Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos phone accessories

Options
  • 19-12-2006 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

A while back I bought a dual telephone cable reel from Argos (mostly as an extension wire to service a PC upstairs for the internet).

When I got it home I saw it was the UK set up. Back to Argos the next day and the girl took the bag and said 'Did you not get the adaptor? You get them automatically with any phones and stuff'
    No, I hadn't. So she grabbed them out of a box under the counter and off I went.

Tried to set up at home, reel has a phone wire at one end and sockets in the reel to plug the phone wire into. Turns out I only have adaptors for the wire end, not the 'socket' end.

Back to Argos again. Explain above. Repeatedly to the girl who keeps contradicting me saying you just plug the adaptor into the wire and what's the problem?. I ended up have to resort to using 'male' and 'female' explanations for the different ends of the reel and then it struck home.

Argos: 'You'd have to buy your own adaptor for that, we don't have them'.
    Me: 'I bought this product off you to use here, it's incompatible and now you want me to pay extra for adaptors. No. I want a refund'.
    Argos: 'No, you don't have a receipt, you'll have to take a credit note'.
    Me:'No I don't, the goods don't work here, they don't do what they're supposed to. If I needed an adaptor extra I should have been told at the till so I could decide whether to buy it or not'.
    Argos: 'Yeah but it'll work if you get the adaptor, I can't give you a refund'

Thankfully another member of staff overheard, walked over and said 'These always come back, they don't work in Ireland, you can have your money back'.

I asked why they're still in the catalogue and no one knew. Is it so hard for a UK company to make tiny adjustments for the Irish market? They sure know how to convert their sterling prices :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've always wondered why they have these extension cables and so on that are clearly not compatible with Irish phones. They also have the power extension cables with built in surge-protection and modem protection with BT sockets in them. To use that here you'd need two BT-Irish adapters, of the type they don't sell.

These type of thing are always in the special offer bins around the stores. Obviously not everyone returns them or they would simply stop putting them out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

jor el wrote:
    I've always wondered why they have these extension cables and so on that are clearly not compatible with Irish phones. They also have the power extension cables with built in surge-protection and modem protection with BT sockets in them. To use that here you'd need two BT-Irish adapters, of the type they don't sell.

These type of thing are always in the special offer bins around the stores. Obviously not everyone returns them or they would simply stop putting them out there.

If your looking for surge protectors,Aldi have 6 socket ones,with an on off switch and sockets for one Irish phone and one British phone.

They cost 16.99 and come with 1 British to Irish phone line cable. Not a bad deal :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Hey I work there and I haven't a clue why they sell them either :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

jor el wrote:
    I've always wondered why they have these extension cables and so on that are clearly not compatible with Irish phones.

I have wondered about the DAB radios and satellite navigation systems - there is no DAB broadcast available in Ireland is there? And are the satnav maps any good in Ireland?

On the phone extensions, some modems and answerphones arrive with BT connectors so the Argos products are occasionally useful.

Advertisement