disagree on.

For me it's not as simple as society created religion...

it's more like a chicken and egg situation...

Society created religion and religion created society

(A feedback loop if you will :))

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Your morality has been shaped by reasoning, evolution and culture... these things have been directly or indirectly effected by religion and religious thinking for thousands of years... you can't escape it... unless you've been dropped in from Mars?

I'm sure morality has been directly and indirectly affected a little bit by tomatoes over thousands of years, doesn't mean people who refuse to eat tomatoes are amoral. Their morality is just the kind that hasn't required tomatoey influences.

Are you a Catholic? I'd propose to you that the Catholic Church is a grossy immoral institution:

- No woman priests.
    - Gay people go to hell.
    - Enforced celibacy.
    - Touching children.
    - Covering up said touching of children.
    - Forbids condoms leading to AIDS exploding across Africa.
    - Sits on trillions of euro in treasure and refuses to use it for the good of humanity.

And if we include those last few thousand years you were reffering to:

- The Crusades. (Often referenced but for good reasons. Essentially the Pope ordered Christendom to send their armies to retake the Holy Land, like Antioch and Jerusalem. They then slaughtered tens of thousands in the name of God. For example, when the Christians took Jerusalem they slaughtered all the Muslims that didn't escape. The real reasons for the crusades were financial and political, ordered by the Pope.)
    - The inquisition. (Tortured, humiliated and murdered countless Atheists, Agnostics, Pagans, queers and Jews.)
    - Witches. Thousands burned alive.

So no, we can be moral without the despicable influence of religion thank you. Religion might try and lay claim to morality, but ultimately its just high jacking a very natural (evolved) human trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Main points:

I also have to demolish these, sorry.

Oxymoron. Because of the nature of Atheism any given atheist cannot be attacked because of the beliefs or actions of any other. In no way do I subscribe or conform to the beliefs of other Atheists. If some idiot has faith in his lack of belief in God then thats his perogative, doesn't make my sceptical disbelief, or that of others, in God any less valid.

Bull. As said, morality has evolved naturally. Its built into humans. Religion just like to claim it is the basis of morality. Any two people, atheist or religious, can be moral or immoral regardless of their belief in God.

And the Eugenics point is born of ignorance. Darwinian evolution is true, the fact that some people want to use that knowledge to further their own racial ends is irrelevant to how true it is. Evolution is an observation, it doesn't say it is right or wrong or that it should be used in any way, it simply is.

And on top of all that, Evolution is fully compatible with most Christianity these days and belief in evolution has zero to do with Atheism. Unless you're implying that Atheists are generally more educated than the religious but lets not go there shall we?

Philosophically, yes, they are. One is sceptical investigation, the other is unfounded belief. Hence, the only way a religious person can be a scientists is by ignoring their religion.

Bull.

I think this is the key point we disagree on.

For me it's not as simple as society created religion...

it's more like a chicken and egg situation...

(A feedback loop if you will :))

Well no offence but that position doesn't make a whole lot of historical sense.

How could religion have arisen before the development of common grouping, culture, language, shared experience etc etc, all the things that make up society. Even when we as a species were little more than hunter-gatherer roaming bands we still had a primitive form of society. It is hard to even visualise how religion would have developed before this.

Zillah wrote:
    I'm sure morality has been directly and indirectly affected a little bit by tomatoes over thousands of years, doesn't mean people who refuse to eat tomatoes are amoral. Their morality is just the kind that hasn't required tomatoey influences.

Are you a Catholic? I'd propose to you that the Catholic Church is a grossy immoral institution:

- No woman priests.
    - Gay people go to hell.
    - Enforced celibacy.
    - Touching children.
    - Covering up said touching of children.
    - Forbids condoms leading to AIDS exploding across Africa.
    - Sits on trillions of euro in treasure and refuses to use it for the good of humanity.

And if we include those last few thousand years you were reffering to:

- The Crusades. (Often referenced but for good reasons. Essentially the Pope ordered Christendom to send their armies to retake the Holy Land, like Antioch and Jerusalem. They then slaughtered tens of thousands in the name of God. For example, when the Christians took Jerusalem they slaughtered all the Muslims that didn't escape. The real reasons for the crusades were financial and political, ordered by the Pope.)
    - The inquisition. (Tortured, humiliated and murdered countless Atheists, Agnostics, Pagans, queers and Jews.)
    - Witches. Thousands burned alive.

First, you make a number of assumptions:
    1) That I'm religious
    2) I'm stating that the influence of religion is a 100% good thing

1) I'm not religious
    2) That religion was a huge influence on mankinds moral judgement (not everything to do with morality) and in the space of 100 years it has almost disappeared. Like my point above, has our greater understanding of the universe given us a better understanding of morality?

Second, can you not see the massive contradiction in your 2 points?
    a) Religion has had as much influence as tomatoes in our culture
    b) Religion has loads of money, killed millions of people and "touches children"
    Zillah wrote:
    So no, we can be moral without the despicable influence of religion thank you. Religion might try and lay claim to morality, but ultimately its just high jacking a very natural (evolved) human trait.

Again, more assumptions, not based in fact.

I thought you atheist were into fact, no?!

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    I also have to demolish these, sorry.
    It's ok
    Zillah wrote:
    Oxymoron. Because of the nature of Atheism any given atheist cannot be attacked because of the beliefs or actions of any other.

Not sure what you're getting at there?
    Zillah wrote:
    In no way do I subscribe or conform to the beliefs of other Atheists.

Yes you do. You believe there's no such thing as God, and that people who believe in God are wrong. You share this absolute belief with every other atheist. This is what an atheist is.
    Zillah wrote:
    If some idiot has faith in his lack of belief in God then thats his perogative, doesn't make my sceptical disbelief, or that of others, in God any less valid.

The fact that you don't know that God doesn't exist, makes it a belief
    Zillah wrote:
    Bull. As said, morality has evolved naturally. Its built into humans. Religion just like to claim it is the basis of morality. Any two people, atheist or religious, can be moral or immoral regardless of their belief in God.

Again, more assumptions
    Zillah wrote:
    And the Eugenics point is born of ignorance. Darwinian evolution is true, the fact that some people want to use that knowledge to further their own racial ends is irrelevant to how true it is. Evolution is an observation, it doesn't say it is right or wrong or that it should be used in any way, it simply is.

I love evolution, it's a great theory... The fact they were making out that it was going to be debunked was one of my main complaints about the program.

The fact that evolution "simply is" is exactly why it can be dangerous.

I'm not too sure what you're getting at by the "born of ignorance" statement.
    Zillah wrote:
    And on top of all that, Evolution is fully compatible with most Christianity these days and belief in evolution has zero to do with Atheism. Unless you're implying that Atheists are generally more educated than the religious but lets not go there shall we?

If you deny the link between the writing of The Origin of Species and the rise of atheism, then you are blind
    Zillah wrote:
    Philosophically, yes, they are. One is sceptical investigation, the other is unfounded belief. Hence, the only way a religious person can be a scientists is by ignoring their religion.

Tell that to Michael Faraday (amongst many others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I love evolution, it's a great theory... The fact they were making out that it was going to be debunked was one of my main complaints about the program.
    I don't believe it was stated that evolution was going to be disproved, but rather that there would be a major change in science thinking on the matter. One that would undermine the basic Darwinian view that species evolve over time and cannot appear ‘instantaneously’.

Second, can you not see the massive contradiction in your 2 points?
    a) Religion has had as much influence as tomatoes in our culture
    b) Religion has loads of money, killed millions of people and "touches children"

He didn't say culture, he said "morality"

I think the problem you are having is that you are finding it hard to see moral opinions forming outside of influence of church teachings. This is a sign that the church has done a very good job at making people think they are responsible for all the good moral things that we have today, and that without them we would be basically f**ked.

The reality is quite a bit different. Pretty much any of the good teachings of say Jesus or the New Testament (we will leave out the Old Testament since that is little more than an instruction manual on how to rape and pillage your neighbours and enemies) can be found in earlier philosophies.

Religion doesn't really add anything new to the discussion, it is simply a way to organise, not really invent. Which is part of the problem. Religion won't make people into good people, history has taught us that. If you are a bad person you will probably still be a bad person with religion.

I don't believe it was stated that evolution was going to be disproved, but rather that there would be a major change in science thinking on the matter. One that would undermine the basic Darwinian view that species evolve over time and cannot appear ‘instantaneously’.

Yeah, I kind of got that alright...

But the way they asked the question and the fact they didn't go into alot of detail about it, confused the issue more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

joe_chicken, where did god get his morals? He had no religious framework to go by, he just presumably started to exist and morality began at that time too. Wouldn't he need something to refer to in order to become the moralistic being that he is?

Also, which religious texts are appropriate for drawing morality from? How about the Old Testament, is that any use?

Wicknight wrote:
    He didn't say culture, he said "morality"

Was it not you who said that your morality was influenced (among other things) by culture?
    Wicknight wrote:
    I think the problem you are having is that you are finding it hard to see moral opinions forming outside of influence of church teachings.

I think the problem you are having is reading my posts.
    I have no doubt that people can form moral opinions without religion.
    If you dropped in from Mars, I'm sure you'd be able to make some kind of moral decisions, some good, some bad, not unfluenced by religion.
    But the simple fact is - we are all descendents of people who believed in God our culture is one that is rooted in religion - whether you (or me) like it
    ([edit] forgot to finish sentence :))
    Wicknight wrote:
    This is a sign that the church has done a very good job at making people think they are responsible for all the good moral things that we have today, and that without them we would be basically f**ked.

I kind of agree with you...
    We won't know for sure until we have a society that is completely void of religion
    Wicknight wrote:
    Religion doesn't really add anything new to the discussion, it is simply a way to organise, not really invent. Which is part of the problem.

Why is this a problem? Get all the teachings of tolerance, compassion, good will, forgiveness and charity, and put them into one place... It often doesn't work out like this, but these are the ideals behind religion

(Before people jump down my kneck with Crusades and Gay marriage... I'm not just talking about Catholicism.. or even Christianity...just religion)
    Wicknight wrote:
    Religion won't make people into good people, history has taught us that. If you are a bad person you will probably still be a bad person with religion.

All true.

DaveMcG wrote:
    joe_chicken, where did god get his morals? He had no religious framework to go by, he just presumably started to exist and morality began at that time too. Wouldn't he need something to refer to in order to become the moralistic being that he is?

O no!... you're not sucking me into that argument... and since when do I believe in God?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And if the answer is yourself... where did these morals originate from? your parents? your parents parents?... where did they get their morality from?

Atheists who come from a Christian background often mistake their inherited Christian morals as just common sense or their own enlightened morality... (me included... and I use Christians as an example, I'm sure it applies to most religions, I just don't have experience with them)

Hmm. This question has come up fairly often, and the choices always seem to be religion or the person.

Neither is the case, surely. I would suggest that morality is an "emergent property" of human sociability.

We all (not all, but the vast majority - take "all" as qualified throughout) appear to have certain built-in preferences for fairness and equity. These have been elucidated by games theory research. We are also intelligent, and capable of remembering previous transactions.

We might assume that early "morality" was devoted to getting along with the extended family or tribe, but as humans have come together in larger and large agglomerations, morality has been extended and formalised to allow us to cope.

Humans transact with each other. To lower the "cost" of transactions, a guide to acceptable and expected behaviour - a set of rules - is beneficial. Law is commonly used, but there are many situations where law is too cumbersome, expensive, and intrusive.

Morality, then, arises from the requirement for a "guide" to expected and acceptable behaviour between people. Religion, in turn, evolves as a reinforcement mechanism for groups - prior to the invention of the modern state, and modern policing, enforcement of law (except by mutual consent or for the benefit of the powerful) was extremely limited (hence the ferocious penalties). Consider the use of gods in oaths (as in "I swear by the gods my people swear by") - what other sanction could you use, if the state cannot enforce contracts?

So, myself, I would say that religion is an outgrowth of morality, rather than the reverse.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

O no!... you're not sucking me into that argument... and since when do I believe in God?

Well you say that society gets its morality from religion, and religion gets its morality from holy scriptures, which are the word of god...... So if you believe your own premise then you're accepting that you believe in god.

Unless... you're arguing that society gets its morality from religion, but that god's existance isn't relevent. If this is the case then you're throwing your argument all over the place and essentially concedeing that religion mirrors existing societal norms and conventions.

Which religious texts are appropriate sources of moral-icious goodness?! I have to make sure I'm reading the right one or else I might end up stoning someone to death for working on the sabbath! :eek:

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    Unless... you're arguing that society gets its morality from religion, but that god's existance isn't relevent. If this is the case then you're throwing your argument all over the place and essentially concedeing that religion mirrors existing societal norms and conventions.
    Me wrote:

Like I said before, and have repeated we needed religion for a reason, have we grown out of a need for moral guidance

Is it as Scofflaw suggests and we've built up enough of a moral leadership from our state and police force

If you don't think there's any stories of moral worth from the Bible, then you haven't read enough of it.

It's interesting how quick people are to make religion into some kind of "beast" that "touches up children", steals their money, and kills poor innocent witches going around their daily business.

Advertisement